How should a carved figurehead be finished?

I have found some wonderful information on carving figureheads, which woods to use etc. but I haven't managed to find anything on what type of finish to use.

I hand carved this figurehead from a small block of basswood and now I'm not sure how to proceed with the finishing. On the kit models of the San Felipe, the manufacturer provides a brass cast figurehead. Does this then mean that the originals were gilded wood, or brass, or is this just artistic license on behalf of the kit companies?

I'm torn as to whether I should just seal it with a satin poly, use a very light stain and then seal, or paint it with a gold paint and add accent colours for the flag portion on the "face"?

Any ideas, or suggestions greatly appreciated.

post-167-0-46056800-1385417453_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-15904500-1385417458_thumb.jpg

post-167-0-57435800-1385417463_thumb.jpg

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Good question, Sherry. I would finish your (very nicely!) carved figure so that it visually blends with the rest of your model. Basswood will darken a little with time, so it will not look quite as white as it does right now. It really depends on your personal taste. There are no wrongs or rights, really. If you are unsure, look at photos of other models and see what look appeals to you.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Sherry, nice work.... maybe a nice golden oak stain and then some satin poly? Chuck P. has used that combo on basswood and it seems to give it a nice amberish hue as well as help to highlight (darken) the more recessed areas. Might give it some color as well as intensify the excellent carving work. 

Lou

Hi Sherry - excellent carving. Whatever finish you decide to use, I would recommend doing a very light wash of a darker color, like a burnt umber, as a final step. This will settle into the deeper cuts and grooves in the carving, and will act like shadows to bring out the details of the carving.

As always, experiment on some scrap until you get an effect you're happy with. Try the very light wash, then while it's still wet gently rub off the high spots so that there are some highlights.

Frank

Thank-you all for the replies! You have all reinforced my own inclination to not paint, but rather lightly stain and seal. Even though the San Felipe's real life existence is deeply in question, I still am trying to represent it as a period Spanish Galleon and keep it as authentic as possible.

Thanks Druxey for one of the bits of information I was looking for:  "There are no wrongs or rights, really."

John: I have done a little carving in the past. I have a 3 foot long scenic carving that has been sadly neglected and unfinished - will have to remedy that in the future. So many interests....so little time!

Sherry

I wholeheartedly agree on staining/poly.  But a VERY light stain.  Chuck (and I) generally dilute golden oak (minwax) down to about 20-30% using 70-80% natural stain as the diluent. 

Since it's basswood, I'd highly recommend a pre-stain to prevent any dark blotches.  And as John suggests, try on some scrap first.  In this case use something roughly carved to see how it penetrates the carving lines.

It's beautiful......don't cover it up.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Sherry

Fabulous carving work!If you use an exterior grade clear poly,this has a brown tint which will turn the carving yellow with a couple of thin coats.The highlight of using this is you will get a deeper colour in the recesses of the carving and it will bring the detail out even more.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Ahoy Sherry :D

Be sure to test first and not on those beauties as I see others are telling you the same.

You really have a knack for carving, they're beautiful

Basswood takes stain slightly differently then most harder woods. I would also ask you how you vision your model. Every option you mentioned was a good one. But which one do you like.

Something's to consider: It will be very hard to match the other wood staining basswood. It is dark and although it is possible basswood can be fussy about darker stains.

I Photoshopped a light stain and a darker one. I only adjusted the tone. I did not add any color and these are just expressions but thought they might help you "envision your model"

post-108-0-59314500-1385433000_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-87648400-1385433026_thumb.jpg

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Thanks again everyone! As usual, lots of great tips and ideas.

Augie, pre-stain conditioner is always in stock at my house. I've done some furniture refinishing over the years and it's worth its weight in gold and I can see that it's a necessity for basswood.

JPett, those photos really do help me to visualize the finished product...definitely leaning toward the lighter one.

Sherry

Beautiful carvings, Sherry.  Will there be more?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Awesome work Sherry. How do you did it ? Dremel tool or by hand tools ?

Just yesterday I had little discussion with Bob (Rfolsom) in his log about making figurehead of CS. Your work is new inspiration for me to try something like this

Thanks

Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Sherry,

Your carving is Beautiful. IMOP the worst thing anyone could do is to paint, with work like this why would anyone want to hide it I agree with the others use a stain. Like I said that is Beautiful work. Can you tell us more as to how you did it, which tools and so forth.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Thanks again for the remarks and the tips!

Mark: This ship has a lot of carvings in its future and I'll probably step up to boxwood or pear.

Nenad and Joe: The figurehead was carved entirely with a scalpel. I just bought some new tiny tips for my dremel and will try them out on the next carving.

sudomekh: Wow, very nice!

Sherry

Sherry, my Druid is 95+% basswood.  I experimented with a lot of finishes and ended up using General FInishes Gel Urethane for an even finish without splotches.  I showed the results of my experiments in my log.  It does add a tinge of yellow that will darken with age.

Looks Great - good luck!

Mark

Janos - Thanks for the info on the Micromotor! I'll be putting that on my Christmas list. What burs do you find are the best?

Mark, you're Druid is lovely. I happen to have some Minwax gel stain in a very light colour that I will be experimenting with.

Sherry

• 1 month later...

Beautiful carving Sherry!

- Bug

Very very nice carving.

I don't know the right way. If you have made your model without any type of painting, I think it is better to leave your carving as it is. This is only my simple opinion. 

I prefer the natural color of boxwood, but your carving is simply beautiful in any way you let it.

Edited by fabius.b

current build:   USS Constitution cross section - U.S. Navy Frigate 1797

• 1 month later...

I have found some wonderful information on carving figureheads, which woods to use etc.

Beautiful carving, Sherry. Just a question - where did you get this information from? I would love to look at it too. I want to learn how to carve.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel