Mercury by The Sailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64 - Russian 20 gun brig

Hello, a few days ago I started a second project: The Russian brig Mercury.

The original

The Russian 20 gun brig Mercury (Меркурий) was laid down in Sevastopol on January 28, 1819 and launched on 7 May 1820. She was designed as a patrol ship to guard the Nothern Caucasus coast. The Mercury fought in many important naval battles during her career.

The kit

The weight of the box is really notable. The shipping details showing the kit weighed 6 kg. No wonder, the 5 mm MDF for keel and frames weighs more than plywood. Furthermore the kit contains many brass etched parts, 17 plan sheets, a flag set, a 20-page step-by-step instuction (hull assembly only) and much more.

Scale: 1:64
Length overall: 860mm
Height overall: 654mm

post-443-0-08882000-1385831861_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-44099500-1385831882_thumb.jpg

I wonder why there are no building logs. In fact I found only one in a Russian forum. Is there something wrong with this kit? Or with the ship? :huh:
Anyway, let‘s start!

post-443-0-89380200-1385831959_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-67403300-1385831974_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-62555200-1385832004_thumb.jpg

The false deck and the gundeck are a special feature of the kit. The planks are laser-engraved.

post-443-0-65239000-1385832031_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-49354600-1385832053_thumb.jpg

It looks pretty nice. Unfortunately it‘s plywood.

Next stage and the first problem was to fit the plywood gun port patterns. I‘ve soaked the parts for one hour, but for all that it wasn‘t possible for me bending the patterns vertically. So I planked the bulwark with 1x4 mm stripes. That means a little more work but much more easy on the nerves. Later on I can use the gun port pattern for marking the gunports.

post-443-0-75408100-1385832135_thumb.jpg

The planks are only glued among each other, not to the frames.

And here we have the bulwark; still without the gunports:

post-443-0-37546600-1385832190_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Richard.

------------------------------

Current build: Mercury, Russian brigAmerica's Cup Yacht Endeavour (1934), Amati

Completed build: HM Schooner Pickle, JoTiKa

Next:

Hi Richard,

This is a buildlog I'm certain to follow. Mercury was (more or less) released the same moment as HMS Pegasus and I was long in doubt which one to choose.

Although I finally settled for the "Peggy", I still might purchase and build Mercury later on and in the meantime learn from you.

Good luck and enjoy.

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Mercury is very interesting kit and one that I am considering. There are many interesting kits that don't have many build logs here or else where, and other kits we have dozens of logs. Mary Rose is another interesting kit with no build logs.

If you wouldn't mind could you post photos of the various components of the kit? The Chinese do a good job of providing such information (which is how we can see that their kits are poor quality copies....) but the european kit manufacturers provide no photos of the kit components, frustrating for the consumer.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

Hi Richard

I look forward to this one unfolding as well. Good call on the plywood gun port pattern - mine, on the Fly, is still causing me grief well after the second planking is finished and I'll take your approach should I come across another one on a future build.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Wow Richard - I was just getting into your Endeavour build, and now I find this!! You are prolific! It's interesting to note a nice model like this with no logs attached. Certainly there are some very famous subjects out there (Victory, the other Endeavour, Bounty) that get a lot of hits - but there are others like this one, the Corel Bellona (though Harlequin started one a while back...), and as demonburger noted the Mary Rose that get missed....hard to say why....I'll watch this one attentively. And please don't neglect the Endeavour! A very exciting build

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Richard,

I hope you don't mind if I pull up a chair. post-76-0-20896800-1385969256.gif  I'm rather fond of the "rare" builds.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very Cool Richard ,Looks good

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thank you very much for your kind comments and your interest, Christian, demonborger, B.E., Alister, Hamilton, ZyXuz, Mark and Pete. :)

I agree with demonborger and Hamilton. Some some ships/kits are more favoured then other.

Cristian
Well, the decision was not easy for me because I also like Pegasus, Fly, Badger and many other of those 'handy‘ ships.

demonborger
Sure, I‘ll show the components throughout my build log.

Alister
I‘m glad I didn‘t use the patterns. I‘m pretty happy with my conventional planking.

Hamilton
Don‘t worry about my Endeavour. She‘s not forgotten. ;)

Cheers, Richard.

Next:

Richard, did you have to taper the bearding area and the stern post area or is the keel and sternpost wide enough to accept the planks? Like your decision not to use the patterns...

Lou

Hi Richard,

I have just found this log looks like an interesting build we don't hear much about other countries ships, like Russia, as she was not known as a great sea power at a time  when England ruled the waves which  is maybe why the kits of the main sea powers of the period are more popular.

You have made a great start and I like how you over came your problem with the precut gunport patterns, very nice fix :D   

I will follow with interest

Edited by Jeff-E

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

What an intresting Brigg, Richard!  And with an exiting history! Thanks for sharing. I'll follow!

My carpetmonster adapted to laminate flooring!

GK - Modellbau No. 2002 a little boat 680 after E.Paris  - PoF 1/50

AL 18021 Scottish Maid the 1st Aberdeen Clipper 1839 - PoB 1/76 (?) 

Dream: a hullmodel of the 66 55/95 tons US-Revenue drop-keel Cutter 1/2"=1ft, plans by H.I.Chapelle

Thanks for stopping by Lou and Stan. :)

Lou, the sternpost should be tapered and I did it. I hope, I can show some pictures the next days.

Jeff, it seems that everybody want's to build British ships. ;)

Cheers, Richard.

Next:

I think there was a few build logs of this ship on the old MSW.... And we all know what happened....

Interesting idea, dropping the gunport patterns, looks like it should work well for you.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Andy, I hope there will no prblems occur when cutting the gunports.

Now here are some impressions of the first planking. The starboard planking is done, on port side are still some gaps.

post-443-0-99885600-1386495933_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-66477800-1386495952_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-41409900-1386495965_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-92304300-1386495981_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-79869700-1386496014_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Richard.

Next:

Wow Richard, She's taking shape pretty fast, Looks Great

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thank you Joe and Pete. :)

Well, the first planking is done now. After sanding the hull I've marked the gunports by using the gunport pattern.

post-443-0-22682800-1386534982_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-70263400-1386534994_thumb.jpg

And some more pictures of the hull as of today:

post-443-0-98764100-1386535108_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-54748500-1386535122_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-26165900-1386535134_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Richard.

Next:

Hi Richard

You are moving along very well. One suggestion is to make the gun ports narrower than the pattern suggests. I take this from my Fly pattern where the ports are arguably too wide. That might not apply to Mercury though however it is easy to widen a narrow port and much harder to make a wide port narrower.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi Richard:

Wow! You're working at a feverish pace - or at least it looks like it from here in the land where no modelling is getting done! The first planking looks great - what elegant lines on this vessel!

I agree with Alistair's suggestion - when I was dealing with the ports on Blandford, I constructed one of the cannons and made a little square of the deck planking to set it on. I could then move this little mock-up around on the deck and get a good impression of the size of the gunports, and their location. Using the kit-supplied gunport pattern as a guide to locating the ports is a great idea (and avoids the issues with the pattern that others have noted on Pegasus/Fly). But you may find that the ports sit either a little too high or too low - double checking always to be advised!

Anyway, I'm really impressed with your speed and accuracy - I've been told I build fast, but my results are nowhere near as nice as yours!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thank you very much Alistair, Hamilton and Jeff. :)

And thank you very much for the hint, Alistair. Believe it or not, there is a different of approximately 1mm in height and width between the size of the pre-cutted gunports and the plotted gunports. :huh: My marked gunports have the size of the plotted ones. Well, you can't measure enough.

And here we have gunport zero:

post-443-0-01858000-1386610442_thumb.jpg

Of course the whole gunports have to be placed higher. My fault...

post-443-0-25187600-1386611627_thumb.jpg

The position of this one should be correct now.

Cheers, Richard.

Next:

Hi Richard,

What a promising start. I like the planking and the shape of the hull.

Just one question: your last pic shows that one of the frames is in opposition with the last (or first) gunport.Of course this part is to be removed later and probably I've got this wrong but this is the first time I notice this in a kit .

Kind regards

Christian

"The original always beats the copy"

(supportive statement)

Thank you very much for your kind comments Ron and Christian. :)

Christian, it's indeed strange. The plan shows no frame at this position, but everything else seems to be correct. I think, I have to re-measure the position of the gunports. Fortunately i've cut the gunport with a knife so I can close it again very quickly. But don't worry, this is still the first planking.

Cheers, Richard.

Next:

Thank you very much, B.E. :)

Well, the main problem with the gunport patterns provided with my kit was the grain of the plywood. It was easy to bend the patterns horizontally, but imposible bending them vertically. My method was much more easy but a little more time consuming. But don‘t get me wrong, there were no problems at all glueing the gunport patterns of my Pickle. Next time I‘ll try it again with the provided patterns first.

Anyway, the cutting is done and she looks like a warship now.

post-443-0-46826800-1395580194_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-26599600-1395580217_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-04794800-1395580241_thumb.jpg

After cutting the oar ports on portside I can start with the second planking.

Edited by The Sailor

Cheers, Richard.

Next:

Don't know how you find the time Richard, like many have commented will be nice to see this rare build unfold. The kit looks to be of high quality and I'm sure you'll do her proud.

Are you planning to use the decks as supplied, or use traditional planking following the marked template?

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)