Curved deck planking

On most ship models the deck planking is seen to be done with straight parallel planks.

From french Models I know curved planking, sometimes seen on english models too.

McKay shows the planking in the AOTS Victory as following: 
lower deck: straight parallel planks, 
middle deck: straight parallel planks
upper deck: curved planks
quarterdeck curved, forecastle parallel
poodeck deck: straight paralell planks

The model of the Princess Royal looks to show curved planks on all decks, if my eyesight does not fool me.

Are there any hints, which version is to be used when and where. Where there times certain systems were preferred? Were there technical reasons, as it looks that McKay shows curved planks on the "wet" decks, while the "dry ones have straight planks?

Does anybody know more informations abaout the whereabouts of this topic?

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

Generally speaking, I think you'll find that parallel laid planking came in once sawmills were established. This would be around 1800. It was easy to cut parallel sided lumber using a circular saw. Before that, everything was cut by handsaw. Also, naturally growing, slightly curved lumber was converted with less waste and would be stronger with the grain running along the curve.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Daniel.

I have to agree with druxey sir and from researching the deck planking for Alfred it does look that planking was  straight parallel planks after 18th. From researching this, to be some what accurate on Alfred, there just doesn't seem to be to many plan's showing  how the planks were laid before 18th. at least what I can find . The ones I have found show curved planking before 1800, which has been reduced in width as it progress aft and fwd. Another thing I have found is that on the gun deck the outside plank's was joggled in to each other and the upper deck out side planking was worked top and butt, which seems to be different then what Peter Goodwing say's in his book. It does seem that this was not always done, looking at other plan's. They only give rules for the out side planking and the binding strakes which were to be oak along with the first shift which was also to be oak.  It does seem that laying the deck is a lot like running the plank on the out side, a jig saw but a fun type jig saw. To me, laying the deck in different width's and  in a curve looks more pleasing to the eye's. More in keeping with hand cut plank's, done in saw pits.  Here is a photo of Alfred's deck laid so far. If you want to see some plan's showing the lay of the planking, go to the NMM site and look up Tremendous 1784, and J7921 unknown 74. Once you start getting in to the 1810 ,1815 time frame planking seems to have been layed much different. 

Gary

post-264-0-61001100-1386085877_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-89957100-1386085973_thumb.jpg

My understanding is that on gun decks the planks were laid in shorter pieces, often top and butt, under the where the trucks ran. Worn pieces could then be replaced without lifting a 24' 0" or 28' 0" long plank.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi druxey.

I would normally agree with you sir but I found two plans that show the planking laid out at the NMM, of the Tremendous of 1784. Her gun deck shows straight planks drawn in,J3001 and her upper deck J3002 which does in fact show the outside planking in short lengths, cut in top and butt. Also there is that one of the unknown 74 which shows the upper deck with straight planks instead of top and butt planks. One thing that I have thought about Steel Plates of her gun/upper deck. Her gun deck shows the binding strakes and the upper deck show the lay out of the planking along with the top and butt plank's. Guess my question is why didn't he show the lay of the planking on the gun deck like he did for the upper deck. We may never know sir. The other plans are the Venerable of 1784, J3049 and J3052 which also shows the lay out of the planks and her upper deck only show straight planks along with the Cressy of 1807 of her upper deck which show's straight planks. From what I can tell druxey, only the plan of the upper deck of the Tremendous, shows the top and butt planking. May be you eyes can make out more of the detal sir. Do you have any primary plan number's showing the lay out of the planking for the gun/upper deck of any of them. Would be happy to have a look at them if that's ok with you.

Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

Thanks, Gary. I'm sure that there were variations on the theme as you describe. I suspect that the upper deck, exposed to weather, wore more quickly than the lower gun deck. This might explain the layout on Tremendous.

ZAZ7908 shows long planks in an undated 74, obviously earlier than 1800.

On a related note, Montague, 1779 has wonderful drawings of part of her side planking that needed replacement. These drawings were obviously done as a record in the shipyard at the time. Go to the NMM site: 'Collections'>'Search'>'Montague 1779'.

Your very welcome sir. As you said there was a lot of variations on the theme. Just wish I could find more of the top and butt showing on the gun deck and would have done Alfred's gun deck like that. One thing is for sure , when ever I get to the upper deck, her planks will be done in the top and butt. On the Montague, they are already in my stash of plans sir. Was going to copy my wale planking according to her's but went with, hum come to think of it, can't remember who. :(

Gary