Vasa by Ulises Victoria - FINISHED - Corel - Scale 1: 75 - Royal Ship

Thank you all. Your words are encouraging.  :cheers:

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Agreed demonborger.

Hey I see you own Mamoli's Royal Louis. Any idea when you will start that one?

That's the one I have as next build in my list.

Edit. Never mind. I saw you started a build log already.I even had posted there.  :mellow:

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Hiya UV,

I just noticed a question you asked of Sjors in another forum (Latest Profile Photograph) ...

Ulises Victoria asked ...

One question if I may:
Don't you feel that putting the shrouds as first step in the rigging, will interfere when you try to tie the rest of the lines in the center of the decks?

This intrigued me greatly, as both of my previous kit builds were done by attaching the shrouds and rat-lines first. And you are 100% correct. It most certainly DOES make it quite hard to later attach all of the other rigging - particularly when tying-off to belaying pins and fife rails.

(I had to use two sets of tweezers/forceps to attach and tie each and every joining knot!!)

BUT, I did it this way because that is the way the instructions suggested to do it.

In truth, not only would your way make life a lot easier, but it's actually more logical !!

The only difficulty I can foresee would be that, using your method, wouldn't it be more difficult to get the rat-lines properly attached at the platforms/crow's nest ??

For one thing, you'd have to get these lines INSIDE of all your rigging.

Just a thought .... but  I do think your way is most certainly worthy of consideration !!

In truth, I think your way would make life much simpler. 

S

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Captain Steve. Thanks for your comment.

The way I did it in my Vasa was to attach all stays first and the shrouds and ratlines last. After ALL the standing rigging was done, I started the running rigging. Only exceptions were a couple of shrouds that had to be in place to support some other lines attached to them, but no ratlines yet there. I really don't remember having particular trouble with the ratlines at the top of the shrouds, because at this stage almost no running rigging was in place yet. however... since I consider rigging the upper part of the ratlines the most difficult to do, because the shrouds are tighter together, I start the ratlines from top to bottom. That way I feel that the more I advance, the easier it becomes. Believe me... it makes a difference.

I don't think that making the shrouds and ratlines has to be the very last step in your rigging job. Just the last in your STANDING RIGGING part. They still will interfere some when attaching the running lines, but this is just the way I do it.

Edit: about tying off lines to belaying pins: DON'T :) You don't need to.

Use my method of just inserting the line in the hole, and then "plug" it with the pin or a temporary tooth pick. This will allow you to make adjustments later with no trouble. When everything is like it should be, just dip the tip of your pin in diluted white glue and attach it. This "cheat" will be covered later with a coil. ;) See the bottom of post #8 of page 1 of this build log, or post #44 here:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4679-the-kit-bashers-guide-to-the-galaxy/page-3

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Ulises,

Excellent idea, I will work with your rigging approach, when the time comes.

MIchael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hello Kim. Thanks for visiting and your comment.

I usually take my ships to modeling contests both locally and in the USA, whenever they happen near the South-East (USA) border.

They are later displayed at my home for friends and family to see, but that's about it.

Ulises,

Olà,

I need to get ready to buy some rope from Syren Rope Company. What size did you use (end up making) for your vertical ratlines? Your size looks really excellent. Also (:-) do you have any idea how many meters that you needed more or less? Lastly are your upper ratlines smaller in diameter?

I will also buy blocks for the entire build. The Corel blocks, well not ok..

Sorry about all of the questions..... thanks for your answers in advance.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hello Michael and thank you for asking me these questions, although my answers may be ambiguous. This because I may have not the same measuring units as Syren.

The way I measure my lines is by means of how many threads I put per spool in my rope walk machine. Thus my "measurement units" are like "1x3" which means I used one thread per spool or "2x3", two threads per spool, etc. For my shrouds I used a 7x3 rope and for the main stays I used a "3x3x3" which means I made a considerable length of "3x3" rope, and then used that to make another rope. I hope this is not confusing, although I doubt this information will be useful to you. The answer to your question about how many meters is also vague. Actually I have no idea how many meters I used. I didn't measure the length of the ropes I made, so I have no idea how much I used, however, by measuring the length of the shrouds and multiplying that for the number of shrouds, I roughly estimate about 8 mts for the main and fore lower shrouds only, plus some extra for tying, handling, etc. These were the thicker ones. Mizzen has thinner thread and the uppermost even thinner. So I actually used 3 different diameter ropes for all the shrouds. 

I hope this is of some help to you. Don't hesitate to ask again if needed.

Best regards!!!

Ulises,

Thanks. You are right too confusing for me to figure out. I hava a scale sense on hoe to proceed. (:-) I will order from Syren.

PS: Your rope formula sure works well. Einstein would approve. 

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Sorry I was not of help.

Wow!  I would love to go to one of those contests and see all the ships.  I wonder if they have any in WI. 

Kimberley

You'd be disappointed, Kim. Ships are so very few in those contests.You will see hundreds of cars, airplanes, tanks and just a handful of ships.Even rarer are sailing ships. You can feel lucky if there are 2. Last contest in San Antonio TX in Feb. there was a single wooden HMS Surprise, and was beaten as the "best ship" by an English destroyer or something like that.   :(

Bummer.  Oh well, I am going to go look at all the ships again at the Manitowoc Maritime Museum next weekend.  We had to cancel it for this past weekend due to weather.  We went there last year.  That is when I decided I wanted to do model ships.  Now if I can just get my ships to want me to build them nicely, I will being doing great.  :P  This time I am going to take tons of pictures while we are there.  I am getting closer to starting the rigging on my small USS Constitution I am doing, so I am hoping I can figure some things out by looking at the ships at the museum.  I sure wish one of you lived closer and could give me some hands on help. 

Kim. Check the IPMS (International Plastic Modelers Society) site and check if there is a chapter near where you live. They allow wooden ships in their contests, but plastic are most welcome!

http://www.ipmsusa.org/

Hi Ulises

While browsing through Michaels log I found your Vasa.

That’s a great build and I especially like that excellent rope work.

About the order on the workbench I would like to quote Einstein (the same quote is pined onto the door of one of my daughter’s room…):

“Only the simple minded keeps tidiness, the genius masters the chaos.”

If you allow a critical remark: I would suggest throwing away those sails and looking for a much, much finer fabric. The way it looks now, it rather spoils your outstanding rope work.

Oh, and having built the same ship years ago, I still shudder when I look at that red lantern. I wonder what Michael plans to do there.

Keep up the good work

Peter

Thank you Peter.

I am fully aware of the sails. It's too late now. I am doing the running rigging at this moment. Changing sails would be an impossible task at this time, without un-doing/re-doing a lot of work and risking damaging some other things. A friend told me that although at close look they may look too coarse, viewing them from afar they still give the impression of canvas. May or may not be true. Anyway, I will take this in consideration for my next build.

About the lantern. I may get into building exact replicas of ships sometime in the future. For now, I am not a purist and my ships are built mostly as decorative items. 

I Thank you for your comments.

Hola Ulises, it a great idea to "Use my method of just inserting the line in the hole, and then "plug" it with the pin or a temporary tooth pick."  surely I will use it.

By the way, your Corel kit have the sails already done or you made it all by yourself.  Mine has only the fabric and  I feel that this will be a real challenge!!

Saludos

Hola Karl. I'm glad you found my tip useful. I've found much more flexibility at the time to make adjustments in lines tension. 

The kit comes with no sails. It's supposed to be built without them. (See if you can distinguish that in my avatar).The fabric for my sails I bought it at a fabrics store near my home. So to add sails you have to search other sources for their rigging. Nothing about that is mentioned in the instructions.

Un abrazo.

Hello all!!!

I finished the running rigging in my Fore mast. 

Next Main, Mizzen, Flags and done!!!!

Thanks for watching.

As always, comments and critiques welcome!!!

post-975-0-27386400-1394298075_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-45009200-1394298086_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-76922600-1394298100_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-45644400-1394298111_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-41168700-1394298122_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-22657300-1394298132_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-86819000-1394298143_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-77182100-1394298152_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-48322600-1394298165_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-93512100-1394298174_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-22691100-1394298194_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-57444900-1394298204_thumb.jpg

She's really coming to life now, UV !!!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 2 weeks later...

Update March 19 2014.

Finished rigging the Main mast. Only the mizzen and flags remain to do.

Thank you for watching.

post-975-0-90981200-1395245287_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-05819200-1395245307_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-81587000-1395245319_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-92276400-1395245333_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-81245200-1395245345_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-32770000-1395245361_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-82176600-1395245375_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-35304900-1395245389_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-56311600-1395245401_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-55771900-1395245418_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-19272800-1395245428_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-93209600-1395245438_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-47739500-1395245462_thumb.jpg

Incredible Ulises!

Really a great job.

Sorry but another picture tip.......

Don't take pictures ,facing the window.

You've got now back light and you miss again a lot of details.

Be sure that the light is going on the ship.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thanks Sjors... the last photo was actually intended like that. I wanted a photo that showed only the shape of the rigging and blocks. Don't know how to call it in English. In Spanish is "a contraluz" and is a very nice effect, but obviously I lack the photographic skills and/or equipment to do a proper photo.

I'm planning to hire a professional photographer, a very close friend of mine, to take the ultimate photos of my ship once its done. :)

I understand it Ulises.

Thanks for the explanation !

And let a professional take the final pictures !

They know what they can do with such marvellous build.

Then the model will come to her right !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif