Vasa by Ulises Victoria - FINISHED - Corel - Scale 1: 75 - Royal Ship

Great job Ulises. Congrats on your completion of a great ship. What's next?

Vince

Thank you all for your nice comments.

Vince... Mamoli 1/90 Royal Louis. 120 cannons. Yummy!!! :D Got it at a super special discount at Model Expo in May 2010. Soon I will have to scratch that off my "In the stash" list and move it to my "Current Project" link. If there is something I like more than finishing a ship, is to start a new one.  :rolleyes:

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Ulises,

A BIG Congratulations. Beautiful project. Your attention to details, especially the rigging and the sails help make this Vasa very special. Muy bien hecho. It has been fun following your build as well as sharing back and forth.

I will look forward to following your French ship. A much more complicated ship that I have always admired.

Sincerely,

Michael 

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Congratulations, Ulises. That is one beautiful looking model.

I'll be looking out for your professional photographer's work in the Gallery - let us know when they are ready.

Until then, I guess it's time to "jump ship" ... to your Royal Louis build.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Wow, it is actually possible to COMPLETE THE VASA???!

Congratulations!

I've always said: "If you work on it every day, no matter how little, eventually you will finish it" ;)

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Hello Ulises...

what a GREAT job you've done... Have almost no words for this. The Vasa ist a dream - even if it is not on my wishlist I ádmit that i like your model very very much

Congratulations

Cheerio - Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Gracias Pepe.

My next project is now my current project.

Follow link in my sig. ;)

• 1 month later...

Beautiful and superb detail.....As a novice one may learn so much from your postings. I like the toothpick details as well as your rigging....outstanding for such a small space to work in.....keep up the superb craftsmanship.

Creativity Heart & Soul!

Happy Model Ship Building Friends!

John E.

Thank you very much for your kind words, John.

The best thing you can say to me is that you learned something from my work, especially since I don't consider myself an expert by any means.

I appreciate it.

Ulises,

I have been meaning to ask you, how or where did you find the size patterns for your sails?

My son's wife has one of those amazing electronic sewing machines. She offered to do all of the sails (if I decide to add them). She even said that her machine would sew on a designed a pattern on the main sail through a download into her machine.....Hmmmm. No evidence of Vasa having any sort of emblem on its sail however. I remember my mom had a black Singer (:-)

PS: I know that pre cut and stitched sails are available commercially, but I find them to be with somewhat out scale stitching.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hello Michael. The sails in my Bounty, which were unfurled was a set I bought specifically for her. And yes, they are too thick.

However, I tend to prefer to put furled sails, as in my Vasa. I do not follow any pattern. I just cut a triangular piece of cloth with the larger side to the length of the mast, and bend the sail to the mast. I may use white glue on the edges to prevent the cloth from unraveling.

The triangular shape is so that they don't get too fat in the middle.

I would love to know more about your daughter in law's "amazing" electronic sewing machine. :) Sounds like a CNC for fabric works. :)

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Hello Michael. The sails in my Bounty, which were unfurled was a set I bought specifically for her. And yes, they are too thick.

However, I tend to prefer to put furled sails, as in my Vasa. I do not follow any pattern. I just cut a triangular piece of cloth with the larger side to the length of the mast, and bend the sail to the mast. I may use white glue on the edges to prevent the cloth from unraveling.

The triangular shape is so that they don't get too fat in the middle.

I would love to know more about your daughter in law's "amazing" electronic sewing machine. :) Sounds like a CNC for fabric works. :)

Ulises

Next time I fly up to visit them I'll get more info/pic on the machine. I saw it once and thought that it was a missing part from the International Space Station (:-)

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 1 year later...

Hi Ulises, excellent job.

Did you think for a display case?

Wait for your next project.

Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

Hello Lawrence and Cristi. Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that after 1 yr and 7 months after finished, there are some people who still look at it!

Lawrence: The ropewalk machine is the Byrnes one. You can find a link to it in the right side of the home page of this site.

Cristi: Of course a display case is in order. Unfortunately some other things have taken preference.

My (then) next project, is now my current project. Click the Royal Louis link in my signature to go there. :)

• 1 month later...

I like seeing what tools, tread, rope and glues you use, keep your work bench as is. How about listing some of your chosen glues, pins and treads that you use.

Also some hints on your methods of locating the treads and ropes. Fabricating them is not a issue, locating ready made is.

Your work is great I  have the a Billings WASA that is 14th in line to build,however, at age 75 I know I will not get to it so I will soon put it up for TRADE  for a Bluejacket Liberty Ship or a Cross section model and readjust my schedule of builds, MAYBE

FANTASTIC WORK

• 3 years later...

Yes indeed, very beautiful.

Ulises was very helpful with my effort with my Vasa. He was kind enough to send me jpgs of all of his kit's running rigging sheets

after I decided to also add sails to my Corel example. I also  looked over so many of his build log photos for help - Thanks again UV.

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Much obliged, Michael. Makes me very happy that something I did helps another ship mate!!!

Best regards!

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me