Endeavour (by Dave Morse) and progressed by Probablynot - Mantua (wood) - 1:60

I received the mostly-built kit model of the Endeavour from Dave on 29th November 2013.  He told me it was his first-ever venture into wooden POB building.  He started it in the early 1990s, but stopped work on the model when his sight began to fail.  For a long time it was consigned to his attic, so when he passed it on to me there was a lot of dust and dirt on the model.
That might not have been a problem if Dave had only got as far as the hull, plus perhaps a few of the deck adornments.  But no - he had done all that, and he was already well into the rigging before calling it a day.

I don't want to criticise Dave's work.  Frankly I think his planking is better than I've managed in my Enterprise build (although he's left nail holes that I would have wanted to fill in, and I shall probably have a go at them!).  Some elements will need to be improved, such as the mounting of the little cannons (name?) along the railings.

First task, though, will be a lot of cleaning.
Before I took the photos here, I did have a serious 'go' at the model with a fine paintbrush and a 'puffer' borrowed from my photography box.  But there's still a lot of dirt, some of which seems to have been wetted on.

The rigging is about two-thirds done, but Dave's approach to ratlines was 'twist-and-liberally-superglue' rather than 'get-it-right'.  That would have been because of the failing eyesight, I'm sure.  If I just finished his rigging in my own style it would look a bit of a hotch-potch, so my inclination is to strip off all the ropework and start it all over again.
And that would let me make a more precise job of the brasswork beneath the deadeyes (where Dave seemed to avoid trying to solder the ends together).

Some of the spars are misaligned.  Some are broken - perhaps repairable, perhaps not.  I don't want to go too far back in the original build, so I'll probably aim to make repairs where I can, instead of getting too deeply into a rebuild.

I'm short of original (Mantua) rope.  I may have a problem assessing exactly what dimensions of rope I'll be needing.  All you other Endeavour builders, with logs here, will have to expect some elementary questions from me over the next few months!

I want to do justice to Dave's nicely-built model.  Any help that anyone can give me will be very much appreciated.

Photos to follow shortlyt.  I need to cut the sizes down first.

Picture 131202-2r:
Overall picture.  The bowsprit isn't fixed in place; one of its spars is in fact snapped in two, but held in situ by love.

Picture 131202-3r.
The foredeck.  The bowsprit isn't fixed - I just put it in place for the picture.
The hatch has been fitted on the starboard side instead of the port side.  Does ths matter?  I don't know whether there's a hole underneath, so I daren't remove it and reposition on the port side.
One of the little cannons is missing - are replacements obtainable?
The belaying pin racks are fitted below the level of the rail.  I know there's been some discussion about this elsewhere, and the racks further aft are level with the rail.  Should I worry?

Picture 131202-4r.
Detail amidships.  Dave seems to have done something funny with the wheel - he wanted to instal some ropes simulating the ones that would have operated the rudder, and Mantua's standard fittings didn't include that.

Picture 131202-5r.
Stern and rudder assembly.  There's a brass wire extending upwards through all the rudder hinges, instead of pintles on the top part of each hinge.  This seems to agree with the Mantua instructions, but is it right?   (In this model, the wire has a few kinks in it - I'll have to do something about that ...)
You can see that Dave left nail holes visible , and the paint job didn't cover them over.  Should I leave "as is"?  My heart says I should fill in and paint/varnish over.  Ditto the nail holes and plank gaps in the main hull.  By and large the planking job is very good, but my own ideas of finishing are obviously a bit different from Dave's.

Dave didn't solder together the ends of the wires underpinnng the deadeyes.  If I hadn't been reading all the build logs here, I would probably have ignored this.  But hey, you've educated me ...

What do I do?  I feel I ought to bring it up to scratch, and correct what I perceive as faults.  But ...
Is this Dave's model?  Am I just adding the bits he couldn't manage?  Or should I let myself add a bit of my own personality and correct it where I see errors?

post-25-0-60974300-1386015729_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-87515800-1386015744_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-59690200-1386015759_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-07656900-1386015774_thumb.jpg

What do I do?  I feel I ought to bring it up to scratch, and correct what I perceive as faults.  But ...

Is this Dave's model?  Am I just adding the bits he couldn't manage?  Or should I let myself add a bit of my own personality and correct it where I see errors?

Question: What are you going to do with it when its done?  Is it going back to Dave's house?  For his kids or something?  If so, then I would rework as required (e.g. the lines) and do as little as possible.  I'd try to keep in mind that you are finishing someone's project as a favor to them and respect their earlier work.  (and you get browny points in heaven for being generous to a fault).

ON THE OTHER HAND, this is an abandoned project.  It set in the attic for how many years?  Did someone say to you, "will you finish this for me" or did they say "here, you might enjoy fooling with this."  If you are not planning on completing it and returning it, then I would do anything I wanted up to and including making  a pirate M&M ship out of it.

(If you make it a Christmas themed ship, I can send you some red white and green rigging) :)

PopJack, it was a gift.  It had been in his attic for around 17 years.  I did promise Dave I'd give him photographs when the job's done, but it really didn't matter to him.  He was clearing his attic and had been intending to trash the model.  It was just by chance that the Acting Admiral's sister (Dave's neighbour) mentioned to him my interest in model ships.  He was glad to pass it on to someone who might want to try completing it.
And I do want to complete it.  For now, I'm just removing the dirt that's accumulated on it.  My next step will be to fill a few gaps and nail-holes in the planking, and maybe add a coat of varnish.  After that, there are a few minor building details where I feel I can make improvements.
No, PopJack, I really don't think a Christmas-themed model would be right (lol!).  In due course I'll be looking for proper advice re the rigging (dimensions of the ropes etc, and where I should go to find suitable supplies).  Dave's half-finished work looks OK at first glance, but (eg) his ratlines are glued rather than knotted.  Some of the spars are broken, and I'd like to align them a tad more neatly than he managed.  Plus, some of the brasswork underlying the ratlines needs to be tidied up a bit.
So my inclination is to strip all the existing rigging off and start all over again.  Not yet though.  And anyway, I've already got two other builds in progress ...