Skipjack 19 foot open launch By Michael Mott 1/8th scale Small

Hexnut I have not done that to any great degree, I will have to look into all that but might be moving again soon anyway so won't bother yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent the last 3 days at the wooden boat festival in Hobart and was amazed to see just how common the reversing mechanism in this build is. There are heaps of examples here in beautiful old boats and thanks to Michael I know exactly how they work

hi Micheal i,ve just started today to read your log and i,m very impressed so far and i,ve only got to page 7 so far, i,ve down loaded your pdf and gone side way,s on your external link,s thank you for them i,m learning a lot i will be following your update,s i don't suppose there will a download for the full plan and just think your log will be a most invaluable building instruction,s and when i find the Watch button i will be pressing IT.

gary

Gary,

Upper right hand corner... next to the topic title..  labeled:  "Follow this topic".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have spent the last 3 days at the wooden boat festival in Hobart and was amazed to see just how common the reversing mechanism in this build is. There are heaps of examples here in beautiful old boats and thanks to Michael I know exactly how they work

Steve I am glad that I have been of help regarding these mechanisms.

Gary, thank you for your kind words. I have been very fortunate in my working career inasmuch that I have always been able to work doing the things I enjoy doing the most. The interesting thing is that while I worked building models commercially I did not have much interest in building models for myself.

I have a tendency to work in spurts and am very focused during these times, I think it has a lot to do with solving ways to accomplish the next part. currently I am procrastinating about what part to tackle next. A little bit of "model-makers block"

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael, as has been said to me, sawdust is great for shifting the block. I find making a simple wooden component really helps get the head clear so a fresh view is available

I think it has a lot to do with solving ways to accomplish the next part. currently I am procrastinating about what part to tackle next. A little bit of "model-makers block"

Michael

Haven't you got a cylinder head to make Michael?   ;)

I love watching you solve your problems and like others greatly admire your talents. But take your time, we'll still be watching.   :)

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

A little bit of "model-makers block".  Writers block, designers block, artists block, yes we all go through it from time to time.  There’s usually something in the back of our mind nagging us.  The car that needs to be fixed, the furniture that needs to be moved, the book we want to read, go do that nagging thing and come back refreshed.  We will still be here.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I have a tendency to work in spurts and am very focused during these times, I think it has a lot to do with solving ways to accomplish the next part. currently I am procrastinating about what part to tackle next. A little bit of "model-makers block"

I get this same thing but I find the best way to cope with it is to work on another project (or mini-project) for a few days after which I can usually find inspiration on my model again.

Lextin.

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

Hi Micheal on one of your ext link,s popular mechanic,s what a find i,ve book marked it i will be back to that mag a lot thank you for the link and don't forget more ex link,s very informative and the engine,s looking really good, can't wait to get back to the boat. i will be requesting a friendship i hope you will say yes

I kinda went through a  'block' in the later part of this past summer.....I know what it's like.   it doesn't last forever,  my friend........you'll get some idea brewing.......and then ,  off you go! ;)  are you getting a lot of snow?..........we SURE are!!!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I am working on the spark plugs today, and it is not snowing.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

No snow today ... It's just freezing your n.ts off ... The snowdeck is probably thick enough not to have some more downpoor

I cannot imagine how you will make the spark plug ... Will it have any porcelain insultaion ?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get a little break from driving today and was able to stay home. I had a couple of hours in the shop and worked on the spark plugs a little more.

A few more bodies were turned up out of brass. the small diameter stub represents the plug body and will be filed to a hex section the larger diameter of the rest will represent the circular plate that is on top of the head covering the oval plate as in this picture

1790.jpg

post-202-0-29117600-1425259304_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-05248200-1425259306_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-59012000-1425259307_thumb.jpg

Next I cut a strip 1/8th by 1/8th off the side of a scrap of Corian that I used as a cutting board in the kitchen using the tablesaw.

post-202-0-14812200-1425259309_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-18158400-1425259311_thumb.jpg

Some time ago I made a special 4 jaw collet from a bolt in order to make square headed bolts out of 1/8th square stock

This came in handy for turning down the Corian to .078" diameter after drilling a .028" hole about 3/8" deep

post-202-0-80487400-1425259312_thumb.jpg

I turned short sections 1/16 long down to the finish diameter and progressed toward the chuck, this helped to support the work. once the full length was turned I slipped the steel core rod into the Corian and then pressed the brass over the Corian, using the tailstock chuck to ensure a good alignment.

post-202-0-35090700-1425259314_thumb.jpg

and a shot with the finger for scale

post-202-0-63449300-1425259315_thumb.jpg

The electrode was tested with a piezoelectric crystal to see how the spark would work and it worked fine I will need to add a steel in for the ground so that the spark jumps from steel to steel and not steel to brass.

post-202-0-43115900-1425259317_thumb.jpg

I will do some more experiments on the fabrication next week if I get time.

It was a good stress reliever today to focus on the model and take my mind of other things.

Michael

Michael, those are amazing ! Your machining skills are incredible ! :cheers:

P.S Hope your wife is doing better with her health.

Edited by Jack12477

Thanks for all the likes, Thanks Jack, Judy sounded great on the phone this evening, I am looking forward to seeing her tomorrow.

Here is the short clip of the spark test I suppose I could have waited till dark then the spark would have been more visible, when it is set up with the electronic timing the spark will be triggered by the magnet in the flywheel.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Terrific, Michael. Working spark plugs! Who else would have thought of it? Sorry to read of your wife's health issues. I hope things will continue to improve for her. I'm sure it's a stressful time for you. Best wishes.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Here, I was thinking the motor would be using glow plugs and model aircraft fuel... but, my jaw is dropping... working spark plugs.   I hope it runs on regular and not premium gas.  ;)  From the camming, (I went back and re-looked again) it looks like a 4-cycle then?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Michael,

Incredibale, I couldn't believe my eyes at the size of those sparkplugs. Don't know whether Judy will be glad when she sees that cut Corian board ...

Take care driving, and best wishes to Judy

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

"I would never have believed someone could hand build a spark plug that small,"

Mark I have seen a smaller one on one of the model engine sites.

Druxey, thanks for the well wishes.

"From the camming, (I went back and re-looked again) it looks like a 4-cycle then?"

Mark yes it will be 4 cycle I still need to separate the cams from each other in order to set them properly on the cam shaft.

"Don't know whether Judy will be glad when she sees that cut Corian board ..."

When I have finished re trimming the edge no-one will be able to tell it being an odd sized piece of scrap to begin with :)

Jack, thanks for the support.

And thank you to all who posted the like option, it means a great deal to me to be able to connect and share our hobby.

Michael

We all need our hobbies to relieve the stress of caregiving. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Michael,

Engine builder extraordinaire!! Absolutely fabulous result with the spark plugs, very many congratulations on a successful test.

Keeping fingers crossed that all health matters are resolved soonest,

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

fantastic job with the spark plugs Michael......how much clearance at TDC?   very sorry to hear of your admiral's health problem.......I wish her the best  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bob, Row, Denis thanks for your great comments, and for all the likes recently.

.how much clearance at TDC?

I had to go back an measure it, it is set to be .047" I might need to change that, I don't know at this point. but the design will enable me to make a change if I need to.

post-202-0-11697000-1425482339_thumb.jpg

spark plug.pdf

I will be making a small short sleeve at the bottom end of the plug that will thread in this will be then notched to creat a short stub to act as the ground for the plug so that the spark jumps from steel to steel.

Michael