Skipjack 19 foot open launch By Michael Mott 1/8th scale Small

Elegant solution, Michael.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

John, Steve, Denis, Druxey, Mark, Lawrence, thanks for your kind remarks. A big thanks also to all who have visited.

The valves and lifters have been a tricky bit of work so far. Had to make a wrench for the reduced sized nuts.

post-202-0-92974000-1428261794_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-10801100-1428261793_thumb.jpg

drilling the holes for the taper pins to fix the cams

post-202-0-17175600-1428261796_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-95879400-1428261796_thumb.jpg

All the cams are now pinned in place.

post-202-0-87952100-1428261798_thumb.jpg

here is a video of the valves in motion

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Truly amazing Michael. Poetry in motion is what comes to mind in watching the video,

In terms of the wooden base that the motor is often shown sitting on, is it meant to actually sit in the hull, or is it just a temporary mount? The reason I'm asking is that it's so beautifully made as well, that it seems more of a permanent thing. Just curious.

Cheers

Patrick

Nigel, Patrick, thanks for the kind remarks, and thanks to all who visited and made it known.

Patrick the wood base is just a placeholder so that I can work on the engine. The engine will be mounted on some Costello bolsters set for it when it is mounted in the hull.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Beautiful, smooth action, Michael.  Sweet.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Nigel, Patrick, thanks for the kind remarks, and thanks to all who visited and made it known.

Patrick the wood base is just a placeholder so that I can work on the engine. The engine will be mounted on some Costello bolsters set for it when it is mounted in the hull.

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks and I'm sure that you're not far off from firing it up!

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Michael.

Not are you a Exelent model ship builder BUT you are also a Exelent engineer.

Amazing work you got going there.

Have been following this build for some time and the shear amount of detail to the little bits is what makes this one of the best.

Truly outstanding.

Regards Antony.

BTW. Happy birthday.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hi Michael, Happy Birthday, your boat is coming together rather nicely, Looking good as always

Best Regards,

Perte

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Michael,

Quite simply stunning!! I think so much more could be added to that but I honestly believe I'd only be repeating what others have already said!

Out of interest, will you be using an appropriate Loctite to attach the lobes to the camshaft or are the taper pins alone sufficient? ( to the uninitiated (me!) the taper pins seem to be incredibly small across the diameter, although the lobe loading isn't exactly going to be particularly high...)

I'd certainly appreciate your thoughts on that and, in the meantime, belated birthday greetings!!

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

First of all thank you all for the kind messages and birthday greetings. Judy and me went for a nice walk and them met her Mum and Brother for supper at a great Greek restaurant that has tasteful furnishings and no TV's.

Row the taper pins are quite tough, I got the idea about using them from some old mechanical navigating equipment that all sorts of splines and gears that were fixed with small taper pins.

I started work on the inlet manifold today, it is 1/8 inch diameter copper tube I am going to use a petrol vapor carburetor. By all accounts this type of carb works well in small engines. I can make the carb look scale and have the vapor pass right through the model carb with the fuel tank hidden under the seat or floor boards.

the tube was annealed and filled with some .093 styrene them bent around some 1/2 inch dowel, the the loop was folded down a few degrees to match the face on the cylinder.

post-202-0-66154300-1428465677_thumb.jpg

The extra length was cut off with a jewelers saw and the styrene burnt out. the flanges were turned on the lathe filed to shape then soldered to the tube. The faces that mate to the cylinder were cleaned up with a file and a sanding stick.

post-202-0-57195100-1428465678_thumb.jpg

The four short holes in the cylinder needed to be tapped for the manifold studs these holes are only .060" deep I reground the tip of a 1x72 tap to make it absolutely flat and square, then just knocked off a few thou with an Arkansas Stone. The head was rest in the small machine vice so that the manifold face was horizontal, used the back end of the #52 drill(.063")

to locate the first hole then was able to index to all the rest following the numbers on my plans.

the drill was replaced with the tap with one of the brass thumb discs for the tapping.

post-202-0-40205800-1428465679_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-19484800-1428465680_thumb.jpg

I turned up some stud from some .073 music wire, this allowed me to cut a slot for a small screwdriver to set the stud temporarily, I will use high temp loctite with the final set up. The stud on the right is too long so I will shorten it up to match the left one.

Because the space is pretty tight I made some special small diameter nuts out of some 3/32 allen key, (a great source for small hex-stock old allen keys) I softened it by heating up to a bright cherry red and letting it cool slowly.

post-202-0-23727400-1428465681_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I will finish off the inlet by adding the T and the bottom of the loop which is where the carb with attach about 1/4 inch below the T

Thank you to all who visited the log over the last day or so.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Never thought to go for dinner to a Greek ... always went for the TV ... Good to hear you had an enjoyable evening.

And you even are working on that engine!!! Nice work on those inlet flanges, I don't know how you do it, but when I tap a hole the tap mostly breaks ... Splendid job again, cannot wait to see the next part!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Amazing work Michael. Drilling those holes so precisely in something that you have already put so much work in would have scared me to death.

"Greek restaurant that has tasteful furnishings and no TV's."  Sounds top notch.  Glad you had a good time.

Oh ya, the motor looks good too.  I like the petrol vapor carbonator.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Michael

Thank you for share and showing us every time how you working in details. This log is incredibly instructive - even if I don't know anything about motors.

... abundant late but with all my heart - happy birthday "master"!  :) 

Best Regards!

Mike

current scratch build 1:15

Colin Archer - RS14 "Stavanger"

very nice work ........truly amazing  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and for the visits to my build.

I ended up having to make a second inlet manifold that was a bit shorter than the first one, I also made the flanges a little bigger.

post-202-0-05490300-1428640709_thumb.jpg

The brass piece at the bottom is threaded 6x80 for the carb body. I am waiting for Roger to get back to me with some pictures of the manifold side before proceeding.

Michael

Fabulous work as always Michael & many thanks for the taper pin explanation.

Greek restaurant? Isn't that where they smash the plates? Guess it saves on the washing-up...

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

This morning I received a great photo from Roger so then spent most of the rest of the morning learning how to make even tighter loops in the tubing.

post-202-0-12569100-1428798577_thumb.jpg

After a while I got a couple of parts which looked like a good match, I also used a slightly larger diameter tube that was brass so I also needed another pair of flanges (I'm getting faster at making them at least).

post-202-0-13101700-1428798578_thumb.jpg

Soldered them up the same way as the first two times.

post-202-0-14492800-1428798579_thumb.jpg

Drilled a larger hole in the new loop

post-202-0-03113500-1428798580_thumb.jpg

I wanted to ensure that it was all lined up so soldered the bottom piece while it was on the engine.

post-202-0-23979400-1428798581_thumb.jpg.

post-202-0-12175300-1428798582_thumb.jpg

After lunch I did some more tight loops and get a better bend on the lower part so un-soldered the bottom piece and added the new one with a 5 x 64 threaded coupling

Here is the new tap I made it the same way as the other taps.  

post-202-0-44958800-1428798585_thumb.jpg

and the final configuration. now I can make the carb

post-202-0-33189300-1428798583_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-48468700-1428798584_thumb.jpg

Michael

Michael, the further you go, the more confused I am about the mechanics of the engine, and the more impressed I am by your machining skills!

Mark

Hi Michael and Mark

....I'm afraid I'm exactly like Mark. I haven't got a clue what's going on, either.

At least I know impressive work when I see it.

Cheers

Patrick

Some questions Michael.

I would expect the carburettor much closer to the inlet, as I would expect the petrol spray/vapour to become more droplet like - when coming from farther away - and thus give less combustion as it won't burn as efficient as vapour. So why does it get mounted that low with so much tubing to reach the cylinder head ...?

Furthermore I would expect the manifold to be off tubing from an even diameter ... the one attatched to the carburettor is smaller, and rather severely bent, won't that influence petrol flow ?

Having applied for curiosity satisfaction, I must again express my admiration for your metallurgical prowes

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hello Carl,

regarding your comments about the shape of the manifold, I am simply following the shape of the original design.

This is the manifold off a 3 HP buffalo Engine

post-202-0-47610200-1428859323.jpg

I am going to use a vapor carb which is in fact no carb at all see this video

I have to admit I am experimenting here and following the concept of using fumes in the same way as the chap in the video. I am also pushing the limits of what might be possible, I don't know.

I believe I can make this work, I might have to use butane or Propane, but they require a different set up for feeding the engine, if the vapor doesn't work I will go with the butane.

The folk who build a lot of model engines have done a lot of experimenting and I am following some of their ideas regarding the fuel.

Thanks for all the fine comments and visits.

Michael