Skipjack 19 foot open launch By Michael Mott 1/8th scale Small

Well I had a meeting yesterday with my GP, he had received the report from the neuropathy tests, and used words like severe and immediate. so it looks like I will be getting surgery sooner rather than later. Doc was sending out three letters to different surgeons in hopes of speeding up the required work.

That said I was a bit surprised that it was so serious, so I will be taking a break, which won't be easy.

A good time to do some gentle tidying up. and reading and smelling the roses so to speak.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Sorry to hear that news Michael, but better to get it corrected now before it gets any worse.  Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. 

Very nice progress on the Skipjack.  Sorry to hear of your problems with CTS Michael.  I wish you a successful outcome from the surgery and a rapid recovery.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

All the best for a quick and speedy FULL recovery Michael.  I think we all need to take that break every so often, but not with such extenuating circumstances.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Michael - 

You can add my sincere wishes to all the others for a speedy and complete recovery.\

Hang in there , my friend.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Michael, this getting older gig is a pain isn't it.

I'm reminded of Dave Allen who said "I don't mind getting older, when you consider the alternative"

Hope to see you recovered soon.

Steve

Adding to the many wishes for a full and complete recovery.  We will all miss your posts.    Don't know about you, but with some down time available from making sawdust, I enjoy researching future potential projects as much as the actual build.  Much harder to make mistakes   when turning pages or looking through the 'net for contemporary information.

Good luck

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your kind and thoughtful comments.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

• 4 weeks later...

I am unable to report any progress at this time, I am still waiting to see the surgeon, I am on a wait list and about 3 weeks ago I was told it could be up to 6 months, I am doing some puttering in the workshop, mostly little things and reading, doing some jigsaw puzzles. computer work is more painful that puzzles or reading. doing some simple stuff learning to use my left hand more.

Michael

We are all experiencing the effects of protracted medical needs being delayed or indeterminant. When things are not exactly dire and/or considered elective it seems we go to the back of the bus. I would imagine that the waiting is so frustrating. Limbo is an uncomfortable feeling for one so productive.

Joe

Hi Druxey, I have been thinking about it the last few days, I will see how it goes.

Joe, yes there is a lot of delay regarding medical situations that are not deemed emergency, here as well.

Michael

Michael, I'm sorry to hear of the delays but yes it's happening all over the world at the moment.

We have no alternative but to wait patiently for your master classes to resume. All the best!

Hope your issues are addressed soon Michael, wait lists are a real pain (I hope not literally for you).

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I have my fingers crossed that things settle down in the world with this virus.  Having a surgery being put on hold is not fun and probably more stressful than going through the procedure.   I had a call from my surgeon today to cancel the Monday appointment.   Hospital is full up and they even using the recovery rooms as wards.  The other factor was my sinuses are in the pits with all the smoke filling our valley and coughing (which I've been doing lot of) isn't good for a heart procedure involving catheters. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

We are all missing your updates, Michael, whatever the project. You’re in an elite league when it comes to model building. Here’s hoping you will get the medical attention you need soon.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 4 weeks later...

Some good news I saw the surgeon a couple of weeks ago and was scheduled for surgery on the 20th September, this morning I was slotted into a cancellation spot on the 9th September so next week it is.

Michael

In about 5 to six weeks after surgery I am told. I should be able to start pushing chisels again, I am looking forward to it.

Michael

Great news on the surgery, Michael.  I hope and wish for the best outcome.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good luck Michael! 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways