HMS Montague/ Alfred class by Gary B - 74 gun ship built in 1779 (garyshipwright)

Hello Gary,

great work, I love to see your ship in progress and admire your stamina to build it. I'm now also engaged with the 32 pounders and happy that I have only 5 of them.

When I see your pictures I do not know if it is only the perspective or are the rails not parallel to each other. It looks as if they divided to the front.

post-13971-0-06676400-1416127494_thumb.jpg

When I remember Goodwin right and look at the plans, the rails are running with the sheer of the outside of the ship, not the decks. The red lines are the decks. It's the draught or the Dragon.

post-13971-0-51147500-1416128267_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Siggi

Edited by Siggi52

Regards,

Siggi

Recent build: HMS Tiger (1747)

Captains Barge ca. 1760, scratch build
HMS Dragon 74 gunner 1760, scratch build

Hi Siggi.

From what I can tell her rails are running with the outside sheer. Here is a photo from her plans and another photo showing  what I built. Easier to tell when they are side to side. Might just have to take another hard look. Siggi it might be the angle I took the photo at, maybe a little on the high side.

Gary

post-264-0-09198900-1416146760_thumb.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

It's all a matter of the viewpoint from which the photos are taken.   The gallery rails are only parallel when viewed from perfectly square on.

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Hi Mark.

Just want to say thanks for all the great photo's sir along with all the other folks photo's, they are a great help in figure out some of the items and hope you get to take more of them in the future. I did lower the leading edge of the top front rail maybe a hair or two to follow the planking behind it which does run with the sheer and used it as a stright edge. Does seem to have brought it more in line. Lowering it two much just might  mess with the items above it. You are so right Mark it is the viewpoint.One can look at it from a thousand view's and still not get it right, having your eyes and others as another set of eyes really help's to see what one doesn't.  I found out some times leveling something depends on how other items look around it which sometimes are not level. Here is a old and new showing the top rail forward edge. At the moment it is just pinned in place in case I need to take off another hair or two. 

Gary

DSC_0170.JPG

Hi Gary;

Thanks for the thank you!  It's a pleasure to be of help to someone carrying out such a carefully detailed and impressive project.  I will start my build log soon,  I think;  although I am only at the drawing stage at the moment,  this may be of interest to some,  and I have built the lower deck cannons;  just have to do the upper deck guns and the ships' boats;  all of which I hope to get done during the drawing work stage.

Mine will be at a scale of 1:60,  though,  as my wife (bless her!) has refused to put up with a larger model in the house.

Kind regards,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Hi Gary,

yes it's the viewpoint, of course. I learned, that when I'm looking from the right ore left, it looks every time different. Then I made photos and then I could see what is wrong. It took me also with my Dragon several starts to get the right angle. And the windows I changed, I think three times!

The last two pictures looking really better. I would also wait with the galleries until the whole planking is ready. I made it so. Then you could see where the sheer lines are running. Ore mark them now with a pencil. 

Best regards,

Siggi

Regards,

Siggi

Recent build: HMS Tiger (1747)

Captains Barge ca. 1760, scratch build
HMS Dragon 74 gunner 1760, scratch build

Much better, Gary! If you hadn't adjusted that, all the gallery work above would have been thrown off. Provided that all the work above is parallel to what you have now, all should be well.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 3 months later...

Hi Gary,

I was browsing through you build log to see some details and noticed some missing images, especially on page 10,11 and 12. What happens?

Alex

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Hi Gary,

I was also looking back at your section on your gun carriages for good advice around page 10, and the images are not showing up. Does a moderator need to look at this?

Mark

Gary needs to reload them.   There was an issue a few months ago and some pictures were lost. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Gary, no problem with delay, we have patience. I'm glad to see the photos of incredible work at main wales and fire hearth once again :)

Alex

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Hi Gary,

Thanks for re-posting those images. They are invaluable!

Can you remember how you did the pins holding the trucks on the axles? And how you did the caplocks holding down the cannon to the carriage? These details are beginning to attract my attention, and yours look great!

Best wishes,

Mark

Hi Mark.

Sorry to take so long in getting back to your question, and work is keeping me away from home.  As far as the metal pins for holding the trucks in place, came from the scrap bin along with the little eyelets that hold the capsquare in place. They were modifie to look more like the item's and then given a coat of black paint I believe. Some of the parts came from places like scale hardware and  model expo, and even hobby lobby.  The good thing about getting small parts like this if you can, save's one time to put in to other things, which of course seems that even that little bit of time is spent making a living. Enjoy the photos sir, maybe one day I will some time to work on her. In the first photo, slightly to the bottom left, you can see the spike that hold the trucks in place and in the second photo to the right of the capsquare is the small eyelets and the u shape round copper that is used to hold the capsquare in place. When the small eyelet is installed a small pin is inserted to keep the capsquare locked in place.

Gary

post-264-0-93441900-1425158441_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-94718600-1425158457_thumb.jpg

Gary,

Looks great. Your carriages are coming along nicely. One question I have. Looking at your figures. Did they have ear protection back in them there days? :piratetongueor4:

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Good to know you're still alive and kicking, Gary! Hopefully you'll soon get serious model making time back again. In the meantime, take care.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

HI Gary,

Thanks, that is very helpful.  Those metal parts are very impressive!

I am still struggling a little with casting the guns, and so then it is a nice break from that to work with another set of challenges, the small metal pieces.

I look forward to seeing your progress on the Alfred when you can break free from work.

Mark

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I am thinking about buying either the Oliver Cromwell or the Alfred. Still undecided. So I'm trying to get as much information as possible to help me make up my mind.

What happened to this build???

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

• 4 months later...

Hello Every one. I finally went back to work on Montagu after a long break due to work and a few health issues. I was building some plastic models but nothing like building and working on Montagu. Also have done some changes to the work shop and do believe that I finally have the ship yard just the way I like it. Other then a few larger tools and a new  drafting board hung from the ceiling not much more to do but get to work on Montagu. I did finally get around to making my hobby bench and not only was it a joy to build but is even more enjoyable to work on. Hope you enjoy the photos of Montagu. Also added a gantry to the building board that was taken from Eds idealy and book. should come in real handy. For the last couple of days I have been working on the port side channel wale. At first I did it in pear but didn't like the color of it against the frames and changed it to boxwood and looks a whole lot better. If you have any question's let me know, and glad to be back. Gary

20171212_141002.jpg

20171212_141015.jpg

20171212_141140_001.jpg

20171212_141055.jpg

20171206_163951.jpg

20171212_111516.jpg

20171212_111632.jpg

Gary,

Great to see your build again! I will follow your progress with enthusiasm.

And that new bench looks terrific. Hard to pass by that without it calling you to sit down and work on something...

Mark

Welcome back Gary; nice to see your build of Albert again.  I like that bench too!

Good to hear that you're on top of your health issues.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Gary:

Glad to see you back at it. Looking forward to more progress.

Russ

Gary, good to see you back!  Hope the health issues are past you.

Your Alfred is a really beauty.  Looks like a pretty big model - can I ask the size and scale?

Love the bench too, really nice work!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)