HMS Montague/ Alfred class by Gary B - 74 gun ship built in 1779 (garyshipwright)

On a different not I have this tool, had it for years and not sure what its called, maybe a depth/ angle gauge. Any ideals where I might get another one. Comes in real handy and would like to have a second one when this one is tied up. Thank you good sir's. Sorry guys already found one.  Gary

20190612_130418.jpg

20190612_130427.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=depth&PN=RULE-DEPTH-GAUGE-12435.html#SID=381

In the UK, not sure where you are. I have used RDG for a looooong time and they are good on customer service.

HTH

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Gary, unfortunately no as it was raining heavily during my visit and no flash photography was allowed on board for some reason???  I would have thought flash would not be a serious problem but there must be some good reason for it.

I managed an outside shot or two before the rain drops clouded the lens too much, and also there were some areas roped off as 'no access' when I visited including the after areas of the ship on the lower deck - a big disappointment.  One positive though, I had a great tour of the Warrior but that doesn't help you much.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Gaetan . Bruce I ordered one off of Amazon already sir. Should come in handy, and thank you.  Pat sounds like you didn't have to bad of a time.  I have heard other people say the same thing. Like you said they must have a good reason.  Well maybe next time you go you will have a better time on the Victory. Gary

• 6 months later...

Hi Alan.  Forgive me sir, wasn't sure what Travis was saying so I answered him. In the mean time good sir I have become retired and have spent the last year in adding a extensin and gas heat to the shop. I have done a little work on Montagu so am really looking fwd to spending a lot more time on her. Life sometimes just gets in the way. Wish it was better but am happy with it. Gary

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

Edited by garyshipwright

So pleased to hear that you’ll be spending some more time on your wonderful Alfred build Gary! Looking forward to watching your progress and learning from you as you go.

Welcome to retirement, Gary.    Mark is correct, there aren't enough hours in the day.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I've missed your updates on your beautyful build. It's good to see that you will continue.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks guys. If feels good and as you said there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to get every thing done. But I am really enjoying my self.  Any way here is a couple of photos of the shop and addition to it. I added it in where do you do yours.  

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

Edited by garyshipwright

Good Evening Gary;

That looks like a very well set-up workshop you have made there for yourself. Your library looks really impressive too. I recognise the set of Model Shipwright, and quite a few of the books, but some of them I don't know.

I am jealous (in a good way!) of your dust extraction set-up. I spent some time trying to get mine to work properly, but so far without much success. 

Thanks for the pictures. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Evening Mark. I think the key is the clear vue cyclone which has a lot of suction.  I use to have a list of all the books I had at the time I made it and since then have added even more. I see about making up a list and thank you for your kind words. Its taken me a few years to get it to this point. Once I finished the addition it really opened up the shop. Gary

Good Evening Gary;

Thank you for the message. I will look into this cyclone idea, and see if anything like it is available over here.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

First A happy new year to you and your family Gary Yes Retirement is wonderful One has to learn to use the "NO" word once in a while because people think that now you are retired you have all the time in the world, and it is amazing how fast it gets eaten up helping others.

The workshop looks pretty nice.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Gary,

Your shop is larger than our first apartment!!!   

Good for you on your retirement, super congratulations.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

A happy and healthy New Year to you, Gary. Enjoy your new and improved set-up. Heed Michael's advice: all my retired friends complain how busy they are. (That's why I don't retire!) 

Of course, now we expect to see a lot of progress on Alfred. See? Expectations from us already!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

your workshop (?factory) is truly amazing. My wife wants to know why I can't keep my room so clean and tidy- I was too interested in your organisation, tools and model boxes to notice. Considering the excellent  standard of the model build, we commend you. 

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Nice stash ha, happy new year to you

Regards

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Hi Gary,

The shop looks great! You can spend many happy hours in that space. A little armchair in the library area and you are good to go!

Happy new year,

Mark

Looks like you are all set up and ready to go.   That model will be done in no time at all.   :D  But seriously Gary, its great to see you back at it and its quite a nice space you have.   With a library like that I would tempted to just sit and read rather than make some sawdust.

Happy New Year to you!!!

Thanks every one for the kind comments and Happy New Year.  It means a lot and hopfully I can get a lot more done. On a different note am thinking about getting a CNC or a 3D laser printer  and was wondering if any one has any ideal of what to get when it comes to them? Figure it would be a nice retirement toy and who knows maybe make a some nice wood gift's for the kids and my newest grand daughter who is post to be here in Feb. Once again thanks guys its really nice to be back. Gary

53 minutes ago, garyshipwright said:

Thanks every one for the kind comments and Happy New Year.  It means a lot and hopfully I can get a lot more done. On a different note am thinking about getting a CNC or a 3D laser printer  and was wondering if any one has any ideal of what to get when it comes to them? Figure it would be a nice retirement toy and who knows maybe make a some nice wood gift's for the kids and my newest grand daughter who is post to be here in Feb. Once again thanks guys its really nice to be back. Gary

Hi garyshipwright!

If you can carve a figure head with sculpture mud by yourself, then convert it into 3Dmodel with 3D scanning, and then.... then ....if you are willing to pay for the express delivery from China to the United States - about 30 dollars, I can carve a boxwood one for you free,

Why use sculpture mud instead of wood? Because you can modify her, and you can carve a large one, such as 30cm high, which will be easier and get more details. I will help you modify this 3D model until it matches your ship model - scale and posture. Then reduce it to a ratio of 1:48, and use NC technology to restore your own works.

But if you don't have time and you are willing to pay for the sculptor, I can help you find a professional sculptor. He can carve a figure head according to your sketch or reference photos, and then I will carve one for you free.

Jack

Edited by hjx

Hi Jack. Thank you sir and should not be much of a problem making a figure head for Montagu and will keep this in mind. I figure getting the CNC or 3D laser printer is for making other items that I can maybe give away at christmas time along with making other parts and pieces for my model building. Thank you sir very much. Gary 

Happy New Year, Gary.  That's a great looking shop.  The choice on the CNC or 3D printer (I don't they're laser) should be based on how much you'll use it.  The CNC can turn parts out of wood, metal, and in some cases plastic.  The 3D printer is pretty much plastic at this point for the consumer market.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi garyshipwright,

I'm so sorry I misunderstood your needs....If you want to buy CNC engraving machine, the cheapest one(Desktop level) that can process products in batches, it will be over  $1200 in China. I see the price on eBay seems to be more expensive. Machines below this price may have some problems, such as durability and accuracy. There is a very cheap machine, estimated to be only about $600, which has become a "toy machine" in China, which is not good enough for processing products. If it's industrial grade, for example, the machines used in furniture factories will be more than 10,000 US dollars, and the CNC milling machines used in furniture factories of my friend's will all cost more than 15,000 US dollars. -This kind of machine is only a "cheap industrial machine" made in China.

Using these machines requires CAD software, at least 2D graphics files. If you need to carve relief, you need 3D models. What's important is that CNC engraving machine doesn't come with software, especially CNC programming software, which is very expensive. The cheapest software I use, rhinocam professional version, costs 2500 dollars, rhino6 needs 999 dollars, and zbrush2018 for relief needs about 980 dollars... But the CAD software has a free version. 

If you've never learned to program, it's very difficult to program 3-axis or 4-axis or even 5-axis machining, except for 2D cutting.

By contrast, the laser cutting opportunity is much simpler. The laser cutting machine only needs 2D graphics files. In China, the price of this kind of machine is $700-2000/3000 , and there is processing software attached. 

If you need to cut a thick board, such as 8mm or more, you need to choose a machine with high power. The power of laser tube needs to be more than 100 / 130W.

The high-end machine is just priceless. I just mentioned by the way that a person I know, his laser cutting machine is in the nitrogen container, and the wood cut by his machine has no burning trace. He said that his machine can easily cut 2-3cm wood board, and there is no trace of carbonization. He "bragged" to me that his machine is worth $1,000,000. 

Jack

Edited by hjx

Happy New Year Mark and Jack. Your information is very very helpful. Jack thats ok, nothing to be sorry for.  As far as the CNC and 3D laser Printer the two am looking at is the Glowforge 3Dlaser Printer and the Carbide 3DShapeoko XL Robust CNC router kit. They are expensive but I still have time to figure out which one and research the in and out of them. Thanks guys and once again thank you and Happy New Year. Gary