HMS Montague/ Alfred class by Gary B - 74 gun ship built in 1779 (garyshipwright)

Happy Birthday Gary, beautiful work as usual.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I hope you've had a great one, Gary.  Love the workmanship.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Happy Birthday Gary!!   Many of us have  been following your build for a long time now and I for one have been impressed throughout the whole process.  Great to see the update!!  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Happy Birthday Gary and thanks for giving us the present of an update on your lovely work.

Nice work as usual, Gary.  Making that functioning steering gear was one of the tasks I enjoyed most in building Naiad.  Trying to remember how I joined those loose ends at the wheel spindle - time flies.

Ed

Thanks every one and the happy birthday's and  comments are well received.  Greg thought I would let you know but the rudder does work and moves from stbd to port. I probably will put in a stop some place which should prevent me from wanting to put it in the tub and take it sailing. Well maybe not the tub. Ed, this is one of the more interesting things I have done on her along with tackles for the gun port lids that you can see in the photo's. Once again thank you folk's and hope to have another up date before my next birthday. 🐵

DSC_0217.JPG

DSC_0214.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG

DSC_0211.JPG

DSC_0213.JPG

HI Gary,

I was looking back in your build to see how you did the spirketting on the gun deck, but I can't seem to find it. I am beginning to think about doing this once I finish the channel wales, and you have always been an exceptionally good guide for me! I am particularly interested in the bow, and how to steam bend those into place. Do you recall what you did there?

Mark

Sorry Mark. Seems when I started a new log after the other one disappeared I didn't replace them and will add some here. I followed the Berwick plan which seems she is about has close as I can get to how Montagu was built. When I did the ones at the bow I made up a jig the curve shape of the bow timbers from templates and steamed them in a plywood jig. Gary

DSC_0162.JPG

DSC_0157.JPG

DSC_0157.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

P1010006.JPG

Thanks, Gary, that look great. I haven't noticed those keyed joints in the spirketting before, as opposed to sloped scarphs like in the beam clamps. I had it in my mind that the Bellona would have sloped scarphs, but for the life of me I don't know where I got that idea since there are no Bellona drawings showing this detail.

I have a jig for steam bending the planks outboard at the bow; I'll try it for inboard as well and then adjust accordingly if there is too much springback.

Best wishes,

Mark

You very welcome Mark. druxey thats ok, and thank you. All is not lost and I  will have plenty of photos of her as I was building her. I wished I had taken a lot when I was building Richard but other then the ones of her out side seems there is a lot of hidden detail in her and the only way to see what is there is to either see one being built or looking at her drawings. Gary

Good Morning Gary;

Thank you for the pictures of the earlier stages of building. Excellent quality work as always.

Mark, the jointing of the two strakes of spirketting is a 'tabled' joint, and is referred to in some contracts, either for spirketting, or for deck clamps. If you do have the Berwick draught which Gary mentions, look at the method of jointing the string in the waist to the forecastle deck clamp; it's very interesting.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thanks, Gary and Mark, I had never noticed that before. Very interesting detail.

I looked around some more to remember why I thought the Bellona had angled and hooked spirketting. I found it in Brian Lavery's Anatomy of the Ship for the Bellona, page 46. It is redrawn from a drawing of the Arrogant 1761, just a year after the Bellona, and also designed by Bellona's designer, Thomas Slade. I looked for the original online at the National Maritime Museum site; it lists the drawing, but there does not seem to be a scanned image available. So I guess I will work with Lavery's redrawing. Would have been fun to try something different....

Best wishes,

Mark

Nice work Gary, very clean joinery and crisp details - love how she is coming along.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 1 month later...

Well it seems to have been awhile since I posted last on my build but am still kicking around and working on Montagu upper deck, beams, and  knees. One thing is for sure it takes a whole lot of time to make them. . Not much progress but as soon as the camera gets charged up I put a couple of photo's here. Thanks for bearing with me. Gary

Hi every one. Finally got my camera charged up and took a few photo's, hope you enjoy them. The figures came from shape way and ideal of using them came from Chuck. Spent the day painting them  and  have white hair like their owner. 😁Gary

DSC_0320.JPG

DSC_0317.JPG

DSC_0321.JPG

DSC_0325.JPG

DSC_0327.JPG

DSC_0323.JPG

Thank you VTHokiEE.  The  journey with her and the endless research, the people here who have helped me  to understand her and how things fit together has been a long road. Her building has sometimes been good and other times makes you want to pull out your hair. Of course I would not change a thing. 😁

Wonderful work, Gary. And the figures give it a sense of perspective as to the size of the ship.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great work on your Alfred, Gary.  I like your Shapeways figures.  They add life to your model.  I look forward to following your progress.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Gary,

can you send me please a link to the figures? Do you know, if they have these also in other scales?

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Christian. Am not sure this will work but will give it a try.   As far as any figures in a smaller scale am not sure but will check. It does seem that they have quite a few figure's to chose from but not sure on the scale. Gary