HMS Montague/ Alfred class by Gary B - 74 gun ship built in 1779 (garyshipwright)

I have been following your build for a LONG time Gary (maybe back to Green Dolphin Street if I remember the name of that site correctly) and never tire of your postings.  She is looking fantastic!\

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Gary

wonderfull admireable work, I get the Feeling of spending a day taking up impressions during a tour on a real heritage shipyard

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks every one, your words mean a lot. After some time I finally do believe I have a almost finish 32 pound cannon. There is just a few details such as the metal hoop that goes on the end of the axle's and maybe a tompions that goes in the mouth of the cannon yet to do.  I have not had a lot of time and had Chuck make me up some 5/32 blocks and hooks to rig the tackles. I tried the 1/8 inch blocks but they seem to be to small. Has far as the messenger cable I made a new one to replaced the black cable, and rigged it in place. Not sure how the two ends come together so I just may have to change that in the future, if its wrong. If any of you know how it was done let me know, will you please. Hopfully I find a few minutes to take a look. One thing that I though was neat is the small chain that hold's the trunnon key hanging down on the stbd side and it twin on the port side in place to prevent the trunnon opening up. Hope  you enjoy the photo's folks as much as I enjoy building the cannon's. Now I only have another 27 to go. :pirate41:

The pumps are undergoing maintence on them. After looking at the hoods, thought just maybe I install all of the upper part's of the chain pumps and leave the hoods off. Believe Greg posted a photo showing one of the swan ships with this set up and thought that might be a good ideal on Montagu. Gary

post-264-0-13335500-1424492161_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-67456600-1424492183_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-24288100-1424492199_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-70313700-1424492222_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-18780300-1424492242_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-31991000-1424492264_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-82528800-1424492283_thumb.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

Beautiful looking gun Gary, nice work on the carriage. What size line did you use for the breeching? 7" circumference rope was used on a 32 pounder. I'm not sure that was the way the breeching rope was secured on a non Blomefield pattern gun. I think the breeching was either taken a turn around the neck of the cascable from one side to the other, or was spliced around the cascable.

ps On this side of the pond we call those plugs that fit in the muzzles 'Tompions', and the iron work that secures the trunnions the Cap Squares. The key is secured through the Joint Bolt over which the hinged cap square fits.

I would need to think a little about the messenger cables and its getting late. Daniel (Dafi) has done extensive research on the messenger set up and a visit to his Victory build may be beneficial.

Regards,

B.E.

B.E. is correct: the plugs are tompions or tampions. And I also agree with his comments on the breeching: it was either looped around the cascabel or a cut splice was used. Otherwise, lovely work as usual, Gary.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks guy's

B.E. your right and Remco also told me about the size, which of couse I didn't do. I did go back and changed the breeching rope along with the tackles to a right  size and thank you both. The breeching rope is now .047 inch and the tackle is .017. Thanks for the infor on the gun and it's parts. As many times as I have looked at them and study all the parts to install on the carriage, you would think I should know them by heart. Here are some new photo's of the cannon but this time mounted on board Montagu . Enjoy the photo's guys. Gary

post-264-0-06030500-1424492429_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-69733200-1424492451_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-14065500-1424492476_thumb.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

Gary,

I think the breeching rope would come off the casabel and drape forward of the rear trucks.  If it's where it is, down and under the side pieces, the forces would tend to make the cannon "buck"..  On the other hand, the training tackle is frapped so I guess they might be that way for being stowed and inspection.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark. the beeching rope is tucked some what under the cannon itself sir for inspection. That's why the tackles are frapped, that and I think it looks better then having them going to the deck and coiled. Of course there isn't going to be a lot of deck to set things on any way. I just may have to play around with the breeching rope and see how it looks in different position. Gary.

Gary,

Nicely done.  I was just curious on the choices.  Without much deck, frapping, etc. seems appropriate.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gary

The guns look good.  I am glad the bigger size of blocks worked out for you.  Your hooks look very nice as well.  Good stuff.....as usual :)

• 2 weeks later...

Brian,

How about a buildlog so we can follow you also?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Guys and thank you.

Guy,your very welcome sir and glad that you are enjoying the photo's hopfully more will come.

Thank you Chuck,the hooks and blocks are a nice addition to the gun's. Thank you for them and should be ordering some more in the next couple of weeks or so.. Am sure you told me this but can you remind me of what type of metal you used? They seems to have a lot of strength.

YaRus, According to the contracts I have, it gives the height of the orlop deck to the gun deck as being 6 foot 6 inches from the beam of the orlop deck to the bottom of the gun deck planks. The gun deck from the upper deck as 7 feet, which was from the top of the plank of the gundeck to the top of the upper deck plank. The upper deck height was at the quarter deck as 6 foot 9 and at the forecastle as 6 foot 6 1/2 inches which was taken from the upper part of the deck planking to the top of the quarter deck and forecastle deck beams.

Remco your cannon's was a big help sir in the way that you rigged them. Your's gave me some thing to shoot for.

Thanks Brian, do hope she is of some help to you as you build yours. I take it that you are following the practicum by Romero. It does give one good ideal's but I sort of went down a different path of building Montagu. For me I wanted a more accurate Montagu then what you would get using Harold's and Romero to build one. If you have any question along the way let me know sir. I do take it you will be framing it using Harold's type of framing and jig? Good luck and look forward to your build log.

Well folks here is another update on Montagu and this time it's in making rope for the cannons. I have had a rope walk which was built by a good friend, of mine, Tom Nance, and purchased it from his wife after he passed away. It sort of been stowed away until I have had a need for some rope and after spending some time expertmenting I manage to make some rope for the cannons along with the messenger that you saw in the last post. It is based on the same rope walk that Frolick used in his book The art of shipbuilding. Another one of the photo's shows the pile of parts and pieces setting on the work bench waiting to be installed on the gun carriages, that is as soon as I have a little time to work on them. As you can see in another photo, my rope walk can be any length which at the moment is about ten feet long. .

Gary

post-264-0-88517700-1375589267_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-97437100-1375589347_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-05444100-1375589403_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-43217700-1375589465_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-22201200-1375589528_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-09620800-1375589587_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-04510100-1375589641_thumb.jpg

Impressive ropewalk... and that goes for the tow truck as well. :)  That truck is a novel idea.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice to see you back in the shipyard Gary.  Love the ropewalk with its little "extras"!

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Grant and Mark.

Sort of got tired of working on the cannons so decided to work on something different and this time the rudder. I built a rudder earlier from a plan I got from the NMM and unlike the TFFM rudder this one is a little different. I sort of built two of them and this is the second one. The first one I ended up having a knot in, which the main piece is made of boxwood and figure that the knot would end up in the waste, at least that's what I thought. :o( O well, it was fun making another one. Have finally got a chance to really use my little smith torch and it's a blessing to have it. Don,t believe that soft solder would have stood up to the abuse of all the cutting, filing and twisting that it took to finally come out with the finally braces. Still have some clean up to do, due to the metal work. Funny how even small metal work makes a mess. Any way hope you enjoy the photo's. I didn't add any small planks under neith the braces and to me it doesn't look to bad.

Gary

post-264-0-76692500-1378173805_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-03405400-1378173863_thumb.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

Wow... that's rudder to envy. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Beautiful work on the rudder and its metalwork.  That Smith torch makes silver soldering much easier and (IMHO) safer with its small flame.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys and thanks for your kind word's. I finally have a little bit of a up date of Montagu. Work is keeping me very busy these days but did finally get the metal work done on her tiller. Do believe I will have to take the tiller out to get a good picture of it. Also have installed the sweep, gooseneck along with the tackle for the rope for the ships wheel. The plan is to try to install it like Ed did in one piece but being her wheel is two decks up might just not be the easies thing in the world but we will try. Enjoy the photo's folks hopefully I have more time in the future to work on her. Gary

post-264-0-62930700-1380508350_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-25203100-1380508464_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-08714400-1380508518_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-48908200-1380508588_thumb.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright