HMS Montague/ Alfred class by Gary B - 74 gun ship built in 1779 (garyshipwright)

Gary, 

This is such a beautiful build! I am finishing up the Constitution and will then move in to the Warrior Practicum, so because my skill level is nowhere near yours and several others here I can’t offer any technical insight. But I do have a question. How do you keep your build sand workshop so darn clean?

Best,

Clay 

Hi Clay and thank you for your kind word's.  I have a large cyclone in the back room that has been piped in to the main part of the shop which help's keep down the saw dust down along with several smaller vacuum cleaner's under neith the smaller tool's. Even with them I still have to use a vacuum cleaner to pick up the stuff on the floor. Much better then sweeping up which just pushes dust around the shop. It is a on going war through and ever week I go through the shop and put tools and items were they belong and the vacuum up the shop. It does get messes at times which makes finding things a little on the hard side. I add some photo's showing how it looks now. Once you get in to building your Warrior if you have any question let me know and I will see if I can find a answer for you. Once again thank you. 

DSC_0503.JPG

DSC_0504.JPG

DSC_0512.JPG

DSC_0536.JPG

DSC_0538.JPG

DSC_0559.JPG

DSC_0556.JPG

DSC_0557.JPG

DSC_0522.JPG

DSC_0531.JPG

DSC_0507.JPG

What an amazing workshop you have!  You have obviously put a lot of effort into setting that up.  It looks like a builder’s paradise.  I counted six space shuttle models.  That’s an impressive collection! 

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Very good use of that garage! Impressive set up Gary. 🙂

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Thanks Guys. It has taken me a few years, but would you believe me if I told you the shop is alive. I know, sounds kind of dumb, but it has been changing since 2007 when we moved in. I have a couple of  photo's showing the way it looked when we moved in  compared to how it looks today. Looking at others workshop's and lay out helped me come up with the best lay out. The one thing that has really made the shop a nice place to work is when I added on the  the 16' x 15' foot extenson. Am planning on adding internet and a computer to the back room, so I don't have to run in to the house when ever I need to look for some thing on the internet. Thanks again guys and happy New Year. GaryDSC_0543.thumb.JPG.a915defb006d9ef5a00f18688f48bd07.JPG

P9170005.JPG

P9170004.JPG

DSC_0546.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

Edited by garyshipwright

Ah, I see, you are also a friend of the WNW kits. You've a nice collection.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Gary, great looking shop, and fantastic library! Now I see where you are able to find so much of your research.

Your models remind me that last year I built a plastic LCVP model for my father, who served on an attack cargo ship in the US Navy in WWII. It sure was fun to have all the parts already made, even though a good plastic model takes as much time in prep, fitting and painting as a scratch build. Nice change up, though. Do you ever work a bit on a plastic model as a break from HMS Montague/Alfred?

Mark

On 12/29/2020 at 8:36 PM, garyshipwright said:

Once you get in to building your Warrior if you have any question let me know and I will see if I can find a answer for you. Once again thank you

Wow sir, thank you so much for the kind offer. I will try not to abuse your good will :)

Clay

Edited by claybaker
Typo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys and am sorry on  the slow response.  Christian I really like WNW kits and was sadden when they went out of business.  Now it seems the only place to get one is on Ebay and they are asking for almost three times the amount. I did get the Meng kit of the Red Baron plane the Fokker which I do believe comes from WNW. A good kit with lots of detail. Druxey that dust collector has been a life saver helping cut down on the dust in the shop and since all of the wood is cut in the main part of the shop should help's me keep it out of the back room were I have a few books such the swan books. In fact I have the original monogram that was sent out to the members  in chapter's. . Only thing missing from them is a autograph. Hum I wonder. Thanks Mark  I still work on plastic models and as you say it still takes me a couple of months to build on. Problem with me is I try to add  after market parts to just adds on to the build time. Hi Clay. Your very welcome sir and all you have to do is just ask. Hi Martocticvs and thank you, she is getting there.

Edited by garyshipwright

Hi Harvey. Am not sure  but it may be the 1/72 space shuttle with booster's by Mongram or the Tamiya 1/12 scale  Formula 1 MP 4 6 Honda made made i believe  in 1991. It seems a little on the hard side to figure out when the kit was made but will take a second look.  Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

On 12/29/2020 at 6:36 PM, garyshipwright said:

Hi Clay and thank you for your kind word's.  I have a large cyclone in the back room that has been piped in to the main part of the shop which help's keep down the saw dust down along with several smaller vacuum cleaner's under neith the smaller tool's. Even with them I still have to use a vacuum cleaner to pick up the stuff on the floor. Much better then sweeping up which just pushes dust around the shop. It is a on going war through and ever week I go through the shop and put tools and items were they belong and the vacuum up the shop. It does get messes at times which makes finding things a little on the hard side. I add some photo's showing how it looks now. Once you get in to building your Warrior if you have any question let me know and I will see if I can find a answer for you. Once again thank you. 

DSC_0503.JPG

DSC_0504.JPG

DSC_0512.JPG

DSC_0536.JPG

DSC_0538.JPG

DSC_0559.JPG

DSC_0556.JPG

DSC_0557.JPG

DSC_0522.JPG

DSC_0531.JPG

DSC_0507.JPG

Gary, do I see correctly that you have mounted your Digital readout right on the face of your Sherline mill (9th photo down)? Interesting! How did you fasten it on?

Mark

Hi Mark i just used a cable tie or two and just strapped it to the motor.  Vibration and heat from the motor  doesn't get hot enough to  affect the DRO. Question, do you have dust collection hooked up to your lathe or mill? am looking for ideal's to hook up some thing and maybe some one can point me to where I can see some ones hook up. I purchased a dust set up for my lathe from Rockler and am working on a set up for both the lathe and mill as we speak but nothing set in stone at the moment. 

DSC_0562.JPG

DSC_0561.JPG

Edited by garyshipwright

@garyshipwright, another tooling question if I may. Going through the pictures above there are a lot of goodies, but I don't see any mini table saw. A full size, yes, but no mini. So what do you use to mill planks I wonder?

Having big tools myself I ponder over future additions (addictions?). 😉   

Thanks.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Hi Hakan and you may sir. I have a 10 inch bandsaw and two small table saw's a Byrnes and a Preac saw and would be lost with out them. The band saw is a Inca that is probably 20 years old give or take 5 year's that I use to rip stock down to a size that can then be used on the mini table saws.  If you look to the left of the main table say you will see the Byrnes and Preac saw and on the right side you can see the green band saw.  Hope that answer your question sir. GaryDSC_0011.thumb.JPG.e9faf0207b2343c706ea6caf14393284.JPG

Very well sir, thank you, now I see them. 🙂 

note to self: add to wishlist - mini table saw. probably European brand since shipping from the states is horrendously expensive.

In a world of changes it is soothing that your Montague is always there, plodding along with small updates now and then.

Keep it up and carry on!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Gary,

For my mill and lathe, I just use a shop vac with the wide nozzle attachment.  A few piece of duct tape or cable ties hold it in place. When done, I remove the hose, attachment, and tie-downs.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark and thank you for a reply. What I was thinking was more of a permanent like what I have hooked up to the disk sander and thickness sander. Nice about this set up is when I turn them on the vac also comes  on and is stored under the work bench, out of the way. Any way thank you sir. Gary

DSC_0513.JPG

Edited by garyshipwright

HI Gary,

I am also looking for a better dust collector idea for the mill and lathe. My current setup doesn't work very well. The nozzle gets in the way, but at the same time doesn't really stay close enough to pick up much.

Mark

IMG_9502.thumb.JPG.dede99444e0abf6e7bf65ad314f79d3c.JPG

Mark S. is right.   With these tools, putting something in permanently and without blocking the work area is a problem.   Even my temporary set ups.   I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Gary.  I'll be patient.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark and Mark. Thanks for bearing with me and I finally finshed the dust collection for the lathe and the mill. For the last couple of days I have been fine turning the dust pick up.  The key to making this work is the Loc line tubing that you can buy. I purchased the 3/4 tubing with a couple of loc line fittings, along with some pvc boxes, a few fitting of Pvc as you can see in the photos. The nice thing about the loc line its small, stays in place,  and suck's up the dust right at the source. The only item that has to be moved from the mill to the lathe is the hose from the vacuum which is located under the work bench. Every thing is fixed but the hose and with a switch on top of the work bench back against the wall the vacuum cleaner comes on. Well within reach of the machines. I like being able to turn on the tool and vacuum at the same time but in this case the switch on the work bench works fine and may one day work on the tool turning on the vacuum cleaner. The other nice thing about the vacuum being underneith the work bench I can put in some in some sound material to tone down the sound. Anyway here is some photo's of the set up. I may also in the future change the  moving of the hose to a couple of pieces of Pvc from box to box, with the hose coming up in the middle of a tee. Hope this is of help to those of us that hate dust and cleaning up. 

DSC_0565.JPG

DSC_0566.JPG

DSC_0567.JPG

DSC_0568.JPG

DSC_0569.JPG

Edited by garyshipwright

Nice, Gary.  Well thought out and everything is out of the way.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: