Scottish Maid by JesseLee - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Wanted to get some work done this morning but just too tired. Our daughter had wreck yesterday morning on the way to church. Some fool ran a stop sign, wrecked our vehicle & left the scene. She thought she was alright but as the day went on she was hurting more & having headaches. They got in from the hospital about1:30 last night. She is banged up a bit & has a concussion. All this & the lyme is kicking my butt!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Jesse, how is your daughter? My prayers go out for both of you.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

She is ok but hurting a lot.

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I'm so glad to hear she's OK. I wish there was some way to make this all better for you guys. Still, your daughter walked away from the crash. That's a huge blessing.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Fortunately She came out okay thank the lord.  Things could have turend into a horrible nightmare.

David B

• 2 weeks later...

From another members build & this ship plan there are stuns'l sail booms. I couldn't find any historical evidence of them on this ship but it sure was a possibility so I wanted to add some. Found that with jackstays also it is hard to figure out just how both of these fit on the yard without one of them getting in the way of the other- especially with how the sails will tie onto the jackstays. I have no idea how they were supposed to fit around each other but I got something figured out. I wont be adding the stuns' sails but wanted to show some booms for added detail. I made all the bands & end pieces from CA coated paper then painted them black. Drilled holes & joined each piece with wire. Turned out looking good.

post-6826-0-95029900-1407963616_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-72371700-1407963633_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-70267300-1407963647_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-20685000-1407963664_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-33067900-1407963683_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-01534100-1407963702_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-61938400-1407963715_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-09264800-1407963732_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-86196300-1407963744_thumb.jpg

Nice, that looks about right. Stuns'l booms were generally mounted slightly forward on the yards to clear the jack stays. MacGregor reckoned that stuns'ls etc. were a standard bit of kit for a crack clipper. Even the North Sea sometimes has mild winds! There's also a nice painting reproduced in His book of a slightly later (1843) clipper schooner, Pera, with stuns'ls up. 

I am at a point now where I'm not sure which steps to take next & in what order. Some people do the sails on the yards first. Maybe I should go on & start on the shrouds. Trying to figure out how I will set the masts at the right angles.

Well done Jesse- when i built my Scottish Maid i was returning to the hobby after a 4 year break and more or less just built her O.O.B. as i was working on the dining room table with no workshop facilities. You are doing fantastic work on yours keep it up.I always rig the mizzen lower shrouds first then the mizzen forestay and work forward and up from there, next i bend the sails to the yards before attaching to the masts leaving the backstays till all the running rigging in place finally rigging the braces last. for the angle of the mast you can use a protractor to work out the angle on the plans then make a wooden template.

Keith

Thanks Keith! I did find something on the web that shows how to make a frame of wood & string & using weights & a protractor to get the mast set right. I will try to make one of them.

Start aft and work forward.  Do all the shrouds first this will help keep the masts aligined.  Do not glue them in the once rigged they are not going anywhere, plus if an accident happens you made things easier to fix.  I repaired a model years ago where the guy glued them.  I had to drill it out without  damaging anything else not fun.  Once all the shoruds.are done put on the stays. Now that the masts are secured properly do the ratlines.  As for the yards there is a school of thought that you do as much rigging off the model as possible.  I agree with this idea. 

David B

Edited by dgbot

• 2 weeks later...

Been very sick & haven't gotten much done in the shipyard lately. One of my Lyme friends on FB sent me a gift to cheer me up. Knowing my love of stamp collecting & of old ships & nautical history she sent me these first day covers of Capt. James Cook & a block of 4 of the Hatteras National Seashore.

I have made jigs for the deadeyes in preparation of starting the shrouds.

post-6826-0-65750900-1409062672_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-59462100-1409062693_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-77362000-1409062709_thumb.jpg

Starting the shroud lines. Here's some of the work being done. Serving the shroud pair lines, deadeyes, seizings, etc. The jigs are working very well. The serving is taking the longest time. I have to add that the mini-rope I ordered from Chuck Passaro's Syren Ship Model Company is the best rigging thread I have ever seen. I can't praise this stuff enough! It truly is mini-rope rather than just thread. It makes the work so much easier when you have high quality material. I would highly recommend this rigging thread to anyone who hasn't tried it yet. The serving is being done with thin sewing thread but everything else is the thread from Syren Co. I chose the dark brown thread over the black because my researching found out that in that part of the world at that time in history a common tar pitch used had a very dark brawn look instead of solid black.

post-6826-0-17152900-1409676682_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-82646900-1409676707_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-69825100-1409676750_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-08139900-1409676780_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-12944800-1409676812_thumb.jpg

Nice little deadeye jig Jesse.

I agree with you on the Syren "rope". it makes the stuff that came in my kit look sick. Syren's blocks are a huge upgrade also from the AL stuff.

If you can find gears  you can build a simple server fairly cheap. Using helping hands just wasn't cutting it. I used Andy's design with a few modifications and it works well. Now I just need to USE it. Watching you serve shrouds makes me almost have enough energy to attempt getting going again. The work area needs cleaning and I have books stacked. Who would have ever though ship building would require book shelves.

Serving the foremast shroud

post-6826-0-66684100-1410035983_thumb.jpg

Nice work with the ropes, Jesse. And the thread really shows its quality - your pictures alone convinced me I need them, lol.

Jessie, do you happen to have a String A Long or a small hobby lathe?  This would make serving your lines easier.

David B

No. I am having to do it the old slow way. Haven't figured out how to rig anything up- don't have any kind of gears or anything.