Scottish Maid by JesseLee - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Nice save !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Most of us have been there and done that JesseLee. The good thing is the fact that no man has ever actually " had a cow". That really would be quite painful indeed.

Looks like a great recovery....solid fix. Now you've got a neat story to tell.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

I had a cow, but it was for DINNER :P  :)
with mushrooms and zucchini.

I understand the Lyme issue problems unfortunately. :angry: That last storm pressure front caused a bloom. :(

Nice save Jesse. There really isn't nothing quite like that feeling in your gut when that happens. Luckily only you and us will know. I know what you mean with the CA, seems once it doesn't work, it then won't stick to it's self. I bought some fast acting epoxy for just such occasions, the hour stuff wasn't cutting it on unclampable stuff, so I found some 5 minute. Luckily I haven't needed it. YET!

:dancetl6:

Great save Jesse - and welcome to a very large club! The fore Topgallant mast on my Victory has TWO breaks in it. I would certainly recommend using epoxy if you have the misfortune to do something similar in the future. The epoxy will be stronger than the original wood! This is how I fixed the second break on mine.

Hey Jesse

Well fixed. I smacked the stern of my Fly against the wall the other day. Fortunately only paint came off. You just forget sometimes and do in a second what takes hours to fix. We all belong to this club!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Nice u saved it. I usually don´t say about it, but cracked some pieces of my junk and had to fix them, so, if ppl do put a critic eye to her, will notice some lines here and there. U´r doing a great job. ^_^ ^_^ :D

Nice repair, I know that feeling well, since I'm Kap't Klutz when it comes to moving my ships.  Knocked the bowsprit clean off both my mother's Thermopylae and my Alabama.  After all the rigging was done of coarse.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

You built the CSS Alabama? I think that is my #1 dream build!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I was debating whether to go on & rig the shroud lanyard lines or to wait & do them later as I think I will have trouble tying the running rigging to the pins that are behind the shrouds but decided to go on & do the lanyards & hope for the best later.

When I went to start the shroud lanyard rigging I noticed that even though I had jigs on the shroud deadeyes I still some how didn't have all the shroud lines the right length. Some were too long making the space between the deadeyes where you rig the lanyards too close. Seems half of my build is figuring out how to fix problems. I really didn't want to completely re-do tying the deadeyes. That would have been a lot of undoing & re-doing! I figured out a trick that works very well. I found that if you twist the rope with it's natural twisting that makes up the rope (it tightens itself) the deadeyes raise up some. Do this till your deadeye is where you need it & then loop rig lanyard line. When the lanyard is looped through the deadeye holes this holds the shroud line & keeps it from unwinding back. Note: this only works for very small changes in line length- in this case only a few mm each.

post-6826-0-34848500-1414691632_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-60229700-1414691646_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-44745600-1414691659_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-26977100-1414691680_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-10762300-1414691695_thumb.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I also found that no mater how snug the previous rigging was, after I add more & it tugs at different angles it seems to change how everything is. Lines that once were snug become slack as things are pulled on in different ways as more rigging is added. This frustrates me to no end. As before, I don't want to keep undoing & re-doing lines every time I turn around. As always, another problem to solve. The answer came from another interest of mine. I love flags. I fly various flags around my house: National, State, POW?MIA, Historical, etc. I have always noticed that when it rains & the rope on the flagpole gets completely soaked the line gets very slack as if the water stretches it. BUT, whet it dries it is even tighter than before it got wet, so much so it is hard to undo the line as if I had tied it way too tight. Seeing this I turn to Google to research it. YES! line will shrink some from getting wet just like washing & drying clothes can shrink then sometimes. I experimented with this & found it does work. It works better if the water is very hot & even better if you dry it faster. I used a steamer (the same one I used to bend my planks for the hull) & then a hair dryer. This can also be done with a mug of boiling water & brushed on the line with a paintbrush. This can be done as many times as necessary as you have line go slack as you do your work.

post-6826-0-14790800-1414693185_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-09293700-1414693199_thumb.jpg

Now that's a clever trick Jesse.

I've removed dimples in wood left by clamping wet wood and it dries with a dimple from the clamp. I add water and the wood re-expands and the dimple is lessened or gone. Sometime warmer water and several applications work best. 

I would have never though that lines could be adjusted just like clothes shrunk in the wash though, Plus dryer dried clothes are typically tighter then air dried so the heat make perfect sense.

So many great ideas are floating around here, I just love it.

Another great tip as I prepare to rig.

Before sewing the folded edges down on my sails I put a thread along the inside edge all the way around. Where it met I overlapped it a few inches. My reasoning for this is to have a reinforced line for when I sew the bolt rope along the outside edge. The inside thread is small enough to not show when sewed in but a big & strong enough to hold the bolt rope & also I wont have to worry about the sail edge pulling through.

post-6826-0-43591200-1415223493_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-82051300-1415223510_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-80645800-1415223525_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-85669700-1415223545_thumb.jpg

Hi Jesse

Nice work on tightening the lines. The problem you had is one reason I like Morope.. Being very springy it will look tight at a wide variety of tensions. The lines on my AVS are still as taut today as when I laid them. The downside is making a line look slack! Near impossible with Morope...

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Before sewing the folded edges down on my sails I put a thread along the inside edge all the way around. Where it met I overlapped it a few inches. My reasoning for this is to have a reinforced line for when I sew the bolt rope along the outside edge. The inside thread is small enough to not show when sewed in but a big & strong enough to hold the bolt rope & also I wont have to worry about the sail edge pulling through.

WoW !! Brilliant idea !!

I've made my own sails before ... and I've hand-sewn bolt-ropes  ...

But, I'd never even considered doing this until now !!!

Thanks heaps, Jesse. I'll definitely be using this tip in the future.

B)  B)  B)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hand stitching the lines for the sail cloths will not be easy. How in the world will I get all those line straight? I pined the sails to the sail plan sheet. Used a ruler to mark the lines in pencil. Used the penciled lines as my guide & very slowly over many days I stitched the line in keeping the stitching as close as I could, keeping the line as straight as I could.

post-6826-0-67282900-1415721832_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-78483700-1415721848_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-06385800-1415721866_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-71403400-1415721881_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-94416400-1415721899_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-46087600-1415721918_thumb.jpg

Washed the pencil marks out of the sails. Hung them on the front door on a sunny day. The sun coming through the glass storm door heats the space between the doors & dried them very quickly. The stitched lines turned out looking fine to me.

I am now working on the reef bands & other cloths sewed on the corners for extra strength in the high stress areas where the sail was pulled on by ropes/rigging. Pics coming soon......... 

post-6826-0-82401800-1415722169_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-72143100-1415722187_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-25435700-1415722202_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-82558400-1415722219_thumb.jpg

Great work, Jesse. 

(And, for me, very, very timely !!)

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Very frustrated with computer problems. On someone elses now to post this. Don't know how much I will be able to do my build log- my computer is pretty screwed up :(:angry:

Bummer!! :( :( :( The hard drive is failing on my computer & I cant Add pics to my build log :( :( :(

• 3 weeks later...

Been working on making & sewing on extra cloths & the reef bands. Used the Fray Check & a hair straightener to form & press them into shape. Making all this on has taken weeks but it turned out to be good timing- my computer crashed & I am now sharing one with my daughter. Things were different & getting all my stuff & info & programs onto hers so I could get back to posting pics on my build log has taken me a while to work out. The reef bands are formed & ready to sew on.

post-6826-0-94846700-1417479999_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-13472900-1417480032_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-69729900-1417480072_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-07798500-1417480106_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-14674700-1417480180_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-82530100-1417480201_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-95460700-1417480235_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-04094000-1417480261_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-70629300-1417480288_thumb.jpg

Sewed the reef bands & extra cloths. Next time I do sails I will not use anything thicker than thin handkerchief material. The sails look real good with these details but ended up a little too thick where extra cloth was sewed on. Next will be the reef points & boltrope.

post-6826-0-01595200-1417480789_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-05526400-1417480806_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-22620500-1417480823_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-68278800-1417480836_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-17995300-1417480868_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-31351600-1417480892_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-67726700-1417480905_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-70747900-1417480922_thumb.jpg

A beautiful addition indeed !!

The only prob is that, with you making reef-bands for your 1/50, now I gotta go start making some up for my 1/16.

Arggeth !!

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)