Scottish Maid by JesseLee - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Wow Jesse, I think the pictures do it a lot of justice. If it looks better then in the pictures you should be really happy.

I love the way the Pecan stain seemed to fill the wood graining and not over darken the wood completely. Which brand of pecan stain/sealer did you use BTW.

The staining really brought out the butt joints and treenails also. What method did you use for treenailing? I like the subtle look it has and gives, sometimes treenails seem to be very overpowering to me, its one of the reasons I haven't attempted it yet.

The new camera takes nice pictures also, congrats on that :dancetl6:  Hope the father-in-law is doing better also.

Keith, I used Minwax Wood finish. The butt joints are just scoring across the planks with an Exacto knife. The treenails were a gamble. I just poked small holes with a pointed metal tool. After light sanding & the pecan stain it filled the holes just enough to look like I treenailed it. My intention was not to stain but just seal but my clear sealer had dried up & the closest thing I had was the light pecan. It turned out very well.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

The instructions are so vague I cant determine if I have the correct angle for the stern. Think I might have the side leading up to the stern sanded down too much & rounded too much. A little hard to figure out...

post-6826-0-24855000-1388618193_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-68053200-1388618220_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-86101200-1388618247_thumb.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Did a test fitting of the wood strips for the first layer of planking on the hull. You can see the small gaps where straight edges cant fit close together as the planks are laid around a curve. Decided to taper the edges a little

post-6826-0-40992300-1388701092_thumb.jpg

Beginning to lightly sand a tapered edge along the planks so they will lay closer together without showing the gaps. As I go along I am marking which side goes in & which side goes out. Test fitted one side again after tapering the edges & you can see how much better they will fit when the actual planking begins.

post-6826-0-33700100-1388701377_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-47639900-1388701413_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-55713500-1388701439_thumb.jpg

Thank you!

Double. I know, not necessary as this first layer will be covered. I just wanted to do it this way.

Began marking where the first planking strips will go

post-6826-0-49352000-1388788120_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-66843200-1388788140_thumb.jpg

I found this steam cleaner of my wifes. It is for getting spots out of carpet or something. I am going to see if it will work for bending my planks.

post-6826-0-72166100-1388788375_thumb.jpg

"Marking where the planking strips will go" is properly called "lining off". It's an art form to a certain extent. Takes a keen eye to get it right. Clinker or lapstrake is even more difficult to get right than carvel because the planks are so much more prominent.  Great to practice on the inside layer. You'll have some experience with doing it and an idea of how the planks will react to the bends asked of them as you line off the second layer. Looking good. Thinking long and hard about this kit as a first wood build. You say the instructions are vague though…….

Yes, a fold out page of pictures & barely more than 2 pages of instructions in a booklet. If I hadn't had previous experience building ships this would be somewhat difficult

Sailor, you taught me something new. I guess my extra efforts like the "lining off" comes from my art background. Took it all through my school years & it helped me easily learn jewelry repair skills when I was able to work. Both of these backgrounds make me notice all details, even those that will not be seen.

I've found the use of the planking fan for marking the bulkheads for strake run very important indeed. I personally like a first planking to be nice enough to be the outer planking. Jesse, you seem to have a good solid foundation for an excellent planking job. It should be pretty straight forward up front but the stern looks as though the wrap may be a bit of a steam issue.

Jesse, I've seen another build use a steamer exactly like that for bending the mahogany single planking of a San Fran 2, if I'm remembering the build correctly. Can't remember whose build but I seem to remember it being the SF2 and I was amazed at the great job it did on mahogany, which can be a pain to bend. I found basswood typically doesn't need heat as much as other harder woods. I had to boil ebony to get it to bend.

Yes, that bend is pretty sharp. It is easy to break even the softer woods at that much of a bend

Now to see how this steamer gadget will work.......

post-6826-0-71633900-1388868038_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-03560500-1388868087_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-58855900-1388868115_thumb.jpg

Works on average bends but on the real sharp bends I still got wood breaks & cracks. Trying a longer soak first for the one on the other side......

post-6826-0-69008200-1388868831_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-70340300-1388868853_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-33199600-1388868871_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-92249300-1388868888_thumb.jpg

Getting better results now. I heated a cup of water in the microwave till almost boiling & soaked the end of the strip for about 20-30 min. first then used the steamer & the wood is bending way better & farther now without breaking.

post-6826-0-46296600-1388869874_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-38604700-1388869888_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-30504200-1388869907_thumb.jpg

Sailor, It depends on how much you are familiar with modeling I guess. If you have built before you can figure it out. It may be hard to get a few things accurate mainly the right angle at the stern for the transom. The instructions seem to be made for modelers who have some experience in ship building.

I have no experience in wooden ship modeling however have a pretty good understanding of ship construction and some experience boatbuilding full sized. I think I'm going to lean a bit toward the Lady Nelson for now. Bash her into Witch of Endor.Not that she'd take much to change her since little is known of Hornblower's escape craft aside from 10 guns, some oar ports and a ring bolt for Lt Bush to hold the base of his wooden leg while at the tiller.

Soaking the next set of planks, Adding center plank, getting some additional input...

post-6826-0-20189600-1389044711_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-15683700-1389044751_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-16217800-1389044771_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-91216100-1389044790_thumb.jpg

Went looking in the bathroom cabinets & found several extra curling irons not being used. (They all worked so I'm wondering what my wifes reasoning is for buying the new ones she & my daughter are using now - I will never understand women, lol ) Anyway I decided I would take them & use for additional plank bending tools. I got 3 different size curves & a straight one. Should come in handy in the days to come.

post-6826-0-02955700-1389045279_thumb.jpg

A great start to the build I will continue to watch your progress with great interest.

Don't make the same mistake as me and put the pins in too deep as the are then difficult to remove before sanding and installing the 2nd layer of planking.

Glenn

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

A little irritated with myself. I spent a whole day the other day measuring all over to make sure I had everything right. Somehow I missed the stern area & have one side 1 1/2 -2 mm off from the other. Of course this throws off the plank spacing on each side so I will tear them off, sand the side down to the right spot & re-plank.   

Did you apply a beading line and sand the keel from beading line to the edge before the start of the planking?

This is important otherwise the walnut keel and rudder parts will not sit correctly, it's the biggest mistake I made with the Scottish Maid build as I was not aware it needed to be done.

Glenn

Glenn (UK)

Glenn, I think I missed that too. It's ok, I have a lot of time on my hands & it's not the 1st time I've had to go back to redo something like this.

This cold snap moving through is not good for someone with lyme so today I feel like I've been in a plane crash. Haven't felt good enough to do much work but did decide to make some templates to see how different each side is. Since my problem is aft I made templates for the last 3 sections it that area.

The 1st one is pretty close, the 2nd shows a little more gap on one side & the 3rd one is so off it wont even fit over the other side.

post-6826-0-47009500-1389129201_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-77557200-1389129218_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-55700000-1389129230_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-23146700-1389129240_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-41576300-1389129249_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-31858700-1389129260_thumb.jpg

Edited by JesseLee

Brainstorming......

post-6826-0-51306300-1389129395_thumb.jpg

In my opinion 2 things make a so-so build better.

1) knowing when the symmetry is off

2) Have the where-with-all to tear into it and fix it

Oh the fun of tearing out and fixing, I've seen some huge deconstructions on MSW which gave me the confidence to understand that anything can be fixed. There is also something about that feeling of fixing something you know is wrong but didn't really want to tackle, but did anyway. Some times it takes a while to work up the bravery.

The Transom removal on my planked longboat is one of those kind of situation. I'm know I'll do it. It's just thinking over the details of how. That's why I started on the Dinghy for something simpler, then 2 days ago I realized I had one of the sheer planks reversed. D'OH on the Dinghy. Its for my mother-in-law so I told Tammy "she'll never see it"

A few minutes later Tammy came back and caught me wetting the seams to brake it loose and flip it. Her comment, "I knew you'd end up not able to live with it". Like yourself though, when all you have is time, why not fix it.

On the figuring out women. I'm sure the multiple curling irons has a good reason ;). We as men just can't understand those reasons. Kinda like why does Tammy have 50 pairs of flip-flops and 100's of shoes. Luckily she completely supports my ship building addiction.

Can't wait to see how you tackle this issue. I found the stern shaping on the Swift one of the tougher jobs in fairing.