Scottish Maid by JesseLee - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:50

A very handsome looking ship Jesse.  Am looking forward seeing you and your ship next April.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Just stunning, Jesse ... it looks as tho' it has been sitting on your desk for the last 40 years.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I don't think mine is good enough to even compare with Piet's!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Jesse....Your attention to those sales remind me of Piet's attention to metal working details.

I think you are much better than you think you are my friend.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Added the Main Topmast Staysail. This was the last sail. Been studying another Scottish Maid build while I've been working on mine. They had some extra rigging that my kit didn't instruct & I borrowed some of it & added it to mine too. 

Made an adjustment to the base. The sides were straight. I filed & sanded a little out to add some shape to it. I think it looks better now.

post-6826-0-30972900-1423011032_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-69122100-1423011048_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-58913000-1423011066_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-34355700-1423011085_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-23793300-1423011103_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-20941500-1423011123_thumb.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Outstanding Jesse, just outstanding.  I love the bow shot and the one above it, beautiful woodwork.  Oh heck, I love everything about this ship!

What makes your sales is their rustic appearance, as sails should be.  Having been in use for a long time, all weathered. 

I am looking forward to seeing your models next April.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Wow......I am so sorry that I didn't see this build sooner!   what a ride it took you on!    absolutely splendid workmanship...lots of good stuff here to be found.   even with the problems you faced,  you build this fine looking vessel.....my hat is off to you!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Darn !! All the good compliments have already been used !!

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

Great work, Jesse and it was awesome watching it all come together.

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thank you everyone for those kind words. Being able to share our builds with each other makes the experience even richer!

Got to raise the flag & she will be done!

Cut out the flag. Made a piece of rope with a toggle & eye for attaching flag to hailyard. The of the flag isn't the best. The printing is off. Some of the red striping crosses over where it should be white. This annoyed me a little. Considered looking for a different one to order or printing one off the internet. Decided to go with what I have & to paint the right colors in the lines like they are supposed to be. Half-way into this I started regretting it but stuck it out.

Started trying to cut & shape a can for shaping the flag.

post-6826-0-41607400-1423600702_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-92216200-1423600759_thumb.jpg

Couldn't get the bends in the can to go as close together as I needed for my flag size so I coated it with watered down PVA glue & shaped it by hand. Rigged the flag hailyard. Attached flag to hailyard with toggle & eye splices. Raised flag & tied it off to the rail.

post-6826-0-43260300-1423604608_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-02826100-1423604624_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-86241500-1423604663_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-89966300-1423604676_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-63284000-1423604706_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-79022800-1423604750_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-23480800-1423604788_thumb.jpg

Great work on the flag, Jesse.

Plus, you have taught me a valuable lesson ... if the first can doesn't work, then I'll need to empty another one.

REPEAT until desired effects are achieved ... or it is time to go to bed.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Well, she is finished. I really enjoyed this build in spite of the problems I encountered along the way. I used to admire this kit from afar & wish to get it one day. A good friend made that dream come true & I thank him very much for this. I thank you all for the help & guidance during this build. Here are a few of the completed ship photos......

post-6826-0-55972600-1423610396_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-00513400-1423610411_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-25934000-1423610428_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-69111200-1423610449_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-18170800-1423610466_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-63088800-1423610484_thumb.jpg

Congrats Jesse!!  She looks fabulous!

Dee Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Just spent some time going over this build of yours Jesse. Very well done! She's a masterpiece to be admired! 

Cheers & Fair Winds

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Magnificently done Jesse, bravo!

Okay, what's next??

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Congratulations Jesse on completing an excellent build. She looks fantastic and you should be very proud. So what's next?

Such a nice build, Jesse. It's been fun following your progress. The Maid is a beauty for sure!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Thank you everyone! 

I forgot to say that guillemot & his Scottish Maid build was a great help to me along the way. He has the most beautiful Scottish Maid model ever built! Go back & check his out sometime.

What's next? Not sure- got multiple projects waiting. I have a previously owned Mayflower we got at an antique store years ago that needs some serious help. Someone didn't know what they were doing, what has been done is very bad & needs tearing off & re-doing. They didn't even complete it. Thinking of bashing it & naming it after my wife. I have several ship in bottle ideas that I am just dying to get going. I know a little girl (one of the daughters of some friends of ours) who is begging me to make her a boat with pink sails. Might tackle that next. It wouldn't be quite the normal build log since it would be for a child. It would be much more simple- not as much detail & some of it out of scale- (might even make it so she could float it in the bathtub ?)

congrats Jesse....such a finer looking ship!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch