Scottish Maid by JesseLee - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Brilliant ideas! Enough said. Great work :).

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Lyme has been kicking my butt the last few weeks. Here is an attempt at artistic humor to show/tell how this disease makes me feel: it attacks every part of my body, feel adrift, alone in rough seas, every day is a constant battle & feel like I'm near death every day.

Oh well, enough of that. I have been trying to work on preparing ahead of time other parts of the build in the small amounts of time I have been able to do any work. I find I enjoy assembling these smaller parts of the build just as much as I do the more major parts of it. So first as soon as I load up the pics will be assembling the windlass......

post-6826-0-93758600-1396042083_thumb.jpg

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Started with sanding & shaping the lathes. Decided to put a wire through the middle to hold the cogged wheel, found it holds together better & stronger than just gluing them together- plus it keeps it all lined up better.

post-6826-0-32461800-1396042381_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-08828000-1396042400_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-58655600-1396042413_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-84237000-1396042432_thumb.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Glued sides together. I wonder why these were not made in one piece instead of two. Shows an ugly glue line. I tried to hide as best I could with sawdust in the glued line.

post-6826-0-35053400-1396042681_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-34424500-1396042697_thumb.jpg

Drilled holes in lathe ends & sides to hold everything together strongly & for the drum on the side.

post-6826-0-82811200-1396042946_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-40177600-1396042964_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-92754200-1396042986_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-43897200-1396043015_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-51826300-1396043037_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-85924800-1396043076_thumb.jpg

Spacing & marking where the belaying pin holes go in the pin rack. Once drilled got them to just the right size with these handy little twist reamers I got years ago & glued the pin rack on.

post-6826-0-81517400-1396043497_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-10713200-1396043515_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-18553700-1396043532_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-04168600-1396043546_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-24399200-1396043567_thumb.jpg

Next the stanchion. Cut to correct size & used mini saw & files to get the cuts & angles as shown on plans.

post-6826-0-43801500-1396043878_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-36871600-1396043893_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-37000200-1396043910_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-46924800-1396043926_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-55005000-1396043951_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-83601900-1396043979_thumb.jpg

Nice work. I have certainly seen pictures, even a photo or two of windlass sides being made up of two pieces. The log bit was all of a piece and so constructed sides would make sense.

Sorry to hear you have Lyme disease, it is known here in Portugal, and with all the wild boar  in the forest and flocks of sheep around here (mid Portugal) ticks are a real nuisance, and potential threat.

Hope you're felling better soon.

F

Nice work on the windlass and belaying rack, Jesse. Shaping those small pieces can be a work in patience.

How well I understand your struggle with Lyme. Its good to see your humor as it's better to laugh than cry.

The weather change patterns this year seems to be pounding me also. Lyme is like building a ship in some ways, you know it won't be easy and it must be taken one piece/pain at a time. Unlike ship building, with Lyme, the struggle is rarely worth it though, except to make it through another day.

Be Well, my friend.

Jesse, beautiful work. Thanks for documenting the windlass step by step. I like how you notched and beveled that stanchion.

Thanks also for sharing about your health struggles. It's encouraging to see someone facing them with humor and heart.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Scottish Maid is a beautiful vessel. I am trying to find information online about her and keep coming up nearly empty handed. Where do you do your research for her? Are you using more than the instructions that came in the box or am I not searching the right places? 

Loving the progress you're making on her. Keep it up. :)

Sailor, I can find very little info & no pictures at all. Someone explained to me on the page before this one that many records were lost to the bombing & fires of WWII. I am going by what pics & instructions (which isn't much) that came in my kit.

Yep, it's a bugger. Thinking about colour schemes...There's this:http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/pPlaiHnbS-ahaUtkeff-iQ . Notice though, that the model was built in 1880, so may well depict the ship later in it's life. The red sails and maybe a coppered hull are interesting - as is the green hull. I was tempted to do mine with an Aberdeen green hull, but I have a hunch that came in later. As to coppering...She spent her life in the North Sea, not a lot of tropical wood munchers in our cold waters and so coastal schooners weren't, unless they were going to the Medi or the Caribbean. Colours? I haven't seen the kit myself, and went for cream gunwhales and varnished wood. One of those cases where 'who knows?' :D

F

P.S. Hope you're felling better Jesse.

Interesting. My kit shows no paint scheme at all, just natural wood. I would like to make mine historically correct. Wondering now if I should go back & paint the hull now. Don't know the paint scheme of the figurehead either & was planning on painting it white. What do you guys think?

guillemot, I see you painted your hull black. Those reddish sails in that old model look cool to me.

Edited by JesseLee

Wonder what color should be painted below the waterline?

Hey Jesse

Hang tough. Good days, bad days - relish the good, manage the bad - you know what I mean. Take care and "model" yourself of out the bad'uns if you can.

Paint colours. I'd definitely look for some contrast below the waterline. If not accurate it at least will give the ship its due in terms of emphasising the sleek lines. If it is all black you'll loose those lines. Perhaps copper but maybe a deep red or just natural wood? I'd also cut the black with a little blue to get a very deep ultramarine colour. It is more "lively" and then you can contrast the cap rails in jet black. I did this colour on the counters on my Fly and though it is hard to see in the photos it is a nice offset to jet black. I like the figurehead in white.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

From previous discussions on this ship it seems that she most likely wasn't coppered since she was used only in northern colder waters. Interesting suggestion on the different shades of black. I read that they would maybe tar the bottom. Wonder what it would look like to make the bottom a tarred black color & above the waterline mix the blue in with the black or would it not be different enough?

If you mix your own black, like wot I was taught as an Art student you can modulate the shades and warmth of blacks - Burnt umber and ultramarine or cobalt blue will do nicely, oils with a bit of liquin medium to speed up the drying is a good way to go  - cobalt blue is pretty expensive though....and toxic so don't eat it! Like a stupid rat did to one of my tubes.....bet he regretted it.

F

Hi Jesse

I remember a build by Pete Jaquith? of Newsboy. It strikes me as being very similar to Scottish Maid but was a little later - 1854 by my quick web search - Goggle "Newsboy ship". It was also built in the USA not Scotland but did serve in the North Atlantic. I can't quite remember Pete's colour scheme but seem to recall a pale blue or white on the inner bulwarks and cap rails and a deep blue or black on the outer works but with a contrasting below waterline finish. My quick web search showed many versions coppered and this one (attached) with red lower works. If you look at my Fly log you can see the subtle difference between the deep blue on the counter and the jet black - Polly Scale Engine Black - on the wales. I still reckon you should go for more contrast than that and since no one seems to know for sure you can't be accused of historical inaccuracy whatever you do! 

Cheers

Alistair

post-259-0-38604500-1396467509_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks for the input everyone. Doing more discussing than building but like we all keep saying here on MSW, that's how we learn. Still feeling bad, using this time to research some more & decide what I will do next when I can jump back on it. Been searching online today about this - here is what I found on a British website. 

In the early days the hull below the waterline was usually painted with wood-coal tar that looked dark brown to almost black. From the 16th century on it became common to mix sulfur to aid in worm protection which gave it a yellowish-grey color or to paint with an off white lead paint. Sometimes an extra layer of protection of wooden sheathing of elm or fir was added below the waterline. (I have never heard of this)  Early 16th century the Portuguese & Spanish started adding lead sheathing. Copper began being used in the mid 18th century.

I also remembered in the movies the Black Pearl was solid black below & above the waterline & it looked fine to me.

You could always paint one side and leave the other wood and put the less liked side towards the wall. ...or switch it every once and a while to make people think its a new ship :D. For all the attention most casual observers pay unless they could see the other side they'd probably never know it wasn't a new ship :rolleyes:.

Isn't it great how we agonize over details most wouldn't see even when pointed out :huh:. That's why I like this hobby, if were easy everybody would be doing it. :dancetl6:

Hey I think you stole my excuse, I always say I'm researching when the spirocetes are kick my buttock. This weather change of spring has my neuropathy screaming, so I'm right there with you my friend.

Actually I just got the Cunliffe Pilot boat set for a steal on ebay, both volumes for about 1/2 what 1 sells for. Anyway it has lots of pictures which is great for research, reading has been giving me headaches. I've been looking at how longboats were used on pilots (actually they call them Canoes, but they are more short and fat like a cutter) and the holly and ebony longboat is completely out of scale and of the wrong format.

So I suggest we start a MSW fund to invest in time travel so we can be more sure about these important details. B)

Lol, Keith you crack me up!

Incidentally..... Here's the model that's in the Aberdeen Museum. This is the colour scheme I'd probably have gone for if I hadn't been doing a waterline

http://www.aagm.co.uk/thecollections/objects/object/Model-of-First-Aberdeen-Clipper--The-Schooner-Scottish-Maid?l  Looks damn fine to me.  Hope you're feeling better soon, I've been through one really nasty illness - the treatment was worse than the illness and recovery took some time. As the weather warms up into Spring I find the sun coming back really helps. I've had a low grade chest infection since Christmas - we've had a really wet cold winter here in mid-Portugal. The weather guessers reckon next week will be sunny. It would be nice.

Interesting. It shows her copper plated. I think like you from all the talk & reading that she most likely wasn't. Since I don't have materials for copper plating I may not go that way. Not sure if copper paint over wood planks would look right. 

Hi Jesse

You are probably tiring of this discussion...Given how good the planking on your hull is, perhaps paint the upper works to a masked waterline and have a look at a natural hull below. If it doesn't feel right you can paint or copper below the line. If you copper I can recommend Amati plates which you can get from Cornwall Models (amongst other sources). Many here say these are the most accurate plates. If you paint, may be head to a dark red/brown colour to pick up on your research and provide a contrast. I definitely wouldn't do copper paint over such a large surface - it is really only manageable for small pieces IMHO. I'll leave my thoughts there and look forward to seeing your progress. (Also I hope your current health episode cools down soon).

Cheers

Alistair