Fantail Launch II by shawn32671 - FINISHED - Midwest Products - SMALL

Thanks Bob and Pete...I installed the bottom sheeting tonight so far and bent a couple pieces around a large can...Not much else done yet but I plan to finish sand the entire hull yet tonight and maybe add the parts I'd bent...more updates as I get more finished.

DSC02231_zps1c51fb5e.jpg

DSC02228_zps19492707.jpg

DSC02227_zpsa70fc493.jpg

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

I haven't been in the mood for sanding much today but plan to sand the hull tonight. I did make a little more headway today so far though. I re-bent some pieces around a large can, (I wasn't happy with the results of a couple pieces). I also made the front and rear seats, the rear seat is removable to be able to access the radio gear. Plus making a few other odds and ends for the boat...More later as I get more done.

DSC02244_zpsf577acfe.jpg

DSC02242_zps53a2633b.jpg

DSC02245_zps1d8045b7.jpg

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

Looks Good Shawn, Rember sanding is part of the game (hey I don't care for it either)

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Well, it's far from perfect but I got the hull finish sanded tonight. It may not look pretty but it is baby's' butt smooth all over so that's what matters I guess. I plan to paint the whole boat anyway rather than stain it so I'm not too worried about the appearance of the wood.

Below are some photos plus check out the link to another picture show video I posted to YouTube (assembly log part 3). There isn't really much more to actually build on the kit besides adding all of the trim and some odds and ends. I will probably tackle that tomorrow then test fit the radio control gear and get ready for painting. More updates as I get more done.

DSC02248_zpsde678c28.jpg

DSC02252_zps5186abab.jpg

DSC02251_zps13db6206.jpg

DSC02250_zpsf6cca282.jpg

DSC02254_zps09e2ebbf.jpg

Assembly log in pictures part 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJlOJARr1g

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Looks Great Shawn , Keep it up

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Shawn 

I have just been given this kit by a mate of mine He is just fairing the hull of his model We intend to race! He has e glassed his hull to ad strength and ensure water intergrity I see you hate sanding but a little e glass and bondo and you will have a water tight and strong hull

Andy   

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Thanks Andy, I hope you have as much fun building yours as I'm having building my Fantail Launch. I do see the instructions call for fiber glassing the hull but I have had very little success with using fiber glass in auto repairs and don't think I want to try with this boat. I'm researching alternate ways of sealing the hull while adding strength. Hopefully I figure something out...

I wonder if just using some Bondo type glazing putty or regular Bondo over the entire outer hull would work and skipping fiber glassing? Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd be very grateful.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Another quick update, the boat is nearly finished and the assembly process is done at least. I just need to decide what to do as far as strengthening and painting the hull and install the radio gear. I may go with fiber glassing the hull afterall, although it will be more difficult since I have the trim added now. I think for colors I will go with a darker shade of a sky blue for up to the waterline and an off white for the rest of the hull. I'm not sure if I will leave the deck trim and upwards natural or paint that an off white too since stain will likely not soak in well, if at all where glue had soaked in a bit too much. I once again posted a link after the pictures below to another photo slide show on YouTube titled part 4 if anyone would like to see.

DSC02295_zpsa04145cf.jpg

DSC02296_zpsd2310906.jpg

DSC02297_zpse2b3d77a.jpg

DSC02299_zpsd2edefd6.jpg

DSC02300_zpsf838a9f6.jpg

DSC02301_zps60e9cc3f.jpg

YouTube photo slideshow of part 4:

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Out of curiosity...would spreading epoxy over the whole outer hull be OK as compared to fiber-glassing it? Would the strength be as good or close? It would sure be a lot easier of a job to do. Your thoughts?

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Shawn,

It is the glass that gives the resin strength.  But I have heard of using nylon stockings instead of glass.  That would also be strong and I would think easier to apply.  I never liked fiber glassing either.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

this is a cross post from my post asking about fiber glassing elsewhere on the forum but thought I'd add it here too..."" I found this great tutorial on fiber glassing balsa on YouTube for anyone else thinking about glassing their build.

""

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

OK, it was a bit scary at first but I had to try anyway. Here is a little progress so far on my attempt at "glassing" the outer hull with nylon from nylon stockings. I think it turned out rather nicely myself. I may do a second layer but I shouldn't have to unless anyone here thinks it'd be best that I do. I'm thinking just a few layers of thinned epoxy should do the trick nicely and be super strong and waterproof. What are your opinions guys/gals?

DSC02304_zps40bd6a58.jpg

DSC02306_zpsaaccfacf.jpg

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

I forgot to include this picture when I made the above post. This is the sanded first coat of thinned epoxy. I'm low on epoxy so the remaining coats will have to wait until tomorrow. Over all I'm very please with the results so far.

DSC02322_zps6e164e73.jpg

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

In my experience with glassing, the resin makes the mat/clothe disappear...but I've always used white chopped matting or clothe. Of course my experience with glassing is limited to automotive use and I've never mixed it and wood so this is new to me. I thought the tan colour might not disappear as well, but its invisible. So what type of epoxy did you use? and what did you thin it with? 

I enjoyed the video on glassing you posted, I like that he mentioned where to purchase the cloth. Its a much thinner cloth then I've used in the past. Although the stocking seem to have done the trick and they are cheaper and more easily accessible. 

Thanks Nigel and believe me, getting the nylon to lay nicely along the deck railing was no small feat.

Keith, I had an email from a guy tonight who had watched one of my "build log" YouTube videos of my Fantail Launch. He said he uses isopropyl alcohol as the thinner and that it works great so I gave it a try in conjunction with some new Loctite 5 minute epoxy I already had laying in my desk. I had plenty of working time since it was thinned to just about the consistency of water. I wish I had more epoxy as I'm eager to see what kind of final finish the hull will have.

I also plan to use slightly thinned epoxy to coat the whole inside of the hull too, well where I can reach anyway.

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Thanks for showing your work.  As I said I had never tried it myself but had heard it was good.  And yours looks fine.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Well Stockings!!! I hope the Admiral gave you permission Looks like they worked well and now you have a much stronger watertight ship for your electronics and power plant remember to fill the propeller log with heavy grease to help stopping water coming in there

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Thanks Bob and Andrew, I'm actually having fun with the nylon "glassing", it's really coming along nicely now. I have the second coat of thinned epoxy applied and curing right now. It seems to take upwards of 2 hours to fully cure to the touch but any final sanding shouldn't be done until it's cured at least 24 hours then I plan to follow up with a final rub of 0000 steel wool and really give the finish a "pop".

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Doing the hull this way made a nice finish and I'd love to leave the hull as is besides adding color below the waterline but there are a few easily seen blemishes where the finished boat wouldn't be as nice looking. So my plan is still a sort of darker sky blue below the waterline and an off white for the remainder of the hull. I'm thinking about clear lacquer for the decking and the inner hull. I epoxied (as well as I could) inside the hull and was hopefully successful in getting it at least in the areas that will have the higher likelihood of getting wet while running the model.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

This is after one coat of semi-gloss white Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover premium latex paint. I plan to apply 3 layers, sanding in between with 220 grit then a rub down with 0000 steel wool. The final sanded finish on the epoxy/nylon "glassed" hull wasn't as pretty as I'd hoped but the painted hull should be fairly nice when I'm done.

DSC02332_zps7eda297f.jpg

DSC02335_zps2351ffa3.jpg

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

OK...That's enough sanding for me for a few days I hope :-) Here's the finished hull with three coats of semi-gloss white sanded in between the first two. The final finish isn't as smooth or as nice looking as I had hoped but the hull is water proofed and strong. Next is to paint the water line with some blue Krylon spray paint and do the final assembly and finally, add the radio gear and steam engine. I'm pretty jazzed about this build.

DSC02337_zps8aa08113.jpg

DSC02338_zps28fd29f9.jpg

DSC02339_zps022633b2.jpg

DSC02340_zpsa5639003.jpg

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa