Best Clipper Ship Kit

mort stoll

I am seriously considering a clipper ship as my next build. Can anyone recommend a particular kit? The Model Shipways Flying Fish, the Mantua Cutty Sark are the only ones I am aware of. Is anyone familiar with these kits or recommend another kit?

Thanks,

Mort  

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hi Mort,

The Flying Fish and the Cutty Shark are of later design. The Baltimore shipyards started producing the earlier smaller clipper ships as slave runners, privateers and blockade runners in the early 1800's. There are several kits out there. Check Model Expo :)

Warm Regards,

Bill

Edited by Bill Hime

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

My vote for Cutty

Resources for research are unlimited

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Personally, I like the strength and powerful looks of the American Clippers. Therefore, I would opt for the Model Shipways Flying Fish or the Bluejacket Red Jacket-- both good kits. But that's just me. I have seen some pretty impressive models of the British Clippers such as Cutty Sark and Thermopylae too.

Bill M.

Hi Guys,

My first choice would be an American Clipper with the Cutty Sark or Thermopylae a very close second. I will look into all of afore mentioned kits.

Thanks for all of the reply's and happy holidays to all,

Mort

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Hi Mort,

I think you've gotten some good info. I'd also like to point out that if you take your time and hunt on Ebay, you can occasionally find BlueJacket's old Flying Cloud kit. It's an 1/8" scale solid hull kit, like Red Jacket.

In smaller scales (mostly 3/32" = 1'), you can find the old Marine Models Sword Fish or Sea Witch kits. They'll be a bit lighter on the detail, but with a little extra work, they should turn out quite nicely.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Hi Clare and Crackers,

Thanks for the info. For some reason I did not think of Ebay. I will also look into the Bluejacket Kit though I would prefer a plank on bulkhead to a solid hull. I will

as I have with all of my previous kits upgrade/and or kitbash any kit I do end up with.

Thanks,

Mort   

I am going to order the Model Ship Ways Kit. I'll kitbash and upgrade the kit where necessary. Truthfully I chose that kit because all things being equal I have a great deal of respect for Model Expo and Marc Mosco in particular. I appreciate all of the suggestions. 

Happy holidays to all,

Mort