US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

No Mark,

We have more luck in this country…the biggest animal we have is a mouse……...

We have one somewhere in the living room.

Maybe I can put a lure on my rod and try to catch him with a little cheese at the hook…….

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Sjors ---

You surely have enough canon at the ready to dispatch one mouse  :pirate41:

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I recall driving with my mum between St. John and Fredericton NB one late summer/early fall evening in the early 90s. There was construction on the highway and we were crawling along at around 20km over gravel, but it being a Sunday there was no one around and not much other traffic.

We were good naturedly bickering about something when a shadow fell across her. It was a very large bull moose jogging beside the car. My mum decided it would be "fun" to roll down the window and have a chat. I argued against this, but she's a powerful woman.

She had the window down and the moose lowered its head and looked in at us as it was running alongside. I thought we were in serious trouble - especially if the beast decided to try to put its snout in the car....my mother was giggling like a school girl and I was probably swearing like the proverbial longshoreman (no offence to any stevedores out there!). After what seemed like an eternity in which my mum cooed at the moose like it was a newborn babe, it finally peeled off, jogged across the highway and disappeared into the woods....the closest I have ever been to one of these majestic animals

Sorry for hijacking your brilliant Syren log for this anecdote, Augie!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Moose anecdotes welcome here!  Thing is, you picked a dangerous time to be near a big boy........that period is close to the rut and they get a lot less friendly.  Same with elk.  It's great to be outdoors with the creatures who call it home.  N. America must have been really spectacular 200 years ago.  Just glad some of it still is.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

A friend of mine regularly goes hunting with his buddies up near Sault Ste Marie (ON). One particularly grey rainy day he'd put his back pack down on the trail, and walked ahead through the fir trees to a clearing at the edge if a hill, to have a look around. He suddenly heard this sound behind him of rattling cans. He turned around, and there was a moose rummaging through his pack.... He was so shocked, I can't remember if he said he had a thirty-ought-six or a thirty-thirty, but somehow he managed to unload an entire magazine at the moose and not hit it once.... Well maybe he grazed an ear... He said he managed to chamber two more single shot rounds as he chased the moose through the bush.... But rest assured.... That moose lived another day... And my friend had to explain to his buddies why there was a volley of artillery that sounded like the opening of the spring offensive.... And no moose...

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

umm your friend is either the worse shot or he didn't want to hit it :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

When I go to the States, I need firearms??????????

When I read this i'm not safe and the cannons are to big to take it with me…..

name-graphics-sjors-328505.gif

umm your friend is either the worse shot or he didn't want to hit it :)

Honestly.... I wouldn't say that... I know from that story it doesn't look like he's a good shot... But trust me... I would never put myself down range from him.... :P

I think he did most of that shooting from the hip... So unless you're a real pro, you'd end up with the same result. ;)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

When I go to the States, I need firearms??????????

When I read this i'm not safe and the cannons are to big to take it with me…..

name-graphics-sjors-328505.gif

Hahahahahaha.  Yeah, it's still the Wild West out here.  Don't try to bring any in with you though :D  :D :D  

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

AW Augie, don't tease Sjors like that, you might scare him off from visiting.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Honestly.... I wouldn't say that... I know from that story it doesn't look like he's a good shot... But trust me... I would never put myself down range from him.... :P

I think he did most of that shooting from the hip... So unless you're a real pro, you'd end up with the same result. ;)

Andy

I guess it depends how far away he was when he shot and yeah from the hip would make it a lot harder. and no I am not a pro never shot a real gun. :P

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Oh yea shooting from the hip is not as easy as the movies make it.  Tried it out at a range once and missed the target completely.  Almost shot down the target hanger.  Needless to say the range was not to happy.  Shooting in a surprised state like that doesn't help either.  Your reflexes move faster then your brain and the shots are all fired before you even aim.  I can see how he missed the moose.   

Another friend of mine actually did manage to bring a moose down with a lucky shot from the hip...through some bushes... The butcher they brought the carcass to for processing couldn't figure out what happened as he pulled out twigs, leaves and splinter after splinter from the meat.... :rolleyes:

And in case anyone is wondering, no, I don't hunt myself, I just happen to know a lot of people who do... ;)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I used to hunt in my younger days.......got out of school and moved to Florida for five years.   when I got back,  I tried to pick it back up...... but,  something about sitting in cold wet leaves in the early November morns,  didn't enthuse me anymore.  I took the hunter's safety course over again.......didn't have to, but I did anyway.   the big test at the end of the course was a skeet shoot......I did very well,  got three out of five.

my brother And I have been around guns all our lives......I had my 12 gauge w/varible choke,  and he had his 16 gauge.  I nicknamed mine 'pointer',  because with 00 buck and a half open ckoke,  that's all I had to do ?:>)

tried to git my brother David into shoot'in.........had to enroll 'em in one of those triggernomitry classes......'cuz he wuz the worse shot in the famly.....Hee.....Hee

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Okay, since this log is already hijacked, I'm going to add a little anecdote. :)

We do have guns in our house and I usually just "kill" sheets of paper with round circles on them. :P

We used to raise pheasants years ago. Our main breeding male escaped the enclosure and took up residence in the woods nearby. He would come back every day to visit his ladies and try as we may, we could never catch or trap him. His visits became fewer and further between until he only appeared a couple of times a month. One day when I was home alone, the pheasant returned. I headed out the door, 22 rifle in hand, and both the pheasant and I were on the run through the field. Without stopping, I raised the rifle and shot him through the neck. He was on the supper table that night!! :huh:  :P

The funniest part was a relative saying (in jest): "boy, I hope Gerry never tries to leave home." :D  :D :D  

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Fellow modellers……...

What you are telling here is for us people from the low country's unbelievable.

It's not allowed to have guns in private possession, only when you are a member of a shooting club.

And still you need a lot of licence for that.

When I read all this stuff of hunting I think I pass !

I love animals and yes, I eat meat , but shooting those animals? No, I don't think I can do that.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

don't feel bad Sjors........I do take out now  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Don't panic Sjors.  Hunting is a long tradition here and, although I don't participate, I respect those who do.  It's their choice.  Like Sherry, I hunt paper with guns and animals with a camera !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

OK, enough 'Wild Kingdom'.

A quick update.  The main course clews, sheets and tacks are in.  So the mainmast is DONE and we now move forward to the fore courses.

post-56-0-44171400-1373045042_thumb.jpg

A little shaky on this next shot but you get the idea ----

post-56-0-87992600-1373045073_thumb.jpg

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Dang, the moose looks like a ship.  How did ship pictures get in here????   Seriously though Augie, she looks fantastic.  Job well done.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

NICE!!!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Keep going Keep going, you are almost there!!! Augie! Augie! Augie! :D

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10: