US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

I don't have a copy of the cartoon, but you Farside aficionados will no doubt remember my all time favourite: the "Midvale School for the Gifted".

Popeye - That cartoon reminds me of something I heard in the news today. Some lady in England found an unexploded bomb in her yard from WWII. Do you know what she did before she called the authorities? She washed in in the kitchen sink. She was quoted to say "It was quite dirty". LOL

So when my admiral feels the need to clean something when there are other more important things to do. I ask her if she is washing the bomb. She gets mad but she gets the point. :D

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Hi Augie,

Splendid rigging work there, Sir, looks like your spiders have been really busy these past few days B)

I've been catching up and reading the past few chapters of your log and enjoyed every bit of it, all those "The Far Side" clips are absolute fun, hope you won't mind me injecting my favorite   :)

farside1985.jpeg

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

We now interrupt this diversion to return to our regular programming  :D  :D 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Ahoy Augie :D

I think that comment would hold more water if it included some pictures

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

The topgallant yards have been sent aloft and the rigging completed (with the exception of the braces)

post-56-0-82485200-1371576191_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-38574200-1371576217_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look like a whole lot but I'm very happy it's proceeding well in spite of summers' diversions. 

I'd never realized before just how many lines there really are.  And, for the first time, I actually realize what they DO!  And things are getting tight !!!!

The t'gallant braces are next followed by raising the royal yards.  All is on hold until I get my order of additional rigging line from ME.  My screw ups and do-overs have finally come home to roost and I find myself line-less ;).  That's ok......there are a few fish to be caught and I need to find the ladder prior to the next photo-op.

You all stay well :cheers:

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie,

One word comes to mind... Majestic!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Looking good Augie.  It's amazing how all the lines bring em to life.....and yes it does get tight.  Thanks for the pictures, and I love the Larson's!

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

My screw ups and do-overs have finally come home to roost and I find myself line-less  That's ok......there are a few fish to be caught

You don't want to find yourself "line-less" with the fish. :P

Seriously though, she really is taking on a majestic look...beautifully done!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Hi Augie,

Just stopped by to catch up on the humor and your fine work. That is a great job

on the rigging. You are making a complex task look easy.

You are getting close to that happy sad moment when you sit back and say

“yeah it’s done” and then realize you will miss her. B) 

Well done! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

tell'em Augie, there is no end :omg: I forgot to rig .... I forgot what I forgot to do :D  :D Your rigging looks like you knew what you were doing !! Great Job Augie

Edited by riverboat

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Augie - I don't know what you mean by "doesn't look like a whole lot" - looking at your Syren, this phrase literally makes no sense! It looks like a whole lot to me!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Wow! a pic of the master piece. He has been holding back on us. Augie it was worth the wait.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

This place is really jumping!!  Thanks to all who stopped by and commented.  Your encouragement keeps me going.

Think I'll sleep on the word 'majestic' for one night.  Sure beats the usual  thoughts of 'how am I supposed to reach that #$%&*# belaying pin'?  :D  

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

finally caught up to all 64 pages while training not to laugh out loud (we are not aloud to enjoy our work at work :|)

you can be proud of yourself its turning out to be a beautiful model :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Augie,

Looking really really special.  The word "majestic" fits very well. Hope the fishing is good while you're waiting for your line.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's been said before Augie, all that's left for me to do is to concur with my piers. Superb.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Am I the last one again?????

That lovely work from me keep me away from your log…..

Your spiders are doing a very fine job Augie.

Can I ask for a picture of the hole vessel?

What i can see is really great.

I think I need lessons from you !

And now of you go to the river or sea or leg or I don't know where you catch that fish, but just GO !

If it is a big one, picture please  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Your rigging is looking just superb Augie. That word "majestic" really does seem to sit well here.

Augie....I have to say that you've done a superb job rigg'in this bad girl!   she looks absolutely beautiful!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

You folks are really too nice.  I know you're all going to get tougher on the next one......but then so will I :) .

Just keep in mind that it is your logs, your hiccups and your triumphs that urge me on.  So I guess it's really hats of to MSW!!!!!!!

Sjors---  the whole ship no longer fits in my little camera unless I stand on the hill across the road (elevation 4,000 meters).  I'll see what I can do once I get the next 40 meters of line rigged  :D  :D  

Off to the hills!!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

that's why there is zoom Augie......LOL!!!!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch