US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Augie - I am afraid I am the only naysayer in this group. From what I see there is no name plate with your creation. She certainly needs to be identified! May I suggest a small block of wood similar to the case with a 45 degree face. the brass pate should have the ship name the artist's name (that would be you!) and the creation date, she will sail for a long time into the future and you will want anyone who sees her to have this info.

PS the case is a nice design for the location and complements the model.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Yes Floyd, you're correct on the nameplate.  I'll probably get around to it as I proceed on the next one and kill the proverbial two birds.  That will also give me a chance to pull the glass and clean the inside a year or 2 down the road.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie, Augie, Augie, what a fantastic end result mate, you did say the fit would be tight and boy you weren't wrong, snug as a bug in a rug. :)

You are to be congratulated on a first class build and you have earned the right to be very proud. :cheers:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6: :dancetl6:  

I don't think there's any doubt that you will make a first class job of the "Confed" and I for one will look forward to joining the many who will want to watch. B)

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

A perfect spot for a perfect ship.  She looks great!  Well done Augie.  

Very well done.  She's snug in her new home and all looks great.  I'm happy to have followed along... oh  Confed is waiting.   Need to go get some more popcorn.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You just had to start still another page on this log, didn't you. :D  :D

Thanks for the kind thoughts.  Now go fire up the popcorn (until Sjors feels better).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

nice to see normality has returned, a fitting end to a nice build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Maybe you need to add "Completed" to your build log title...

Otherwise.. like the undead... this thing will just keep coming back..... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip Andy.  So marked.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

She is absolutely beautiful Augie, if mine turns out half as good I will be satisfied.

The case is lovely and fitting place for her to spend her years!!!

Be very proud of yourself!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

• 2 months later...

Augie she looks fantastic in her new home what a great job you've done.Thanks for teaching me as you have gone along,look forward to the next one.ron.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Aww....thanks Ron.  But from the looks of your current project, Supply, you've already passed me in skill.  We've both come a long way since MSW 1

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

We have come a long way but my skill level is way below yours.You would agree if you saw it in person,my biggest hurdle is fairing the hull i like rigging etc.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

• 1 year later...

Hi Augie, fantastic build and admired by many.

Could you please help with using morope for your rigging?  I have seen many builders using it for their  so called build and it must be very easy by using it with nice looking taught lines. My only question with using it is how does it work for the shrouds-ratlines to remain taught when the rope comes across the upright ropes, in other words crossing each other but both taught?

Any help will gratefully appreciated.

kier

Saving for: HMS Vanguard...Victory models.

finished: Bluenose11...Billing Boats... (sorry no log.

Good Morning Augie

Yes I am trying to push it to another page as well.

I have missed most of your build, but congratulations,

Its a great achievement to produce a fine looking ship like your Syren.

I have the same waiting on the shelf so I will be coming back here for help.

Cheers Chris

The Morope is interesting to work with, Kier.  It has a great appearance to it, particularly in the beige color.  The one problem is that it will 'unwind' quickly if you cut it without treating the area to be cut first with a small droplet of thin CA.  These days, I would probably consider using the line supplied by Chuck's Syren Model Company (advertised here on MSW) in place of the Morope.

I did NOT use Morope for the actual ratlines.  That was ordinary cotton sewing thread.  Once the shrouds are in position, it's fairly straightforward to tie the clove hitches as you attach the ratlines.  The ratlines are not as tight as they appear and therefore do not cause the shrouds to pull together.  It does take a little practice to get it just right.  Also, after each ratline is run across the shrouds, the smallest amount of diluted PVA (about a 50% dilution) is applied to each knot and allowed to dry before starting the next ratline.

CHRIS -  There are many here on MSW who can assist on Syren.  I'll be pleased to offer up any help I can as you proceed on your voyage.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

thanks Augie,

your help with the ratlines are most helpful, and probably to many others. Thanks.

Also your  build is of great joy to see with all your details and pictures.  Brill :)

kier

Saving for: HMS Vanguard...Victory models.

finished: Bluenose11...Billing Boats... (sorry no log.