US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

yes, Popeye had  {has} a father.......it all started back in the  'thimble theatre' ....I'll try to remember how All this went down {such a long time ago}

"maw told popeye about his father.......he looked for him.......later finding that he was being held captive on Goon Island {I think by a character called Sea Hag}.   after he rescued him,  he brought him back to maw "  

pappy appeared in quite a few cartoon shorts after he became syndicated....I believe it was whitman publishing.......I'll have to look all this up again to refresh my memory...I used to have the site bookmarked.   how the charecter popeye evolved is really interesting.  he was my favorite as a kid.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

yes, Popeye had  {has} a father ..... "maw told popeye about his father.......he looked for him.......later finding that he was being held captive on Goon Island {I think by a character called Sea Hag}.   after he rescued him,  he brought him back to maw "  ...

This is the story (included the Sea Hag) that I also know. In Italy were broadcasted some short cartoons, where Pappy (called "Trinchetto" - Foremast) was a drunkard, slacker and tightfisted man. He was always a serious problem for his son Popeye (called "Iron Arm" - Braccio di Ferro), especially when Popeye entrusted him with his son (called "Little Pea" - Pisellino).

Cheers

Alex

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

yes......he had a lot of trouble keeping pappy away from the women and drink!  LOL!   LOL!   funny how the early cartoons show him with  'sweet pea' {the name for the child here in the states},   and then in later cartoons,  have him with his three nephews pipeye, poopeye,  and pupeye.  they portrayed popeye and olive as married,  even though they never were....or so they gave the impression.  sweet pea was an interesting character.......I never really caught on whether the child was a he......or a she.....LOL!   it was also said that popeye was never in the service........only cartonned in sailor dress for the war effort of the time.   during our war with Japan,  he was cartooned on battleships,  and after eating his spinach,  you would see a picture of a battle ship,  or a generator......anything that pointed towards emence power.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

When I was child, Popeye's cartoons were broadcasted a lot, together with Hanna-Barbera's ones and I was a fan of them. I remember - after eating spinach - even planes, tanks, h-bombs in Popeye's biceps. Some characters were truely interesting: the bad (Bluto - I always hoped he finally wins, at least once!), a hotdog eater (in italian "Poldo") and .... just his father, a bit like me!

I hope that Augie won't get angry for this digression ..... in case, my apologies.

Alex

Edited by Foremast

If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again! (Stan Laurel)

No, no.....by all means carry on!  The moderators may decide to switch this discussion to 'Nautical History' but for me, it's fine right here!!!!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Well, it was bound to happen, sooner or later:

SHIPYARD CATASTROPHE !!!!!!!!!

While installing the foremast backstays (holding forceps in both hands, the line in my teeth and belaying everything with my left foot),  an unanticipated firing of neurons resulted in my knocking off the Martingale Stay.  With 6 lines running through it, this quickly dislodged the bowsprit fair lead!  This after a year of carefully working around it.  I should have put a roll cage around that baby.

At 6'2", 215 pounds, I still pack quite a wallop for an old guy.  In fact the resulting devastation reminded me of when the B-25 crashed into the Empire State Building back in '45.  So the last 3 days we've been in repair mode over here (while learning the legend of Popeye).

Needless to say the standing rigging now looked like a backlash on a spinning reel.  Undaunted (after swallowing 3 blood pressure tablets), the repair crew went to work.  The structural situation was not that bad but several of the lines needed re-tensioning (spell that re-doing) and that took most of the time.

Happily, I think the result is at least as good as new:

post-56-0-16741100-1362503486_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-44702500-1362503507_thumb.jpg

OK, now where was I before this 'manual incursion'?  Oh yeah, the jib stay :) .  OK, using my GPS I have figured out the routing so now it's back to moving forward.

Everyone stay well!

PS-  Sorry Sjors, no photo of the in-process tangled mess :wub: 

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Whew !!..... glad you got that straighten out....... good thing you've been eating your spinach!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

These things are bound to happen when you have a lot of rigging to do, love the fix!

I think I have made more mistakes on the Confeds stern than you have made on your entire rigging :-)

Ben

For a repair you know you've done a good job when you can't tell anything was broken to begin with. A job well done to you sir!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thanks guys (this includes Anja!).  I hadn't intended to add 'maritime restoration' to my resume during this endeavor.  But, some things may have been improved in the process :36:

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ahoy Augie :D

Glad to hear it wasn't too bad and something I am sure you will repair. Still sorry to hear of the mishap.  

When I first found the post I thought maybe she went flying.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Thanks Bob.  I'm sure we've all been there. 

JP-  didn't mean to give you a heart attack!!!!  I'll save the maiden flite for when she's fully rigged :D  :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Good fix... well done... I think you're pulling a fast one and didn't break anything at all.  At least we can't see and there's no evidence. :) 

No, no.....by all means carry on!  The moderators may decide to switch this discussion to 'Nautical History' but for me, it's fine right here!!!!

Let's not forget Wimpy, I think his name was for his famous quote: "For a hamburger today, I will gladly pay you Tuesday."

Yeah, even moderators know how to digress.... :P :P :P :P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

WOW Augie!   glad you were able to put her to right!  sad to hear you had to do some back peddling there!  look at it this way.....at least she didn't hit the floor {perish the thought}.......but your back on track now,  and that's all that counts!  great save!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Augie,

I was looking for an disaster but can you show me a PICTURE of that disaster??????

I don't see it.

Oh, Now I know….you fix it all ready  :)

Be a good boy and next time show the disaster and then the fix…...

Sjors

Gee Augie, I don't know about this! No photographic evidence of the alleged disaster...... I think you might be spinning us a yarn here.....

Seriously though, excellent work on the fix - we really can't tell what happened.

Cheers,

Thanks Robert and Grant.  Your good wishes are a shot in the arm.

Now, as for SJORS.  You, sir, are photo-happy.  You want pictures of everything!  If I say I had ham and eggs for breakfast can't you just believe me and not ask for a picture of the dirty plate?????????  You need to understand that, at the height of the conflagration, so much steam filled the room (from coming out of my ears) that photo documentation was all but impossible.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

don't  feel bad Augie..........I do the same thing.   there are times where I'm doing something really intense......the camera can be stiing right there {or in my pocket}.......but I fail to get a picture.   you did a swell job.......nice recovery..........the fact that you even mentioned it, is enough for me.  I don't need a blow by blow......"with the circle and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one " 

do you know where I got that phrase from? :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

don't  feel bad Augie..........I do the same thing.   there are times where I'm doing something really intense......the camera can be stiing right there {or in my pocket}.......but I fail to get a picture.   you did a swell job.......nice recovery..........the fact that you even mentioned it, is enough for me.  I don't need a blow by blow......"with the circle and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one " 

do you know where I got that phrase from? :)

No!  Where does that come from?

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

All I can say is you guys are a riot! Is this a ship modeling forum or what? And now I have contributed to the spam in this thread.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

You guys are out of control.  But I aint complainin'  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

We' er not out of control Augie, just a little sea sick !!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

guess what I watched the other day Augie.........the Blue Max!.........MAN!!!!   I want to get that fokker.......NOW!!!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: