15th Century Latin Caravel by Vivian Galad - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1/50

Your doing a very good job with minimal tooling! Sometimes with those small parts its helpfull to leave them attached to the plank as long as you can. Keeps your priceless fingers from hungry knives and drmel bits.

Your call in the finish, but as lover of wood I would vote for varnish rather than paint. That's just me though. You will do what works best in your eyes.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Hi Vivian,

Looking very nice, presonally I like the look of clear varnished timber but that is just me.

Do you have a vice you could mount your dremel in so that your hands are free? or maybe you use a 'G' clamp and clamp it to your bench

Very nice work though, the posts look great as does your windlass, pity that some kits still supply infeior parts like your deadeyes, a good choice to buy some wooden ones :D

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Moving right along and going well.  :)  What I meant by taking lots of pictures is to see the parts and things through the camera.  You need not feel pressured to post them.  I take lots of pictures, examine them, see what needs to be fixed and later delete the photos.   I'm not the best builder here.   Far from it.  But it's part of the learning.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sam, I think I´m for the wood, too, now. After watching a lot to her, can´t really put that dark color the plans r up to. I´ll darken some details, though.

Matty, ty =D

Jeff, as I said before, I´m getting my tools while I need them. Next one is a vice for my dremel ;-). Deadeys coming, hope they do not get lost on the travel, lol. Couple of weeks to get here - till there, I work on details.

Hey, Mark. I got it about the pictures, and I´m not posting everything I shoot ^^. Rlly helpful tip, though, and already made me change some of my earlier notions. After some shoots, too, decided for another varnish to cover up my hull.

Ty u all!!! =*

Vivian;

Interesting shape of the boat.  I do like the lines and you are doing a great job of putting it all together.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Now, some more pictures. Just moved out from home and city in the last few days. Bigger house, lots of space and just that perfect room to put my studio in. Hope some more models come from there ^^.

post-8919-0-21153000-1387249310_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-53903600-1387249322_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-18752100-1387249329_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-42247600-1387249335_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-14426900-1387249342_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-94814700-1387249348_thumb.jpg

Please, don´t mind the glue stains, All will be sanded away as the days go by. Put the rails on the aft castle, sanded till masts got a soft conic shape and there they are, ready for the rigging, ropes and sails.

Edited by Vivian Galad

Sam, Canons, yep. Old ones, primitive on comparison to most of the ships I´ve seen so far. It was an exploration ship, from those first steps through the Atlantic, I think that explains the light gunned deck.

• 2 weeks later...

Vivian: This is my first visit to your build log. You are doing a really good job. I've never seen this kit before and find it very interesting.

Keep working on it and learn from your mistakes as we all had done some time or another. Every building session has some new challenges most of the time.

Greetings from Monterrey, México.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Vivian,

I just linked from the other post you have and am quite impressed with your work with this kit.  We welcome you to MSW and hope that you continue to enlighten us with results of your research of the progression of ship design up to the 15th Century.

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Hi Vivian,

Hope you had a great Christmas and congrats on your move to a new house.

Great job on the hand rails around the stern castle, very neat and from what I can see the masts look good.

I have a question about the mizzen mast, as it looks to be at the wrong angle in your first photo, shouldn't it be in the same line as the other two masts and have a slight angle towards the stern in stead of leaning forward? :huh: 

Edited by Jeff-E

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Jerome, me too. It´s time consuming, passionate and a really satisfying hobby. That´s a hobby I would love to chat with other girls. ^^

Scott, I´ve already changed the initial 3 windowed plan so my caravel could get more likely to those from early sails. The 16th century caravels had more ornamentation to them, too. To think most of the crew slept on the deck for the castle had the captain´s cabin is sad, yet, truth. Thanks for visiting ^^

Jeff, already moved it to a more centralized position. When I glued the mizzen it got that Pizza tower inclination. Today I got back to work on her. Waxed the hull to get an older look, as that of a used thing, varnished the castle rails and painted my canons. Still waiting for wooden deadeys, though.

Duff, That´s impossible. Now that I have an appropriate place for my modelling, I´ve cracked open my keyboard and cleaned everything, lol. That´s a lesson I´ve learned, never to sand wood atop my keyboard (again).

I´m very happy with your feedback, guys. You´re a lovely and helpfull bunch of friends I never expected to find. =D

(Happy with new toys, too. Got a Red Dragon chinese Junk which I´ll try to change into an older junk, like those Marco Polo - if he really existed - should´ve seen in his travels!!)

Well, let´s talk about tiny pieces and a lot of work. After returning to my ship, I got her waxed with bitumen, as I said before. The general look is like that:

post-8919-0-93577700-1388178294_thumb.jpg

The hull got a dirtier aspect, which gave some spirit to the caravel. Then, I got to the canons. They came in lead, as those deadeys I hated - painted them in black. The canons base were made of laser cut wood, so I sanded it to give a hand made quality and since the canons are from the 1400´s, I kind of liked the result - shaby, a bit bitten and no one alike.

post-8919-0-64794000-1388178284_thumb.jpg

As the canon base, the ladder came in laser cut wood. The first impression was of a child´s toy. After a lot of sanding and varnish, it got like that:

post-8919-0-18361700-1388178300_thumb.jpg

The next images got the same process

post-8919-0-23132400-1388178305_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-91634700-1388178316_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-56519900-1388178321_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-21926600-1388178326_thumb.jpg

Atm I made some holes on deck´s rail, for water draining. Still working on them. That´s all for now. ^^

post-8919-0-83936900-1388178289_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-45654900-1388178310_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vivian Galad

Vivian. It's coming along really nice. The weathered-dirty look on your hull is just right. Congrats! Keep on it, girl !!! :)

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Hi Vivian,

Your deck fittings look fantastic I especially like how  the cannons turned out well done they look 15th century. Are you going to tie them to their carriges?

Your hull looks very nice waxed :) 

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

Hi San, those carriages can be seen today in some museums in Spain and Portugal. They´re from early stages, when canons were still, not a moving thing. The details are giving me some hard time on ocasion, but I love them. ^^

Ulises, I´ll keep it sailing! =D

Jeff, already tied them. Got a problem, though. I followed the kit instructions on the beggining, trying to do nothing wrong, but turned up to be the worst thing. My canon holes on deck are higher in relation to the floor and the carriages are too low. Think I´ll have to make them fit someway. :(

And today´s work.

Finished oppening up the deck´s rail. On the original plans the ship got 4 on each side, but after seeing some images, decided to put only 2 on each side, on the lower portion of deck (considering the ship on still waters).

post-8919-0-02261300-1388253786_thumb.jpg

Fixed my anchor machinery, holder, whatever (don´t know the term in english, yet :P:piratetongueor4:

post-8919-0-43790200-1388253791_thumb.jpg

Varnished and gave some glue to my canons. Loved them, by the way.

post-8919-0-14343300-1388253801_thumb.jpg

After reshaping and painting some fittings, fixed them next to masts. They´ll hold the lanteen sails ropes so they can be maneuvered.

post-8919-0-39316400-1388253806_thumb.jpg

Then I got some real work. The kit lacked the rudder brackets, which on plans are shown as brass fittings. So, I improvised those things from some nails and stuff to get like that:

post-8919-0-55558500-1388253811_thumb.jpg

Used the drill to soften the sides and bring them fit to the rudder and got this

post-8919-0-63625200-1388253816_thumb.jpg

And then fixed the rudder to my ship. My main will was to have a functional rudder, not a still one.

post-8919-0-82571600-1388253821_thumb.jpg

Got my ladders to the ship, but had to cut out some steps from it.

post-8919-0-23052300-1388253832_thumb.jpg

post-8919-0-02781100-1388253827_thumb.jpg

And that´s all for today. Tomorrow I´ll make ready my sails while I wait for my deadeys (can´t really understand why it gets so long for those to reach me). Well, final picture is my complete set of tools till now. ^^

post-8919-0-30893600-1388253837_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vivian Galad

Oh my! I always thought I have too many tools... and I was right.  :P

Vivian, thanks for posting these pics.  I am learning a lot just from looking at photos.  I need to visualize things before I really get a grasp of what the H someone is talking about.  I wanted to say thanks as well for your recent encouraging reply to my Bounty build.  And also to mention (off the wall) that the gentleman who gifted me this kit lived in Sao Paulo for many years.  In fact his wife was born there.  The world grows smaller every day; despite Mauna Kea's efforts to enlarge it.