US Brig Syren by Gahm - Model Shipways

... To transfer the correct positions from the plan to the model I used masking tape. The tape first was aligned on the plan parallel to the gratings and the positions were noted on the tape (the black contours on the plan nicely shine through the masking tape, see image 1). In a second step the tape with the marks was aligned parallel to the gratings on the Syren deck, the position marks fine adjusted, the holes drilled through the tape, and finally the tape removed (image 2). Images 3 – 6 show the current status of the model.

Thomas

What a brilliant idea !!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thank you Glakie and CaptainSteve, and thank you for all the likes!

I found specifically Tamiya masking tape a very useful tool, and not only for covering up areas when painting a part of the model. It sticks well to pretty much any surface, you can nicely write on it with a pen, it is pretty transparent, and it peels off easily. So it is perfect for marking things on the model without leaving any permanent traces.

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

• 1 month later...

I finished the remaining 11 carronade barrels. I used Cladercraft’s 18 pdr barrels (image 1) which - as already mentioned several times in this forum - fit Chuck’s Syren carronade drawings very nicely. I modified them a little by reducing the elevation screw holder in size (image 2a, lower barrel original size, upper barrel reduced size), milled 2 slots for breech ring and gun sight pieces (images 2b and 2c), milled a flat area over the predrilled hole to mount a little brass cube with a pin as basis for the barrel hinge (image 1 and image 3a), and after silver soldering, drilling the hinge hole, and a “little clean-up” with a rotary tool and diamond burr ended up with the finished barrel (image 3b). Image 4 shows the 11 finished carronade barrels after blackening and coating them with Model Master’s Flat Lacquer overcoat.

Thomas

post-925-0-21086600-1446324580_thumb.jpg

Image 1

post-925-0-24293500-1446324581_thumb.jpg

Image 2

post-925-0-03325100-1446324582_thumb.jpg

Image 3

post-925-0-06485400-1446324584_thumb.jpg

Image 4

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

That must have pained you greatly having to paint those beautiful brass carronades Thomas.  :)  I know what you mean about measuring the drawings and making the other barrels work.  That also works in reverse as the 1:76 scale  24 lb. cannon on my kit are the same size as Chuck's 12 pounders in 1:64 scale. So those will work for the long guns. Still looking to source some brass carronades though.  

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

beautiful work Thomas,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Every aspect of this build is very, very well done!!!........a joy to observe and another level to strive for..........

jp

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

George, Brian, Greg, Bob, Sal, Nils, JP, thank you so much for your kind comments! And thanks for all the likes! Feed back in general, and this kind of positive feed back in particular, is always very welcome and highly appreciated!  :)

Thomas

Dirk, if you continue to build another couple of ship models before you turn back to your Syren I may perhaps be able to catch up with you  :)

Thomas

• 3 weeks later...

Frank, thank you so much for your kind words! I learned a lot of new techniques and good ideas from build logs of other members in this forum. For me this really is part of the fun besides building the model - the exchange of ideas and solutions to modeling problems  :)

Thomas

Thomas,

I haven't been on MSW for a long time and have yet to catch up with all the nice builds here. I have seen what can be done with a lot of skill and creative thinking to bring these kit builds to a higher level. Along with yourself, Dirk and Augie, to name a few, it's a pleasure to see the results of your hard work.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

George, Mike, and Bob, thank you so much for your kind comments! And thanks for all the 'likes'. I am quite happy not to touch a carronade for a while! But then there are still the long guns . . .   :)

Thomas

congrats for building this Beauty Thomas,

all nice and clean, a delight to see.... (as per your to date Status)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils, Dirk, and Sal, thank you for your compliments! It is always very motivating to get this type of feedback!

Dirk, I knew that you could not help yourself but point out the next wonderful task on hand, the carronade rigging!  :D  

Thomas

As always a REAL treat to follow!

Wonderfully done, Daniel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After getting distracted by a lot of other (mostly business related) projects I finally found some time to resume work on my Syren. Now the long gun prototypes, which I have shown on my model during the last 2 years, need to be replaced with the final versions. As there are only 2 guns I decided to make the gun barrels myself based on Chuck’s Syren plans. Images 1a – 1d show the different steps of turning one of the gun barrels. In image 2e the trunnion holes are drilled. After a “sanity check” with one of the gun carriages from the Syren kit the barrel is separated from the raw metal piece and the gun muzzle finished (img 2g). Img 3a shows the barrel with trunnions in place, the locations for the breech ring and touch-hole parts milled out, and the parts lying beside the barrel. The assembled gun barrel and Chuck’s plans are depicted in images 3b and 3c. The final result after blackening can be seen in image 4.

Thomas

post-925-0-83773000-1454071346_thumb.jpg

Image 1

post-925-0-36044600-1454071347_thumb.jpg

Image 2

post-925-0-70291800-1454071347_thumb.jpg

Image 3

post-925-0-41059900-1454071348_thumb.jpg

Image 4

Edited by Gahm