US Brig Syren by Gahm - Model Shipways

Thank you so much for your kind comments! They are highly appreciated! Building these little boats is really a lot of fun . . . so Dirk, masts and rigging probably still have to wait a bit longer until the 'little Syren fleet' is finished 😉

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

wonderful rigging of the guns Thomas,

you did a good job there !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 3 months later...

Hello all. I am currently building Syren and am at the point of constructing the capstan. Looking ahead, I am confused about the longboat being carried on deck. I'm thinking that a 25' long wooden boat must have weighed over 1000 lbs. How was this boat lifted over the bulkwarks to be launched and even more difficult, how was it retrieved from the water and repositioned on deck. There doesn't appear to be any equipment on the ship to accomplish this.

Regards

Frank

Frank, 

They rigged tackles from the yard arms and stays that facilitated getting the boats or cargo over the side.

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

• 3 months later...

Thank you for your interest! Don't worry, I will finish my Syren, every little detail of it, and will continue posting as well. In the moment only 'a lot of life' is getting in my way and progress is very slow. This hopefully will change again in the future, at the latest once I retire from work 😉

Thomas

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Well, it has been a while since my last update . . .

Currently progress is very slow. I built a nicer stand for my model (images 1 – 3) following Chuck’s initial example on his Syren. I also experimented with hanging my jolly boat from the rear davits and noticed a few things:

-        If I hang the jolly boat ready to be lowered it does not cover up the stern carvings and its details are displayed best (images 4 – 8).

-        Although I have some pear wood accents on my Syren model, building the whole jolly boat out of pear wood does not match the color scheme of my Syren and looks far too dark (images 4 and 5).  So I had to rebuild the jolly boat a second time using bass wood with box wood accents. Image 9 shows the work in progress.

Thomas

IMG_1.thumb.jpg.5d926e3b37460ae5df2b18915ab0fba2.jpg

Image 1

Img_2.thumb.jpg.29b979fd2ff073de13f87f8227637302.jpg

Image 2

Img_3.thumb.jpg.37db7ee2c66ee7bf41d00c86eaeac2b9.jpg

Image 3

Img_4.thumb.jpg.c98b4e651803cfdf1352019b354da14a.jpg

Image 4

Img_5.thumb.jpg.ef9df9cc76aa6ce26ff03cd8dc9af8a4.jpg

Image 5

Img_6.thumb.jpg.0fec931f3780bdc4332f94200e149a24.jpg

Image 6

Img_7.thumb.jpg.970f8d69ea550faeca4eca657ceb623a.jpg

Image 7

Img_8.thumb.jpg.a55eafb6e37981bf926c1c9c789eb23a.jpg

Image 8

Img_9.thumb.jpg.5f0d670518c3dea9bf5383545e8ad605.jpg

Image 9

Looks just great, Thomas. I'm amazed that you were willing to make another one. Looking forward to seeing it in final finish.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Thank you very much for your kind comments and all the likes! I wasn't aware that there was so much demand for jolly boats 😊!

Thomas

Edited by Gahm

Makes me want one on my Syren 

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Looking great.  I am close to the point of restarting my Syren after a few years away and would look to yours as well as Jesse's to help move forward.

Richard 

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

• 4 weeks later...

Thomas your work is an inspiration to me of how to make a kit artwork. Many things you've done have shown me how to improve a kit.

Thanks for your posts

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And here is my final version of the jolly boat. It was built pretty much the same way as its pear wood predecessor. The major difference is the choice of wood:  the planking and floor was built out of bass wood to match the color scheme of the Syren, the framing, seats, oar locks, and knees consist of box wood. Unfortunately as Chuck’s Syren shop did no longer sell box wood I had to mill the necessary boxwood strips (1/32”x1/32” and smaller) on my own. Images 1 and 2 show the framing and planking, the construction of the floor and the mounting of the breast hook.  The straight edges of the seats were “premilled”  (img 3) before I cut out the seats with a hack saw.  Curved edges were done with a metal profile (img 4 shows the making of such a profile) or by cutting out the curved part, reducing it in size a little bit and tracing it (img 5). In images 6 and 7 the construction of the gratings and the milling of the needed parts can be seen. Image 8 depicts the making of the oar locks and the boat hook. And the last 2 images show the finished boat with oars, rudder, and boat hook.

Thomas

Img_1.JPG.e57f0cb4a0486d2e35ca5ab0e0f1c49c.JPG

Image 1

Img_2.JPG.9a366addda602284c54a69b19d162fc3.JPG

Image 2

Img_3.JPG.b67eb2fba5cf46b604d9aa7b6c531ede.JPG

Image 3

Img_4.JPG.de3ec1a4886b383ccd379069d51877d2.JPG

Image 4

Img_5.JPG.e31c62c0e5813fa2d035138324d55cb7.JPG

Image 5

Img_6.JPG.3f74e72c6decde9397824af9b3687e1a.JPG

Image 6

Img_7.JPG.575aceb462e8d1811a2b92d8c8b2a9ff.JPG

Image 7

Img_8.JPG.08d545905590f6504e97f6a27be889b3.JPG

Image 8

Img_9.JPG.3405c0298def8837259c9c20efd9abb9.JPG

Image 9

Img_10.JPG.f7b87b26f6493ca0fb6d180208bd0b01.JPG

Image 10

Wow, truly outstanding!  It had been quiet for a while, I was wondering what you were up to.

Fantastic looking jolly boat.  One of the best I've seen at that size.

What does it scale to.  Is it supposed to be 16' in full scale?  What did you use for plans/formers?

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Just in awe of your work Thomas, and thankyou for showing the details.  These would be amazing at twice the size, what you've achieved at 1:64 is just incredible.  Definite eye-candy, pleasure to watch your continued progress.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Fantastic ! A little gem ! Thank you for sharing the steps of the build.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Thank you so much for your kind comments and all the likes! And Dowmer, yes, the boat would scale back to 16' full scale. The basic design goes back to a jolly boat kit from Master Korabel, which only has the disadvantage to come in the wrong scale (1:72) and the wrong wood (pear veneer). I described this in some more detail in my contribution of August last year. I first built the boat from the kit as prototype, followed with the correct-sized scratch-built pear wood version (too dark) and finally finished up with a scratch-built version of correct size and correct wood. There should be a simpler way to do this 😉

Thomas