US Brig Syren by Gahm - Model Shipways

Just perfect! I love the tiny details you added as well.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have extra photos of the tank in the background? Was it scratch built? 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Harshil and Steve, thank you for your kind comments! They are much appreciated. And thanks for all the likes.

Harshil, the tank in the background is the beginning of a model of the self-propelled field howitzer M107. It is based on the Tamiya kit, which again goes back to the old Italeri kit. I got it as a birthday present from my son. What I like about the kit is that it got the big dimensions right, but there is a lot of room for improvement where all the details are concerned. So the modeling challenge and fun is to build and replace/add all the coarse/missing details. With my chronic lack of modeling time it will take me several months to do so, but once finished it will be a worthwhile model. And as you know by now, I like details 😉

On your request I am going to add one picture of the current state of the model. Only the self-propelled gun carriage has a first coat of paint, and a big part of the gun is not even glued together. 

Thomas

20210801_144829a.thumb.jpg.71391e4e98b59757782e40f1d4d56b15.jpg

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thank you for showing us the tank model, Thomas. She's amazing!! If that's still under construction, I can't even imagine what it will look like when finished. Please do share more photos when she's done 😀

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

• 1 month later...

I made some progress on the bowsprit assembly. I turned bowsprit, jibboom and flying jibboom out of bass wood, which was especially selected for very little grain. As all pieces are pretty fragile the shaping on the lathe was done with sand paper held between two fingers to apply equal pressure from both sides (image 1). The result is shown in image 2. The details like sheaves, bee blocks, cleats were done following the Syren instruction book. The lead plate for the sling saddle (image 3) was simulated with a piece of photo paper painted lead gray and ‘metalized’ by buffing it with ‘Grimy Black’ from ‘Doc O’Brian’s’ weathering powders (Micro-Mark). Image 4 shows most of the details in place as well as the dolphin striker. The latter was made out of box wood for stability. Image 5 shows the dolphin striker and the Jack staff mounted and painted. I used the staples for both parts to fix them in their place. I also made the bowsprit cap out of box wood. The holes in the bass wood version included in the kit were too large for my jibboom, and they did not take the angle of about 20° into account. Image 6 presents how I simulated the leather lining for the jibboom. A piece of paper was painted with several coats of enamel leather color and fixed around a wooden dowel turned to the diameter of the jibboom at the location where it crossed the bowsprit cap. This arrangement was sanded to an angle of 20° on both sides, slotted on both ends with an Exacto knife, and mounted on the jibboom at the appropriate location.  This of course was a bit tricky 😉. Once the jibboom was glued in place, the little pieces resulting from the slotting were bent upwards and glued to the bowsprit cap with white glue, which could be cleaned up with water (hence the enamel leather color in order to prevent the paper from dissolving). The result is shown in images 7 and 8.

Thomas

Img_01.JPG.c8f25768f10d7a3ee8457f145286e0a3.JPG

Image 1

Img_02.thumb.jpg.4a9989fa0938455c0ff6a63b371a7e9c.jpg

Image 2

Img_03.JPG.6bf27a1c80af999926dda71d281d2f4e.JPG

Image 3

Img_04.thumb.jpg.442fd135ee4e89816821d47cb211938b.jpg

Image 4

Img_05.JPG.cdcd43e7b4d2c339f2703ecbf54d62cc.JPG

Image 5

Img_06.JPG.7bbd502c606839704323cce5a4f487f5.JPG

Image 6

Img_07.thumb.jpg.fda53be294e7ab771cd813b37f1a1d7f.jpg

Image 7

Img_08.thumb.jpg.2b03a1dd0a609f77c2930354ff626d90.jpg

Image 8

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Nothing short of amazing! It can be displayed as a model on its own 😄 

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

Thank you Harshil for your kind comment, and thanks for all the likes! Feedback and encouragement are always highly appreciated 🙂.

Thomas

Nice progress and beautiful work as always. Attention to detail makes all the difference.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

• 1 month later...

A little update . . . I made the travelers (imgs 1 to 3). The leather lining was simulated with a layer of silkspan painted with leather paint. The jibboom was lashed to the bowsprit (img 4), the flying jibboom was mounted and the various blocks added. Imgs 5 to 8 show the blocks and the simulated round seizing. Img 9 presents the current state of the bowsprit assembly.

Thomas

Img_1.jpg.9d6e8448050dbe4bfa26b7d20d5cab2e.jpg

Image 1

Img_2.thumb.jpg.983f77a1ac6031f5ebc7a5d2c9d89870.jpg

Image 2

Img_3.thumb.jpg.19a8b9911de017bcc4b4b1680383e740.jpg

Image 3

Img_4.jpg.b7f1e4b7e138a89ee75f890d843712aa.jpg

Image 4

Img_5.jpg.e202bbdfdf8f6ca39489c2d8e7eea0bb.jpg

Image 5

Img_6.jpg.64c89007135c2efabce1d5a8b934ebdb.jpg

Image 6

Img_7.jpg.0d10562f5aad046ac3ab5f71fe92bb06.jpg

Image 7

Img_8.thumb.jpg.417c21a3b3a2790021e96d3ed42f563f.jpg

Image 8

Img_9.thumb.jpg.8f5e6c86f70ea8610a28c458664e0f58.jpg

Image 9

Amazing, Thomas! 🙂

What did you use to seize the blocks (in image 5)? Is it wire or served rope? 

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

Bob and Harshil, thank you for your kind comments! And thanks for all the likes! 

Harshil, for seizing the blocks I use served rope. I serve the rope with a 100wt silk thread which leads to a very smooth surface. I did this the first time when rigging the carronades and liked the look of it 🙂

Thomas

Silk thread servings look awesome. Does the serving unwrap when you cut it?  Is there any additional prep for served lines you do like coating in dilute glue, wax, etc. ?

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

Patrick, there is really nothing special I do for serving with silk thread. If you don't fix the serving at the ends it will unravel. However, a little CA glue or if you know the length of your served rope feeding the silk thread through the rope at the ends will easily do the job.

Thomas

Spectacular Thomas, only wish the pictures you have posted could be enlarged more!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Thomas. I'm not sure if you have already mentioned this in your log, but how did you simulate/model the scuppers on your hull? 

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

It is a while back that I did this, but as far as I remember I followed Chuck's instructions in the Syren manual. I drilled holes from both sides of the hull at an angle and made sure they connected. Then I blackened them with a pen. The attached figure shows a closer look at the scuppers. I hope this helps.

Thomas

IMG_6053b.jpg.cef26c3bb2afa04a8a3736d1f0675b74.jpg

Wonderful work and nice progress on the rigging.  Looking forward to see that rig develop.   

Chuck

4 hours ago, Gahm said:

It is a while back that I did this, but as far as I remember I followed Chuck's instructions in the Syren manual. I drilled holes from both sides of the hull at an angle and made sure they connected.

That's a tricky task to do. Beautifully done!

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

• 4 weeks later...