Linisher

I recently met someone who recommended a linisher for woodworking. For those who don't know, a linisher is a combined belt and disc sander. This is what it looks like: 

post-1526-0-89609000-1386709172_thumb.jpg

The belt can be either stiff or floppy, and has a useful curve for sanding concave surfaces. I was told that it can also be used to taper dowels for masts. On top of its use with models, it can also be used to sharpen knives and garden tools. Use a polishing belt and some cutting compound, and it can polish metal. 

I have never seen this machine come up for discussion on this forum. I was wondering if someone owns one and can provide feedback as to how this machine compares with other common machines on this site (lathes, mills) for various tasks - for example: shaping planks and tapering dowels?

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Can see several uses for it for different applications, should be a useful tool in any shop.  Because of the way it would be used and the environment it would create when used, I would want some very good sealed bearings that are easy to change. Perhaps a shop Vac system would make it nicer to be around.

jud

I have one that I never used much, the belt wandered a bit and they were expensive mine was a pedestal model a craftsman. I cannot remember how I came by it even The disc sander is ok, however I did not like the way the table was mounted (basically a shaft sticking out of the cast base. I prefer a more solid table. I used it for rough work when I did used it. The drums at each end of the belt part are slightly barreled in shape to keep the belt centered.

I converted mine to a pedestal table that has a bench grinder and at one end and a wire wheel and buffing wheel at the other I took off the disc.

post-202-0-55192700-1386714820_thumb.jpg

Not a very positive recommendation for sure, but they are useful for some applications I would not recommend it for modelmaking though, it is a bit of a brute.

This is of course just my opinion, I am sure there are those who use them all the time for general woodwork.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I used to use one daily where I used to work.It was used for cleaning edges on steel plates!!!!Personally I think the large belt may be a bit overkill for modelling as I wouldn't describe it as an accurate tool.Whenever I shaped wood on ours,even just reshafting a hammer,it had a bad habit of burning the wood.The disc sander yes,but I would only use the belt for the roughest of jobs.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I have a smaller version of that from the local home supply store.  It's the same as the picture which the one MicroMark sells but Lowe's had it on sale for a lot less.

Very handy and works very well. I think that for what we do, many times smaller is better.  Drill presses and scroll saws are a different critter, however.

post-76-0-67503200-1386722509.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I had a look at a Linisher in a tool supply store. The finest grit that they had was 240. What the others said about this machine seems to be right - it is a little too industrial and too aggressive to be used for making delicate parts. I suspect it would grind a plank into sawdust in a single pass. Perhaps there are more hobby grade Linishers around? Like Mark's?

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hi.

I own a Linisher as you call it :)

It's similar to Marks and Yambo's

Workers very well and is small enough to place on a shelf when not in use.

Saying that I did a few mods to get a better sand on the disc. Disc was faced to make it paradel to the shaft ( it had a 1.5mm out of square wobble).

Then had it balanced. Now runs a thousands times better.

Also made a new angle slot and new angle setting system. ( slot in original was cast in and rubbish to use )

I do not use the velcro disks .. I use the self adhesive ones.

Saying that -: its a Very usefull machine to have around.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Antony,

I agree with what you said about having to do updates to it. I like the idea about the Disk, I also use the "Self Adhesive" ones, they work a heck of a lot better. And yes when your not using it just put it on a shelf and it's out of the way.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

I have a 150mm X 1220mm belt linisher which I normally use for tool sharpening. I sometimes use wood on it as well but it has to be very carefully cleaned afterwards so I can use metal on it again. Failure to do this ends up with sparks setting the sawdust on fire! DAMHIKT.

_IGP2935.jpg

Its been heavily modified and I split the belts into three to fit the auxiliary platen I made for it.

_IGP2936.jpg

Turning gouge sharpening:

_IGP2944.jpg

These type of machines are far too big for model making but the small ones with the 1 inch wide belt that some have shown should be ideal with a fine belt.

Apparently there are several different versions of this machine, but all have similar features.

Mine is a Ryobi, but what I like to point out is that the table has a big gap between the disk and work piece; a good place to loose those small pieces.

I ended up using a thin section of birch plywood to solve that issue (as well as for my band and jig saws).

To see what I am talking about go a few frames into the following video (ignore the picture that starts the vid):

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .