Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Dee_Dee - FINISHED - Scratch Build based on Chapelles book "American Small Sailing Craft" + 1 Part from Midwest Products - 1:24 - Small

Popeye, thanks for putting 'moveable features' into perspective. The centerboard is done and I was only off by 1/128", but it works and I'm happy. 

The planking is done and all excess material has been removed.  The third bulkhead and the transom are the only two kit parts that remain as the original kit part, everything else has been removed or changed per info found in Chapelle's book and other reliable sources on the web. 

These boats had a relatively long life due to numerous reasons, one being the sheer timbers and the keel structure were much stronger than necessary.  In these photos, you will see how the keel has been built up and runs the full length of the hull.    

The first two photos show the mast shoe and the keel.  I am making the assumption that the mast was square at the shoe due to the way the sails were set while fishing.   It is a tight fit left to right, but there was room to adjust the rake.  The mast rake is fixed with "T" shaped spacer blocks that drop into the shoe.  When I install the fish well covers, I will go into more detail and sources. 

The first bulkhead was completely removed.  I'll add a false frame to hide the glue residue and support the planking and a cross brace for the mast. 

post-206-0-80861100-1416886189_thumb.jpg

HULL PLANKING  

I started planking with 3/32" x 1/4" planking, after prepping, the planks measured between 3/64" and 1/16".  Mathematically, I only needed to use 11 planks total.  But I went with 13 planks total.  Reason being is the planking makes a hard turn around the fourth bulkhead and on the transom.  With the additional planks, I narrowed the planks to make the turn and still have enough wood left to sand the hull smooth.

The fourth bulkhead has been removed.  This was easy since only the garboard plank and the first three planks were glued to this bulkhead.  .  I will replace this with a false frame and also to support the planking.    

post-206-0-98901100-1416886335_thumb.jpg

Bow planking turned out good.  I might have to add a wood splice onto the garboard plank when I add the cutwater, but that will be easy. 

The top plank was the final plank to be added and was tough due to the sheer.  I did the right side three times and the left twice.  I ended up doing it in two pieces, but it turns out the sheer plank was made in short lengths and joined with scarph joints.   

post-206-0-75938800-1416886396_thumb.jpg

Next up is flooring in the cabin and cockpit and other small parts. 

Thoughts, suggestions and comments are welcome. 

Dee Dee

Edited to change "Cockpit Planking" to "Hull Planking"

Edited 11/24/2014 to add back photos that went missing

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

looking very good........love the wood grain!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great color and stain for that piece. Nice.

- Bug

You're right. Wood this nice looking shouldn't be painted!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Popeye, Bug, Jesse, Craig, Thanks for stopping by! 

When I started this build, I knew what I wanted this finished build to look like, I just had to figure out how to get there.  I am learning a lot and having fun!

I am enjoying working with this walnut stock.  It's a different species than what I used my prior build, it's less brittle and the color is more on the coffee side.  There's a couple of planks where the grain reflects light like a hologram and it really kewl!

As for the floor boards, in the cabin, there will just be one board on each side of the centerboard trunk.  But I'm still wrestling with the floor boards in the cockpit.  I've made a couple of samples, but nothing I really liked.  Chapelle’s drawing show no floor.  On page 272, there is discussion about the floor:  “Five floors were the most used, and many boats had none.  The floors, if used, were of plank and were placed on top of the frames rather than beside them or were located clear of the frames and fastened to keel and planking.”   

So I started working on the cutwater and veneer the external keel. 

The cutwater turned out to be an easy fit.  Almost 1/4" was removed off the bow to seat the cutwater and no filler was required to get a tight fit.  The keel was veneered with walnut 1/4" wide or 6" in scale and after it was stained, the stern part of the keel looks like it would have been build back in the day.  The keel veneer was a different walnut species, so it took a few applications of stain to get an even color.  The final color is like a dark, French Roast coffee with a nice warm finish.      

This update is all about the hull, so here are some photos.

1513722_10201295423609834_1258587410_n.j

The reflection on the keel does not show the actual color of the keel.  The actual color is very close to that of the hull

(Looking for this photo to add back in...)

This rudder is from a prior build.  It's a good fit and I might use this one.  The centerboard drops a bit more than shown.  

482470_10201295424169848_1182896372_n.jp

Thanks for looking. 

Any thoughts about the cockpit floorboards would be welcome.

Dee Dee

(Edited 11/26/2014 to add back photos....)

HEY!!  ALL OF THESE PHOTOS HAVE ALSO GONE MISSING!!!!! - AGAIN!!!  

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

She’s really taking shape.  For the floor, I'd put in slats running fore and aft.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

such a warm color.........slated flooring is a great idea!   ......a lighter color perhaps.....as an accent  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

These cockpit floor boards have been a real puzzle, but after numerous attempts, I worked my way through the puzzle.  Description of the floors from Chapelle's book:  “Five floors were the most used, and many boats had none.  The floors, if used, were of plank and were placed on top of the frames rather than beside them or were located clear of the frames and fastened to keel and planking.”   

After numerous tries , I put the cockpit flooring aside and started working on the cabin floor.  This was easy, since there was only one plank on each side of the keel.  I like the way it turned out and I'm doing the happy dance!  

post-206-0-83065000-1416886881_thumb.jpg

Here are two of the better first try cockpit flooring.  Close, but no cigar!

post-206-0-62553300-1416886910_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-13182800-1416886911_thumb.jpg

After doing the cabin flooring, the proverbial 'light bulb' went on and I figured out the cockpit flooring!  YEAH!  The height of the keel was reduced and the 'five floors' were added.  This looks so much better.  

Before I permanently add the five floors, I'm going to try adding some false frames.  Whilst these will not be 'structural', they will provide some strength to the hull planking and add visual detail. 

post-206-0-83118500-1416886963_thumb.jpg

The last major detail in the cabin is the port side berth.  The angle of the fish well is not right and the berth is a bit on the narrow side.  Even though the berth will only be ~15" in scale wide, I'll add it.

When I started this build, I knew what I wanted this finished build to look like, I just have to figure out how to get there.  I am learning a lot and having fun!

Thanks for stopping by, your thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome. 

Dee Dee

Edited 11/24/2014 to add back photos that went missing

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

nice looking flooring.........as long as it is level with the keel,  it's all good  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 weeks later...

This build has been an adventure in learning.  Funny,  after I get done adding a part, I think, OK, that wasn't that hard!  How quickly I forgot how much time I spent figuring out how was I going to add the decking!!  I had made a big error when I started planking (started planking 1/8" too low) and that was compounded with these fish well openings / covers.  But I took my time, thought it through, it looks good and I'm happy.    

These are the last two photos of the dark hull.  Yep!  The light color deck will provide much needed contrast to the dark walnut hull.

In the cabin, the portside berth has been added.  There's a lot of room for improvement, but this gives the essence of what it looked like.  I'm happy with the single planking.  To give the 'thin spots' in the planking some strength, I 'painted' the interior of the cabin with two coats of gap filling CA glue.

The hatch opening has been completed and an improvement on the first build.  The rudder is installed, is fully functional and sits on the keel.  I'll add a photo this weekend. 

post-206-0-71398700-1416883080_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-88105500-1416883115_thumb.jpg

And here's the decking added.  Finally!  Some much needed contrast! 

These fish wells measure 24" x 15" x2" and weigh about 25 pounds each.   (A cubic foot of dry oak weighs ~59 pounds.) The centerboard chain comes through a hole in the deck that is lined with a small piece of brass tubing.  I'm thinking that I probably should have blackened it first.  Oh well!  The tiller is on the bit on the long side and will be cut down after I add the shortened benches. 

The excess hull planking has been removed and a trim piece at the top of the transom has been added.

The mast will be square below deck, but will be rounded starting a couple of inches above the deck.  I'll add a square mast combing and blocks for the mast rake.  

post-206-0-80388100-1416883180_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-15888300-1416883207_thumb.jpg

I'll add a couple of more photos this weekend.  Next up is the hull trim, then the cockpit combings.  It's finally starting to look like a boat!

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!  And thanks for stopping by!

(Edited 11/24/2014 to add photos that went missing.)

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

Now that looks the business Dee_Dee, and I'll echo what Craig (above) & yourself said, that the Contrast of the two timbers is cracking good stuff.

What timber is that on the deck by the way?  (timber is fast becoming a 'dirty' word to me as you know from my Ballahoo :P fingers crossed it will arrive today!)

All The Best,

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

now that looks great!   the contrast is very nice.......really adds to the overall looks.    the fish box lids look good.......a really sweet build!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking great, Dee_Dee, are you going to show any framing in the cockpit, or are you going to present it as a double-planked hull? (many later friendships were planked on the inside as well, so there is precedent.) 

Did you find any dimensions for the fish well hatches in your research?

Keith,

Thanks for all of the likes!  Hope all is well with you.  Looking forward to seeing more of your Swift!

Craig,

Thanks for stopping by and your vote of confidence!    

Eamonn,

Thanks!  The decking is basswood!  After I glued on the basswood decking, it was sanded, scraped, then a couple of thin coats of poly were wiped on (with paper towel.)  This was repeated a few times.  What is really kewl is how the wood changes colors pending the angle of the light.  There is one plank that will change from very dark to the extremely light.

I really hope your timber arrives quickly!

Thanks Popeye! 

Yep! The walnut can get a bit dark.  These lids are closer to spec in size.  I really liked the look of the lids on my first build and they were very 'stylish.'  But they were way oversized and not in character with the build.  This build is all about getting as close to what this work boat looked like back in the day. 

Bob,

Thanks for stopping by.  I was planning on adding false framing to the cockpit, but when I did some dry fitting, it didn't look good so I decided to skip it.   I thought the ceil planking was only inside the cabin, but I just reread about the ceil planking and it was carried the full length of the hull.  So, it is close to right. 

I don't have any specific dimensions per se for the fish wells, rather, I made an educated guess-t-mate based on the drawings in Chapelle's book. 

Here's the drawing I used:  The outline of the fish wells are highlighted in red, the mast step is in green and the port side bunk is in blue.  This is a low res photo, I'll send you a link to a high resolution copy that shows a lot more detail including the ceil planking.  

Also, note the 'open space' on the stern side of the fish wells.  It looks like 'empty space', but I've been thinking that this was storage space that was accessible from the cockpit.  The French Smacks have storage space in a similar location that is accessible from the cockpit.  

Also, I added a trim piece on the transom and it's really kewl.  I shows the curve in the decking.  I'll include this when I add more pictures this weekend.  

1623612_10201488940327631_2044000831_n.j

Thanks again for stopping by!

Dee Dee

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

Hi again Dee_Dee, is that the 'Wipe On Poly' that is mentioned on the site a lot?  I'm trying to find out exactly what it is, and whether it has a counter-part on this side of the Pond.

I really like the neutral matt finish it seems to give!

All the Best

Eamonn

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Eamonn,  

I think 'wipe on poly' is similar to to 'Nessy,'  everyone has heard stories about Nessy, but no one has ever seen Nessy. On this side of the pond we call it a 'Snipe Hunt.'  

I've never seen 'wipe on poly' at the store, but I'm thinking it would be very expensive.  The 'wipe on poly' I use is a can fast drying poly by Minwax and I wipe on a coat of poly using a paper towel or a small cotton rag.  Any brand of fast drying poly should do the job.  To get into tight spots, I'll saturate the area with poly, then use a dry section of the paper towel to soak it all up, leaving just a thin coating.  It's one of those things you need to play around with to find out just how much poly you want on your towel.  My technique is it's easier to add another coat instead of trying to remove excess poly that has gummed up in corners and crevices.    

Just be careful of the used paper towels and let them dry completely before putting them in the bin.  

Dee Dee 

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

Ahhh! I actually have a tin of Wax which I apply with a cloth! never made the link to 'Poly' though as I thought Poly was short for Polyurethane (varnish) or some sort of 'light' (as in not heavy) varnish finish, I even thought it might have been a light version of Danish Oil as I also apply that with a cloth.. Here I am looking for something that is in effect sitting in my build room all along.. Typical :huh:

Thanks for that Dee_Dee (your advice on here is brillo!) !

Eamonn

Hold on, my bad.  

I apply Minwax (the brand) fast drying 'poly'urethane with a paper towel.  I use this same method for applying Danish (same as Tung) oil.  

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

• 4 weeks later...

Instructions point you in the right directions of what to do next and give a sense of security.  I think I'm close to being over the impulse to reach for those instructions......

Only 8 parts from the kit were used and all were altered; 4 bulkheads (2 were removed,) 1 transom, 2 combings and 1 cut water.  The further I got into this build, the errors started to show up and a couple almost derailed this project.  But this is an adventure in learning and I worked my way through each one.  However, this build has come to a temporary halt due to the problems with the hatch cover.  I have thought it through and need to order some specific dimensional lumber so I can rework it and complete this build. 

The planking turned out really nice.  The center board operates smoothly, it's a bit short in length, but it's a cool feature.   

post-206-0-61715600-1394474560_thumb.jpg

The transom ended up be straight across, this photo shows the camber of the decking. 

post-206-0-36117700-1394474628_thumb.jpg

Since the planking was off a bit, the decking is not even on both sides.  But I like the way it turned out, the basswood takes on different colors.  Chapelle's drawing shows a bench, but I decided not to install it, this is a working boat!  These fish wells are smaller (than my first build) and are very simple in design.  

post-206-0-10374900-1394474659_thumb.jpg

Close up of the rudder.  Since I didn't add the wrought iron bracing on the centerboard, I decided against adding it on the rudder.  This photo gives a nice close up of the hull planking.  

post-206-0-91877000-1394474702_thumb.jpg

The base layer for the cabin combing was a bit crooked, but I took my time with adding the veneer and it ended up looking good.  I was planning on sliding covers for the windows, but I didn't have the lumber needed to build them.  The rectangular windows are per Chapelle's drawings.  The bottom of the mast will be square and a foot or so above the deck, it will be rounded.  I need to remake the square mast coat, I lost the first one that was a nice tight fit.  (This one is just for show and it's not square.)  And the build comes to a screeching halt!  I need order some lumber to redo the rails the cover slides on.  There's a big gap where the rails meet the door and cover

post-206-0-55222600-1394474873_thumb.jpg

So that's where I'm at!  While I'm waiting for the lumber, I'm going to start my next build, but I have not decided which one yet. 

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

That's looking great, Dee_Dee.  Love the wood contrast--you definitely took this humble little workboat upscale. 

Are you planning to add the sliding covers for the ports? I think it would be a great detail and it looks like you have space aft of the cutouts to park the doors in the open position...

Hope that timber comes soon Dee_Dee.. you know what happened to my infamous timber order.. :mellow:

Cool wee boat.

Lookin forward to the next instalment.

Eamonn

Well done, she look great.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

man......I love that finish........don't think you could get that any smoother  ;)   lines are great and very nicely outfitted......wonderful job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I agree, BEAUTIFUL finish!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Bob,

Thanks for stopping by! 

I've put the sliding port covers on hold.  These are small fiddle parts and trying to make them out of wood was not working.  But I have not given up and thinking about making them with paper.  I'm working on the bow sprit and your original drawing has given me an idea on how to do the pivoting bow sprit.   

Eamonn! 

Hope you have recovered from your St. Patrick's Day celebration! 

I received my lumber last Friday, but it's too small for the bow sprit.  So on to Plan B:  The new stuff will be perfect for the boom and gaff and I reworked some larger stock to size.  My take away from this lesson:  Since a Byrnes saw is not in my future, I need to build up a 'stash / inventory' of lumber.    

Speaking of take away..............  Did someone say 'kebobs'?   Yum!

Cap'n'Bob,  

Thanks for stopping by! This build has been an adventure in learning!

Thanks for the info on the Dragon.  The Dragon is a lovely boat and I looking forward to building 'Puff'.  

Popeye,

You're the best and I really appreciate your following my build.  I've been following ALL of your builds, YEP!  ALL of them!  Moe, Larry and Curly (have you thought about adding Shemp, Joe and Curly Joe?)

Jesse,

Thanks Jesse 

I've been following your Scottish Maid build.  Nice job on the planking.  I thinking my next build will be the AL Swift and have already replaced all of the kit lumber.  

I'm working of the samson post.  The bow sprit will pivot, it will be a bit different.  The mast, boom and gaff will all be made from square stock, so need a warmer day (above 45*) to get outside and make a lot of saw dust. 

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

Hey there Dee_Dee, Would you believe that after all the Lumber I ordered I am nearly out of 4mmX1mm Maple !!! have 1 strip left, at least I'm past the point that is to remain 'natural' so I'm using any thing I can find lying about ^_^  Nothing is safe from me at the mo.. Hmmmm my System Audio Floor Standers are made from Cherry.. I wonder :huh:  :huh: :mellow:  

No Kebabs .. but am about to snarf back a Bananana Milkshake (Banananana is very hard to Stop Spelling)

Best of luck with your wee Smack.

Eamonn

Managed to live through 'Paddies Day' !! so bit of a result there eh? (That's what we call St Patricks Day over here btw)

Eamomn,  I live just north of Chicago and Chicago has a large Irish base.  Paddies Day celebration started last Saturday and ended last night, actually, early this morning.  

This is the start of the celebration - turning the Chicago River green.  (It's a food base dye so no harm to the water and the fish.)

green-chicago-river.jpg

2337785735_a2ca1630e4_o_large.jpg

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

On the Shelf

Very Cool Shots Dee_Dee, that's a whole lotta green goin on there now!! ^_^

Eamonn

PS Must be able to get a good Kebab in Chicago.. ;)

Edited by egkb