Budget Lathes in UK; Advice please!

Hi,

for a while now I have been considering a small lathe. I was tempted by the Unimat SL but they seem to be going for monstrous money on eBay! I have found a Draper 22816 which seems to be similar; It is a 'micro' lathe which can also be used as a mill and a drill press. The biggest drawback I can see is the lack of a leadscrew, so for parallel turning one would need to be very accurate in setting up the cross-slide. The biggest advantage is the price, I can get one for a little over £320 which seems quite good. I also looked at the unimat 6 in 1 but that doesn't inspire me with confidence for metalwork, being plastic and 12v. I will only be doing small modelling projects, perhaps a small sterling engine. Would the Draper be ok do you think?

Confused of kent...

Have you looked at the ones at ArcEuroTrade? They're at http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Lathes. The baby lathe is £255 and has good reviews. You just need to follow the advice when setting it up to check everything's working as best it should.

Tony

Well,

following tkay11's advice I followed a few web links and I have bought a CJ18 Mini Lathe from Amadeal. It has the leadscrew and by the time you factor in things such as compound slides etc the price difference wasn't that great; I guess these all come from the same factory at the same price in the far east but Amadeal aren't that far from me and were very helpful over the 'phone so they got my business. Pick it up on Saturday but waiting until my new shed is finished early in the new year before I use it in earnest. that should give me a few weeks 'fiddling time' to sort it out!

Scott

Scott,

Congratulations.   My advice is simply this:  go here: http://www.mini-lathe.com/Default.htm  and follow their tune-ups. Also, check the run-out on the spindle.

Also, check out the link at the very bottom of the home page... for HOME SHOPS.  More excellent information.  While none of these may be your exact machine, the principles are basically the same.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice to know about Amadeal. I hadn't heard of them, and as they're in London that's handy for me. Keep us posted as to how you get on.

Tony

Looks like a very nice lathe, 20mm spindle bore is better than my Myford ML7.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Collected this morning! They were in the process of replacing the splash back (well, that's what I call it) but hadn't finished; they explained this was being done when I purchased the machine as it was bent in transit but hadn't finished it and as I will be stripping it down to clean it & 'fettle' it I took it as is, they gave me the new one to put on. They also did me a deal on a 4-jaw chuck, live centre, QC tool post and tail stock chuck. They have a lot of accessories available such as metal gears and cutting tool sets and a whole range of other tools from various manufacturers but SWMBO would lynch me if I bought more at this stage! I will certainly use this company again, excellent service & advice. You could buy the same lathe for more money with a different badge on it, but why? I will certainly continue to use Amadeal in the future.

Hi.

I also have this lathe.

Work's well and I use it for turning metal mostly and occasionally hardwood.

Replaced the bearings and the Hi-Lo gears that are on the inside. Due to shear constant usage.

Don't scrimp on the tooling and please read up on using the lathe safely.

Marks advice is also Very good.

All the best.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Cheers Antony,

I thought about replacing the bearings with taper jobs, but I think I'll wait until the existing ones fail (if ever, this will only get light use). Likewise the gears. Metal sets are available but I'll see how it runs 'as is'.  I will probably get some decent tools next month, I have used lathes before and have a good friend with an extensive workshop to help me get started. It is my intention after New Year to polish the gibs and reduce the backlash on all screws as well as centring the tailstock. I may do a post on this process but I get the feeling it's been done to death!