Lettie G. Howard schooner by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 POB - Finished

Thanks Nils but I don’t think the brass comes close to yours.  It's all in the camera.

Thanks Pete I was starting to work on wood hoops when I remembered the admiral said black and gold so the hoops are now slices of brass tubing and the pins may be brass also.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 3 weeks later...

After many hours of research, mostly in reading and re-reading the last half of Chapelle’s book on fishing schooners and many hours on the web.  I finally think I know the rigging of a fishing schooner, at least the way the Lettie G. Howard will be rigged.  I also decided that the saying, ‘Each part is a model’ is true.  So I made a holder for the main mast.  I mounted the fittings and pulled thread through the blocks to check everything.  When the mast is on the boat, the thread will be replaced with rope.  I will also add the shrouds at that time.  So here are pictures of the main mast, boom and gaff.  Relooking at the pictures I just realized I need to add fairleads, one or two on the boom and a couple at the crosstree.  I have new respect for you who build the square rigged ships with all their rigging.

Bob

post-513-0-66419200-1406411288_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-29148900-1406411297_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-16391600-1406411306_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-82457500-1406411321_thumb.jpg

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Keep it up Bob. I have read Chappelle's book many times. As far as I am concerned that is the place to go for schooners.

David B

Bob that is a neat way to sort out the rigging I will have to remember that one.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Bob, Nice work, the mast and rigging look Fantastic , I agree with Michael Mott, I will have to remember that one

Best Regards,,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I'm thinking it would be a very worthwhile way to pre-rig and 3-masted man-of-war....  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'll join in on the rigging jig, nice idea.

This is going to be a beauty, hope the Commodore is impressed !

Great mock up on the Main rigging, Cap'n'Bob.

I love the detail on your rig. The metal work and blocks on the peak and throat halyards are beautifully detailed and I especially love that you included the jaw clapper, which appears to be coated.

(In tmc's most appreciative voice) I personally could use more pictures as you captured a lot of what I wanted to do to the DSotM's rigging.

For example what did you use for parrels. Close ups of the boom, gaff and mast ends would be very much appreciated. Plus a picture of the Parrel attachment to the gaff and a top view of the throat halyard attachment to the upper gaff jaws. Sorry not trying to be bossy or demanding, just wanting more of a good thing, so I can learn. You've become a great mentor to me and I'm sure many others, that appreciate your work and fine attention to detail. Oh a close up of the boom jaws also would be great. :)  ;)

Anyway, excellent work as always. I think maybe I've been stalling on building so I could borrow (steal) all your great rigging ideas. The double/sister block throat halyard is remarkable. Chapelles fishing Schooner book is such a great source, its rigging diagrams are what caused me to slow way down and think details. Seeing your work become reality, really has me wanting to build again.  

Thank Cap'n'Bob for sharing.

Bob, that mockup is a great idea. I'm not sure I've got the patience to take a step like that, which is probably why I do so much tearing apart what I've put together wrong. You've got me seriously thinking about coming over to the "dark side."

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Bob,

nice Little mock up, that gives you necessary room for Trials with the block Arrangement, thread thicknesses, etc, and for all adjustments impprovements ( if any ) before you go on to the model, a good idea

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks to all of you who thought the rigging of the main mast separately was a good idea.  To me it was a necessity.  Looking at rigging the whole boat became too overwhelming.  This was a way to break it down into smaller parts that I was able to handle. 

Nils, you’re right there were parts that were changed as I built.  For one thing, on the peak halyard, I wanted to have a jig halyard coming from the top mast block but it pulled the block down too low and crossed the lines.  So I left it with a single halyard.   

Bob

Keith, this one’s for you.  First, thanks for your appreciative words and wanting to know more.   For the size of the blocks, the sheet blocks are 18”, the throat halyard blocks are 15” and all others are 10”.  Now on to the pictures.

The admiral wanted lots of gold color on the boat, so the hoops are slices of tubing.

post-513-0-02297400-1406486534_thumb.jpg

Since the boom does not travel up and down so it is captured with a simple bail. 

post-513-0-66850400-1406486543_thumb.jpg

There should be a plate on top of the shelf for the boom to ride on.  Pins are just splinters for now.

post-513-0-36302300-1406486556_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-66476500-1406486582_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-80278900-1406486597_thumb.jpg

More to follow.

Bob

Part two:

Front block of the boom guy.  When going down wind this would be fastened forward on the rail to prevent jibing.

post-513-0-66298400-1406486916_thumb.jpg

Aft boom guy block and upper sheet block.

post-513-0-95000400-1406486934_thumb.jpg

End of boom showing band for sail clew and topping lift rigging.

post-513-0-61587300-1406486950_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-08232300-1406486969_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to break this up so it makes sense.

More to follow.

Bob

Part three:

Crosstree area.

post-513-0-26818000-1406487636_thumb.jpg

Metal work.  Gaff halyard blocks are mounted with open hooks.

post-513-0-52391600-1406487650_thumb.jpg

Throat Halyard.  Shackled at the top with a heart iron and at the bottom hooks into the spectacle iron.

post-513-0-92736600-1406487666_thumb.jpg

Bottom of boom showing the eye for the sail throat, also a good view of the spectacle iron.

post-513-0-19191700-1406487683_thumb.jpg

At present the parrals are just tiny beads.

post-513-0-77378100-1406487694_thumb.jpg

The end of the gaff fitting for peak of main sail, side block for the top sail clew halyard and an eye for the gaff vang.

post-513-0-62522500-1406487709_thumb.jpg

That’s it for now.  If anyone wants more, just ask.

Bob

The blocks and metal work are excellent. Very nice work. I especially like the metal work on the throat halyard.

Russ

Beautiful work, Bob.  I can't wait to see it moved to the Lettie.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful job, Bob

Glad I stopped over to get a closeup view of things.  Your brass work is great.  

Walt Biles

Thats some pretty good brass work!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

So many are following this log and saying such nice things about my work that I would have a hard time naming you all, so let me just say thanks to all entries and likes.  And to you new viewers, welcome aboard.  Just a word about the brass, all blocks are stropped with .020” (1” scale) as well as hooks and most eyes.  The crosstree support is .030” wire, annealed and flattened in the middle and ends.  All sheet brass is .005” and cut with scissors.   Now I’m off to do the same with the fore mast. 

Bob

Excellent work and explanations Bob.

One thing that I am curious about is the use of the two sets of blocks for the Gaff up-haul, was it because the weight was to much for just a triple block?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

you gotta be careful Bob.......while mock-ups like these are a big help.......they can accidentally turn into models themselves :D :D I hope you made two of everything.....it looks superb!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Michael, According to Chapelle’s book multiple blocks were needed to lift the heavy gaff and sails.  Because the pull was all from one side that side would be pulled up and the jaws would cock sideways and jam against the mast.  The spectacle iron and links helped the jaws to stay square.

Thanks Popeye,  I keep telling myself, “I will put it on the boat.” “I will put it on the boat.” “I will put it on the boat.”

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Hi Bob, I cant wait to see it on the boat

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Michael, I just found this picture on Keith’s, “Swift by themadchemist”. 

post-513-0-75961000-1406651546_thumb.jpg

At the top you can just see the bottom of the two blocks and how one is higher than the other.   They are hooked onto the spectacle iron which is also higher on one side than the other.  The links, alowed to move on the round part of spectacle iron,  straighten everything out so the jaws pull up square.

Bob

When  people are look at rigging many do not understand the why and the reason for it.  Not realizing that much of it was learned through trial and error for the centruries.  Your model is a case in point.  Once more a nice job.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Hey Pete, Looks like we were logging at the same time.  It's hard for me to wait also.  Maybe I should mount the main before I start the fore mast.  I’ll have to consider that.

David Thanks.  MSW seems to be a place to spread knowledge.  Just trying to do my share.

Bob

Bob thank you for the detailed explanation.

michael