Lettie G. Howard schooner by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 POB - Finished

Just read the log: Very nice work Bob. Wounderful detail too. Those admirals realy do know how to 'move' us don't they ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

OK then Bob, I'll do them.

Get your passport in order, I will give you one weeks notice to get here for the launch !!

Frank Thanks for the kind words.

Carl, hey sure do.  Each admiral is, “She who must be obeyed”.

Bedford, LOL.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Cap'n'Bobb,

this seems to be a great work ... very precise and good ...

Personally, I like the schooner very much, ...this hull is extremely elegant and beautiful ...

Edited by MarisStella.hr

Thank you Maris.  I hope I can finish it to your standards.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Cap'n'Bob...

please notice that English is not my first language ... I use the words in a sentence, but I do not know common phrases and expressions behind which lies a hidden message ... I wanted to say that I'm doing this every day for work time, it is my job, and that, as far as man is doing this, there's always more to learn and apply at work ... I never wanted to say that other people who enjoy doing this (as I do) do worse than me ... I wanted to say that this is a hobby in which it is constantly learning ... I did not want to set standards ...  ( I am not sure if I understand you correctly )...

... I honestly think that this schooner is a good work ...

Bob, I looked at all the photos that you set here (once again) , the shape of the hull, a draft of the model, the quality of work ... enjoyment for the eyes, really ...

Thank you Maris,

Bob

Hi Bob, do you have new photos of this schooner? I'm curious to see the rigging ...

Hi Bob, do you have new photos of this schooner? I'm curious to see the rigging ...

So am I.  I need to make the masts first.  I only get to build about 4 or 5 hours a week and with having to make 60 hoops and 50 belaying pins things don't go that fast.

Bob

Hi Bob, Looks like you will have to set up a production line , for all the hoops and pins .

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Pete48, you sure have that right.  Isn't modeling fun?

Bob

Cap'n'Bob , It sure is

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I've been a bit behind these last few and just attempting to catch up today.

The deck looks Great. I must admit that I loved the windlass in wood and cringed when you said it was to be painted ... but I like it a lot. Popeye's right, it kind of steals your eyes and is the focus of the deck at this stage. She's turning out very well, but then that was no surprise.  The white goes well with the lighter decking also.

Your talk of hoops and pins reminds me of work/fun ahead for me. Oh the joy of repetitive piece building, when I'm in right state of mind its like a form of mediation for me. Very relaxing. One of those things you do for what feels like an hour or so, then look at the clock and realize its been 5 or 6. In the zone. :dancetl6: 

Oh the joy of repetitive piece building, when I'm in right state of mind its like a form of mediation for me. Very relaxing. One of those things you do for what feels like an hour or so, then look at the clock and realize its been 5 or 6. In the zone. :dancetl6:

Yes, been there done that.  You think of all kinds of things when you're "in the zone". 

Bob

........it's 50/50 whether you'll get a good job or not,  rushing through a step.   if you turn out those parts,  with the way you build looks......I don't think you'll have much of a problem there  ;)   fantastic work thus far Bob!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Rich, more to come.

Bob

Well it’s been a month since I entered any pictures and on the one hand I’m sorry to have so little to show, on the other hand, when the HAER got the Lettie for documentaion the masts had been stripped and removed, so there are no rigging diagrams for her.    So I have had the fun of trying to decipher the information in Chappelle’s book, “The American Fishing Schooner”.   It’s a lot of, which one of the many ways to rig the bow sprit do I use?  Big boat or small, this year or that and then is it like this boat or that.  There is no index for the second half of the book, it is supposedly in alphabetical order.   So you look at the drawing of the fife rail and there is information about the mast that is not shown anywhere else.  So after going through it time and time again I made my own table of contents.  Anyway enough of that.  Before I could do the masts and spars I had to figure out how many blocks of what size and where mounted and do I use just the haulyard or do I use the haulyard jig also.  I have come up with a diagram in my head that I will use, hopefully it will not have to change too many times.  So here is the start, the masts.  I’m open to any comments, when it comes to rigging I‘m definitely not an expert.

Bob

post-513-0-18904600-1404332474_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-77097300-1404332483_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-96004400-1404332493_thumb.jpg

Main mast

post-513-0-58913500-1404332507_thumb.jpg

Fore mast

Bob the work on the metalwork and the masts looks great.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Russ, Michael and Carl.  Please forgive my ranting Chapelle's book really is good.

Looks really nice, Bob.

I'm not familiar with American fishing schooner rig.  What's the angled strap from the mastheads and down around the topmasts?

John

John, they are not straps they are a long "U" shaped rods.  It goes down one side, around the mast and up the other side, and they pivot from a pin going through the mast top.  The long one on the fore mast supports the jumbo jib stay (the innermost of the three jibs).  The short "U" on the back of the foremast has a line going to the long "U" on the main mast.  That line is called the spring line.  That's as much as I know.

Bob

Bob:

The line between the masts is the spring stay. This takes the place of the main stay. There will probably be a turnbuckle at one end for tensioning, but I am basing that off my experience with Gulf Coast schooners.

Russ

Thanks Russ that makes sense.  I haven’t seen the turnbuckle yet but I’ll keep looking.

Bob

lovely brass Fittings on the masttops Bob,

also the portside birdsview on deck and masts Looks great...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Bob, The metal work looks great, ( I wish I could get my metal work to look that good ) She sure is a beautiful boat . How is the prodution line coming along ( for the mast hoops and pins)

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member :