Lettie G. Howard schooner by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 POB - Finished

Hey Pete, Looks like we were logging at the same time. 

Great Minds Think alike

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

• 4 weeks later...

Michael, Pete, Lawrence and Likes,

Sorry I haven’t been posting but I now think the research is far enough along that I can start rigging.  I threw together a rope walk and a serving machine.  Their noit pretty but they will do the job.  I was also given a new book, ”A Scratchbuilder’s  Evolutionary Development”.  Wow, what a book.  He goes into how to do things that he has learned, and I say to myself, ‘Do I really need to do that on this boat?”  Decisions, decisions, decisions.  Ah well hope to have pictures soon.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

You would have to go and mention another book I'll need. :P:) 

and to your question of "do I really need to do that on this boat?"  I would ask this, do you "need" to even build this boat at all?

which the answer, if your like me, is definitely YES...... oh those decisions... they are what keeps holding me back.

I say, push the envelope - watch it bend :dancetl6:

now I must resist the urge to purchase another literary resource  :rolleyes: 

...which is leading to a shelving shortage problem  :huh: 

...oh the trials We endure ^_^

Keith, you’re not helping.  You say, “Go for it.” The admiral says, “Finish it.”  Sorry but you know who wins that one.  But there will be other boats and I keep learning.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

I've found when the admiral becomes that envelope, it bends much less easily.... :(

and sometimes if you push that envelope to hard, you may be the one to bend... Oh, the things we do for Love :rolleyes:

Amen to that, Brother.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I feel I know enough to start the rigging.  I did the starboard shrouds, the fore stay and the spring lines.  I had to do the deadeye lacing three times and the spring lines twice.  I made a jig to help make the thimbles but I’m still scrap a lot.  I may have to remake the jig.  Still a long way to go but at least I’m started.

Bob

post-513-0-76700800-1410202020_thumb.jpg

Starboard side

post-513-0-69529400-1410202030_thumb.jpg

Main shrouds

post-513-0-32846300-1410202047_thumb.jpg

Fore shrouds

post-513-0-24072400-1410202069_thumb.jpg

Main topmast looking aft

post-513-0-70277700-1410202084_thumb.jpg

Main masthead

post-513-0-72899700-1410202098_thumb.jpg

Fore masthead

Just amazing Cap'n'Bob, Beautiful Rigging work. :dancetl6:

Those thimbles are a pain to get looking right. I'm glad that I'm stalled building ATM, as your making many of the details I'd like made for the DSotM rigging and it is always good to have a finished example to look over.

The added look of the detailed metalwork, in my opinion, makes so much difference in the finished built. Plus figuring out just how to simulate this little pieces stretches us as builders. 

For me, just doing the metalwork in the bow shrouds, I had lots of waste and do overs. Every time you repeat a process though you learn a bit new and get just that better at making the next one.

Your Lettie's turning into one heck of a Lady.

looks superb Bob.........your a lot farther than you let on  ;)   lots of metal detail throughout........nicely done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bob the rigging is looking super, seeing, the mast hoops on the topmast surprised me at first, but then it made sense.

Keith said "Every time you repeat a process though you learn a bit new and get just that better at making the next one."

I couldn't agree more.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Bob,

your rigging Looks good, also all the fine metal work on it....

What is the block size at the fore masthead you did the metal block stropping on with brass wire ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks for all the replies and likes.

You’re right John, just a start.

You got me Keith.  I was hoping you would be ahead so I could follow you.

Thanks Elia, Now I'm learning those names, it’s a bit different then the little day sailors I usually build.

Popeye,  “a lot farther than you let on”  I can only hope that is true.

"Every time you repeat a process though you learn a bit new and get just that better at making the next one." Michael and Keith, if that is true I should be an expert by the time the Lettie is finished.

Bedford, don’t worry there’s a lot more to come.  After the rigging and sails I have a seine boat and a dory to add.

Nils, the throat halyard blocks scale to about 14” and the peak halyard blocks are 10”.  The brass wire stropping goes along with the black and gold request by the admiral.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Hi Bob:

You're doing a great job on the rigging.  I feel another trip to your area coming up so I can see it in person.  I'll send you a PM when I know a good day - possibly next week.

Frank

Thanks for the complement Frank, come up any time.  For those that don’t know Arizona geography Frank lives in the southern part at about 1100 feet elevation.  I live farther north at about 5300 feet.  So he really does come “up” to visit.

Bob  

Nice work Bob! Your rig is comming together great. Will be a useful source of information for me, once I start my own rigging work on the Smuggler.

I am particularly impressed by your iron work, your soldering skills are admirable.

/Alfons

Current Build: Gloucester Fishing Schooner - Blue Jacket - Scale 1:48

Next Project: Riva Aquamarine - Amati

Thanks Alfons. 

A few months ago I tried a something new while soldering.  Instead of getting the metal hot and then applying the solder, I shaped the metal and put flux in the joint.  I touched the iron to the solder to pick up a small amount on the tip of the iron.  I then touched the wet soldering iron to the edge of the metal where the surfaces joined.  The solder wicked in beautifully without too much if any overflow. 

Bob

Yes, less cleanup afterwards was an unexpected joy.  If the flux (I use a liquid that is so old the label is gone and I don’t know what it is) only wets the touching surfaces that is where the solder goes.

Bob

Bob I have a very old liquid flux called Duz-all and the label on it has fallen off as well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Beautiful work Bob, she is looking Great

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks Alfons. 

A few months ago I tried a something new while soldering.  Instead of getting the metal hot and then applying the solder, I shaped the metal and put flux in the joint.  I touched the iron to the solder to pick up a small amount on the tip of the iron.  I then touched the wet soldering iron to the edge of the metal where the surfaces joined.  The solder wicked in beautifully without too much if any overflow. 

Bob

Hi Bob.

It sounds that you are using soft soldering, judging by the use of an iron?

/Alfons

You found me out.  Really it all depends on what is being soldered.  In the case of a spar band where the two ends make a tab with a hole through it and a ring to fasten a line or block soft solder is ok.  But something like deadeye strops where after soldering you have to shape them and there may be forces on the solder joint then I use silver solder.

Bob

This sounds very reasonable Bob. So far, I have only used hard soldering on my Smuggler. But ones there are adjecent material that cannot stand the heat, I have had problems.

I will need to start practicing soft soldering that is for sure :)

/Alfons

i have tried to do a combination of both.  Though at the moment I am out of practice.  For me it depends on what I am making. and if it is to be handled. I am no expert. Just experiment with both.  I learned a lot from doing so and at the same time had a good experience.

David B

Thanks for the interest.  I make the bands out of .005 brass sheet.  When I touch the thin brass with the solder melted on the tip of the iron, the brass gets hot and the solder wicks in before the wood scorches.  It’s quite fast.  Only one or two seconds. 

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

HOWS IT GOING CAP,

I HOPE YOUR A BIT MORE WETTER THEN US HERE IN SOUTHERN CAL. WE BE SO DRY OUT HERE I DROPPED A GLASS OF WATER OUTSIDE ON THE PATIO. WE CONSIDERED IT A FLASH FLOOD!!! YOU KNOW I ALWAYS LIKED THE SLEAK LINES OF A SCHOONER. I JUST LOVE THIS BUILD OF YOURS. REALLY NICE CRAFTSMANSHIP MY FRIEND.

HOPE THINGS ARE WELL MY FELLOW DESERT RAT

MARIO

Edited by Cap'n Rat Fink

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Mario, glad to see you posting again.  Hope you can find time to build.  I’ve missed your fine boats.  And yes, it has been dry here.  No open fires, no BBQ.  The hundred acre puddle they call Willow Lake was so dry you could almost walk across it.  The this last couple of weeks the rains came.  Hallelujah.

Bob