Lettie G. Howard schooner by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 POB - Finished

nice progress Bob.......I as well like the bulwarks.   very well done  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Russ, I was afraid that glue alone would not be strong enough to support the bulwarks.  So every fourth or fifth station goes down and is glued to the hull.

Michael, we’ll just have to see how it goes.  One builder said he painted deck furniture and cabins before gluing them to the deck.  So now we try painting before guling down the deck.  Is that the same or . . .  Oh well. We’ll see.

Yes, Jud, It will probably be a combination of sandpaper and scraping.  Little tiny scrapers to get into the tight corners.

John, and Popeye, thanks for the good words.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks, Alfons, the admiral wants the hull black.  I said the underwater area would have to be the rusty red as I have on the other models.  She said I could try that first but I might have to repaint it black.  Admirals !  As for the deck it will be natural light colored wood, and the inside of the bulwarks will be white.

Bobh

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Beautiful work, Bob. That hull has lovely lines.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

it's good to know that I'm not the only one who has to have their color schemes approved ;)   watch out if she says something like :  "that one would look good in the blue room"  {and you don't have a blue room}.........there's a subliminal message there  :huh:    can't wait to see what color you choose.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Steve,  I just hope I can dress her in something just as lovely.

Yes Elia I’m looking forward to the hull painting and deck installation also.  I find it’s hard to work with my fingers crossed.

Tom, I’ve even taken to drinking wine like the old barrister.

The blue room, oh no not the blue room.  As you say I don’t have a blue room.  :( on the other hand is this blue  enough?

Bob

Hi Cap'n -

Just got around to reading through your log.  An hour very well spent.  I have seen the Lettie many times at South Street Seaport and sailing around New York harbor.  I always thought that she would make a really pretty model, and you are doing her the justice she deserves. 

I'm pulling up a chair and looking forward to seeing the painting and detail work.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Glad to have you aboard, Dan.  There will probably be minor differences between the Lettie as she is now and the Lettie of 1900 that I hope to build.  But if I go too far astray feel free to let me know.  Learning from one another is how we get it right.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

very nice hull Bob,

with her slightly higher aft deck, the fine elegant lines she reminds me of the gloucester fisher boats, as well as the fast Pilot schooners of that time

in all great looking !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Nils,

The Lettie was the last of the Fredonia model schooners out of Gloucester.  Thanks to you showing us how to build fine models, I hope to dress her well.

Bob

Finally it’s painted.  Filler, sand, filler, sand and sand and sand, then paint, mask and more paint . . . finally.  Well here it is.    

Oh, yes.  I still need to add that gold stripe.

Bob

post-513-0-71640100-1394662480_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-65076800-1394662490_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-00406700-1394662500_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-51252500-1394662513_thumb.jpg

The paint job looks very clean and crisp. A good paint job really takes some time. Nice work.

Russ

Bob, the paint job looks very good it will be great to see the contrast with the deck planking. as you install it.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Russ, Mauro, Michael,

Someday I will have to take painting classes to come up to what people see.  Thanks all.

Yes the deck is next.

Bob

That hull looks sweet Bob. :)  I like your plier rack. :)  the digital clock, :(  I could do without. ;)

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

nice job on the hull Bob.......the paint looks great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

S.os, I agree with you about the clock, but at present . . .

Mark, thanks for the kind words.

Lawrence, I know about one boat at a time.  That’s the way I build also.  I’m sure the Annie will wait for you.

Thanks, Popeye the black paint help to mask the bad places.

David B, I agree.  It was the lines that grabbed my attention.

Now that I’ve said all that, I need to mess things up.  I just realized that I forgot the hawseholes.  There is extra wood above them and the drawings say they are bronze hawseholes.  Now let’s see, first I'll have to . . .  

Bob

see if you can find those eyelets  leather belts and stuff......they come in different sizes and metals

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, I wish that would work.  The hawsehole goes through the bulwarks almost parallel to the keel, so the outside shape will have to be an oval.  You can also see the wood that will have to be added above the hawsehole.

Bob

post-513-0-34085100-1394830541.jpg

Bob, if you drilled a hole the same diameter as some brass tube through a small piece of hardwood, then cut it trough to the shape of the hull at the bow, you could then file the brass tube to the same shape then anneal it and seat it back in the hole only sticking out a little bit. Next you could use the end of a piece of solid rod to shape the open end into an oval type eyelet. Just a though because I have to do the same thing and I though I could watch how you get on before doing mine;~) 

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Bob,

great job with the hull painting!

I use pretty much the same method as Michael - a hole to the diameter of a piece of brass tubing that can then be cut to the correct shape at each end and the outer rim filed nicely rounded to protrude from the hull.

John

Bob,

I haven't checked in with you for a while, and I see you've made excellent progress. The hull looks beautiful! Up to your standards.

I had to make hawse holes for Vinal Haven. I decided to make just the outer lips which I fashioned to oval shape from styrene sheet. So, you need 4, 2 for each side. Drill a small hole in the styrene and enlarge with file, or knife to oval shape; then file the outside edge down to make the lip; stick it on the hull.

Tom

Tom, I remember how you did that on the Vinal Haven and it turned out looking very good.

Michael, sounds like John did it first but he didn’t tell us which boat he did it on, and anyway I was hoping to follow your lead.

Bob