HMS Victory by dragzz - Corel - scale 1/98

I need to order more of the .5 mm thick planking sooner or later.   I've done a couple of my builds using planking that is over 1 mm thick,  and I found it a bit cumbersome.......they don't behave as well in conforming to the deck curvatures.   the only thing I've noticed with using the thin strip,  is the moisture content in the white glue I use,  tends to cause the strip to curl a little......you need to keep pressing them down as they dry.   I agree with you Dragzz........you use what you have........I just thought I'd point out something I realized........here I am doing a smaller scale build,  and I'm still planking with 5 mm wide strip.....something funny there  ;)    to me.......I think this is something that is overlooked at times......either a person would like to enhance their build in this way.........or the thought of this process taking twice as long to do....changes their minds. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

hello popeye  i know what u mean i found that the thin strips curl me as well i dont think walnut was a bad thing to do its does look real good so far and did not curl on me just about got the frist deck done its talkeing a bit longer to plank but better in the long run i think

hi all in the pics u will i did some planking so far it has turned out really well for me and for popeye he said there was to much of a gap whear the bulkhead meet the decks just for u popeye do u see the gap now lol i fixed that tys for the tip popeye let me know what u all think so far

post-2052-0-09117000-1388390165_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-09087100-1388390181_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-15439300-1388390203_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-07130700-1388390226_thumb.jpg

in the pic u can see the lower deck is all planked in walnut not the dark stuff the wood is 1.5x5 to me looks really good so far i put the deck in frist then planked it took a bit longer then i thot came out real good 

post-2052-0-37461300-1388518521_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-64377400-1388518550_thumb.jpg

tys jeff iam happy with it came out better then i thot it would

I must not have hit the button........sorry about that......I did post on the first set of pictures :(

you did a very nice job of the planking........yes.....you covered the gaps!  :)    I guess this particular kit isn't one that the deck platform can be planked ahead of time ;)    looking sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

tys jeff for your kind words

tys popeye  and as far as the deck goes i found that if u planked the deck befor u install it it curl bad like it did for me so what i did was installed the deck then planked it and it came out well and did not curl on me but i forgot to cut out the two holes opps  working on that now lol

ok in the pic u will i got the holes cut on the lower deck now .i know u dont see the fillers in place i was talking that helping me it its cuz in useing thicker planking for the deck then what it calls for in the book it will come out right so it wont be so hight my good friend has build the victory befor that a big help to me he was over last night helping me 

post-2052-0-49728300-1388702538_thumb.jpg

welcome to my build log dave  thank for the kind words yes iam haveing fun with the build its a hard kit but iam getting really good exp from the build that i will but in to diff builds as i go on in time its looking real good so far 

ok i have got the sec deck all planked going to sand it tommorw  as u all know iam building this in memory of a good best friend who passed a way his wife said to me he wanted the walnut deck so iam keeping true to that for him .  as u can in the pic still one little deck to go so far all is good here the pic 

post-2052-0-55138600-1388822695_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-75291100-1388822705_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-48252000-1388822714_thumb.jpg

welcome to the build log canoe21   tys for the kind words i know u are doig the  AL kit if iam right of the victory witch is a lot of  diff build  the gun ports on your build was pre cut out if iam right . i got to cut all mine out by hand lol iam going to see if i can build a jig far it so i can get it right  but got to get the deck right and that stuff done trying to keep it going there update real soon 

just an update i got the sanded still work to do be to the deck just thot give a pic here it is 

post-2052-0-50074700-1388910023_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-13829700-1388910036_thumb.jpg

the deck planking looks very good Dragzz....I like the wood texture.   wish I could be of help with the gun ports

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

so for right now there nothing been done iam taking a break be back real soon 

• 3 weeks later...

hello all   iam back i had to take a break after the loss of my dog taz   so i went out a found a new puppy looks just like taz so i had to name hhim  taz jr     on with the ship  so what i ahve done now is put on the 3 deck and if now planked  sitill a bit of work to do with it fine sanding to it cut the hole out  did some work to the bow fillers so far there looking really nice let know what i all think if there somthing i need to know ples feel free to say 

post-2052-0-93905600-1391303549_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-05402600-1391303568_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-89674300-1391303578_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-23139300-1391303587_thumb.jpg

sorry to hear of your loss.....time now is the best medicine.   glad to see your back in the ship yard.......nice update  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

ty popeye   it just takes time  beening  back in the shipyard just puts my mind in the right place i love woring on the models so much fun that what its all about and times go by so fast when working on the ships . my friends call e to go to the bars and stuff but i tell them iam working on my ship  thay think iam nuts for working on a model but thats what i like to do so beening on the forums now i know where my friends are. i might be slow at ship building but u have to start so where .   more pic to come thanks u all 

ok a bit of an update  i now have the bow filler in place  so far so good  still working on stern fillers hers a pic   

post-2052-0-56782200-1391399585_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-28984100-1391399596_thumb.jpg

it's all progress,  my friend.   lots of folks don't understand...perhaps if they picked up an x-actor,  they might find that inner child,  that's crying to get out! :)    your best just the way you are.........

I sit at home with a 30 pack........and I'm just as content ;)     you'll be back up to speed in no time.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

tys popeye   the ship going well so far get ready for the planking just a bit prep work to do then it will time to plank the ship

tys canone the best part for me is i like planking and all the fine detail at the end of it all 

just a little update iam starting to ad the blocks for the gun ports as u will see in the pic  its to get them right when the plans are not 1to1  instructions book is so bad u get 7 pages no pic in the book at all looking on the msw web site going thu dont see to many to go by doing the best i can do all i can do is just take my time check the 4 times glue one time that my moto 

post-2052-0-32246300-1392097541_thumb.jpg

That's the spirit. Just looking over the log of yours and have to say well done! The bow fillers look great, the planked deck looks great, the whole ship looks great. Take your time and you will be rewarded. Keep up the great work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

tys  colemen      for your kind words   as the build for me is going well lot more to come i will up date real soon

here it is now with all the blocks in place for the gun ports just a bit pf an update

post-2052-0-15118200-1392196495_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-11400300-1392196506_thumb.jpg

I am behind you on your construction and check your pictures with my effort. One of the things I noticed was there is no support under the decks for the installation of the mast. Therefore I installed a block of wood under the deck at each msat location. You might want to see what you think. Keep up the pictures I need them. The location of the gun ports seem to be a quess factor for me. Will just have to scale and hoe for the best. your pictures will help.

welcome to my build log harm yes i do agree with u on the masts  iam working on that iam going take a block and dill the same hole as the masts for each one  will be doing more work to it . there will be lots of pic of each stage for u to see