HMS Victory by dragzz - Corel - scale 1/98

and thank u to canone for that great in that u send me it will help in my building i go to day and get some clips for the planking 

Dragzz the planking looks uneven to me. Did you sand the frames to make the edges level and a smooth transition to the next frame . You are going to have a difficult time getting a smooth surface for the final planking. I have used Liqitex Modeling Paste to help level and it also helps with the gluing absorption when applying the finish planking. I would recommend you remove the nails because the planking is very thin.

I hope you don't take this comment bad. 

hello canone  this is the frist stage of planking  so there no where to use the clips if u know what i mean here the clips i got 

post-2052-0-92557400-1393729066_thumb.jpg

to canone and dave   in the pic u will see as i took all the planks off . cuz it was not looking good at all so i thot i will redo it it all so i have one plank on right now it is not glued. iam useing t pins so i can take them after . there two stages of planking for the ship .ater i get about half way done u have to start to taper the planks if iam right that what i shows in the plans.  but the one plank on there now look much better heres the pic of it .  thnaks for all the great info iam takeing all in 

post-2052-0-79641900-1393740868_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-67187500-1393740936_thumb.jpg

Dragzz I am glad you started over. Be sure there is a smooth transition over all of the frames and be sure to plank alternate sides every two or three planks. If you don't you will warp the frame. There is a good book that has helped me  with modeling.  It is Ship Modeling Simplified by Frank Mastini. I got mine through Modelexpo-online.com.

The drawings do not call for any gunports for those between decks. If you plank there is no way to support these guns. Take a look at this area before you plank. I noticed it while installing some vertical supports where we have to cut out the gun holes.

Do you have a picture of the fantail looking straight at it? I have your side view.

the corel build on the victory have been stoped thank u all

hello dave i can not send pm anymore u need to clean the folder out its full

here an update the deck lines are bad on the ship i have to re do the decks so i took of the frist deck came off just fine i got lucky nothing broke here the pic to see whats on

post-2052-0-04125300-1393792946_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-39660500-1393792978_thumb.jpg

Edited by dragzz

my big opps  i forgot to put in the beams for the deck to sit on i will get right on that thanks for all the help shipyard sid . and canoe21  with all the help its going to look great

the book was just off to the side not part of the build at all .got nothing to do with corel   the victory has been put a way for now do to the the mail deck broke in half so the deack will need to be redone got to wait on new wood to get to me will take 3 weeks to get here when it gets here i will recut a new deck for 

ok now i have had to redo the deck i just got it sitting on the deck beams its as bent as it was befor trying real hard to get this right   let me know what u all thank u all for helping me 

post-2052-0-97379700-1394060010_thumb.jpg   post-2052-0-03916300-1394060241_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-24707900-1394060254_thumb.jpg

Edited by dragzz

thay haved to shaped yet if i do that it will have bad bend again just like befor i dont want that

this is what it will look like when i shape the beams to much of a bend i think

post-2052-0-76954000-1394062226_thumb.jpg

Edited by dragzz

there shouldn't be that much curvature.  what you can do is:   rib #4 - the beam cemented flush with the top of the posts  ribs #5-6-7 the beams can be cemented on the tops of the posts.  sand the chamber for the water run off,  and take down any high spots {rib #1 may need to have this done}   there is a slight curve upward at the bow,  so don't despair if you don't get it all.  hope this helps out. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

rib #8 may also need to be adjusted as well........but if you've done it as a gradual curve,  it should work out OK

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hello dragzz

Ok here's the photo of the beams from your plans. As Popeye says the curve on your beams is wrong. You must have a constant curvature across the beam .... The ends of beam on bulkhead 11 should be level with the top of the bulkhead.. The end of the beams on bulkhead 4,5,6 and 7 appear to be the thickness of the deck, or the thickness of the deck plus the planking below the top of the bulkheads, it's hard to be precise without seeing the drawing. The dimension at the end of the beam 8, 9, and 10 is not easy to determine without seeing the drawings. Hopefully someone else may be able to advise you on this problem, is there any member who has built this kit on the site. But dragzz you must have nice smooth curve on them all. I would make numbers 4 - 7 first you can easily adjust the height. Just take your time, you are in no hurry, and it am sure you will get more advice that will be more helpful than mine....DAVID

post-96-0-43689100-1394122606.jpg

thanks popeye 

thank u shipyard all the info u guys give me is great going i got some comeing over to give me a hand all is good

Dragzz , when you were planking, you were using the large nails in the kit to install your planking. There are some smaller nails included in the kit that work better. Model Expo  sells a nailer tool that used the smaller nails and it works great. You don't have to use a hammer to drive the small nails. Just a tip that might be useful. 

Also I have the same similar slope on my model as you have. I measued from the top of the keel at the bow to the top of my top deck and I am very close to the dimensions on the drawings. I can't imagine trying to make major modificationd to the frames.

I hope you get back soon to your model as I was pleased to see the progress. Sorry for the beam miss . I am planking now and cutting the holes for the guns. This has turned out to be very difficult.

During my progress I noticed that the walls and underneather the deck at frame 4 is viewable and has to be covered with finish material, See what you think.

Also the outer walls under the top deck between frames 5-8 will be visable through the hole in the top deck. I will now have trouble covering the walls with a finish product because the top deck is installed..

Another problem is going to be at frame 7 where the frame is in the way of a mounted canon. Again please comment .

Believe me , I am just trying to build my model with some assistance. Not trying to be a nusiance. If you want me to stop I will.

• 5 months later...

here is some work thats been done to it , its been slow going but its all good 

post-2052-0-01143700-1409005810_thumb.jpg

iv been here dave  not been doing to much just working on the ship  i got stuck on one part took a break to think things out on it . u know the plans for this are not 1.1 makeing harder for me .better to go slow take one step at a time for me . i will be posting more as i get more do   tys dave for thinking of me 

Ahoy Dragzz 

I would say good is an understatement. I can only hope mine turns out half as nice. 

I am currently working on the fillers on my build. Not sure what wood was included in your kit but my fillers are made from some form of rock disguised as wood 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

glad you posted your progress .....be proud of your accomplishments. have you had any luck in getting those templates of the gun port arrangements?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello0 jpet where have u been and yes my filler was just as bad as your lol some poeple went to hard wood for thoes i used what was there its was not fun at all all its soo good to here from u again . for me the planking was dang hard part now for thos ports there is tempate dang it