Licorne by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - TERMINATED LOG

Played with a mockup of how much of the gundeck will really be seen.  It was a real eye-opener to me.

The first pic show both the foredeck and quarterdeck and walkways mocked up and on "beams"   The second shows how much is actually visable.

Based on this, there's not going to be a MkV deck, but I do want that whole deck smooth as a baby's backside. And all appropriate furniture in place. 

Back to sanding and sanding and sanding and.....

post-76-0-02888100-1368159062_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-93954100-1368159063_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

have you thought of planking the upper deck only partially?

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Getting there my friend.  Take a break, take your time.  When you're happy......it's done!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

the right choice indeed.........she's going to look very good with the upper deck in place.   super job Mark!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for looking in and the support, everyone.  When I saw this, I realised the fore and quarter decks will be the real canvas for the work. 

Christian,

I had thought about it but then I recalled the Admiral's directive:  completely planked, no "unfinished look".    :huh:  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I don't want to go way back but do have a question about the frames.
Harold's plans that I have seen use up to nine pieces of wood to make each frame. Then he cuts the laminated sections to the shape. That results in a lot of waste. Is that how you did it?

I was thinking of using boxwood but now realize I would be throwing a lot of nice wood in the garbage can. I probably will be using a less expensive wood for the frames.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Jay,

I tried a couple of frames to cut out the individual pieces and build the frames like say, the Triton and the Swan class ships.  Ended up doing the Hahn way. I ended up with a nice scrapbox full of kindling for the fireplace. One way saves wood, the other time. On this ship, I choose to save time.

Lots of nice woods out there that less expensive than boxwood... cherry and pear are two that look good to my eyes.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Mark. Since you know what I am thinking about, I will go the Hahn way. I might make a couple frame laminates of woods like cherry, poplar, mahogany and birch (all of which I have) and see what gives. I also have some walnut and oak but I don't think those would work too well.

Still in the planning phase.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

The deck is finally sanded but no finish has been applied.  I'll hold until all the deck furniture and the aft area of the great cabin is completed.

So on to some deck furniture....  I'll preface this with: DON'T TRY THIS!!!!!!!!!!

I chose to do the pumps next.  Octagonal in shape with a peculiar hourglass chunk of metal at the top of the pump rod.  Rope is lashed around this, the runs up to a long bar lashed to the mast.  The other end of the bar has a rope coming back down with 10 smaller ropes attached to it.  Thus, as many as 10 men could be pulling down the rope and operating one pump.  I presume in an emergency 20 men on the gun deck and 20 on the quarterdeck could get all 4 pumps working at the same time.

Four pieces of pear were cut from stock... 1/4 inch (7 mm) by 1/4 inch (7mm) by 2" (51mm) each.  I marked them appropriately.

post-76-0-43602200-1368595316_thumb.jpg

I then took a piece of fir and put an appropriate groove in it, mounted it squarely and securely in the vise on my mill.  The pic shows the mounting along with one of the pear pieces.

post-76-0-71500800-1368595317_thumb.jpg

Here's where life gets interesting with one of those "what could I possibly be thinking" moments.  I hand fed the pear through the mill on three sides and was feeling pretty good about the way things were going.  Flipped for the 4th side and then.... the bit hit something.. small knot?  Not sure and probably never will know.  The wood was ripped from the jig and my fingers and sent flying into the ether.  I've got two fingers on my right hand missing about 10 sq. mm of skin on each and a nasty cut on one finger of the hand.  There's blood on the mill and bench.  The pear piece is somewhere not to be found and my fingers are covered in bandages (plasters) and I'm asorbing liquid anesthetic from a brown bottle.

So.... lesson learned.  Don't hand feed.   I'm reworking the scheme to clamp the wood for milling or I'm headed to the tool store tomorrow to find a halfway decent (hopefully a really decent) miniature plane.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark:

I would go for the hand tool solution. Make up a jig to hold the piece and plane down the corners, one at a time, to get the shape you want. So long as the plane is headed away from your body, you should be okay.

Russ

Auch!!! Mark,

Sorry to hear about your accident. One question, as this or something like this happend to me (although, without so much damage), did you feed the wood faster that last run? I noticed that if the bit makes high revolutions and you feed very slow, it will work, but the other way around ... it will certainly not. Furthermore, a cross table would be a nice investment for these parts ... However, I do prefer Russ' way.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I'm glad you're ok. Sounds like a reasonably "cheap" lesson on the safe operation of power tools though, at least everything is still attached and functioning. You can drown your sorrows and compare lacerations with Martin down in the Triton cross section.

Regards,

Grant.

Mark,

You are telling me that I have to be careful with my new tools and now the master is hurting himself…..

I'm glad to read that you still have your fingers!

Skin can grow back but not fingers!

Next time be more careful please!

When we are coming to the States for vacation , i want to shake your hand with all the 5 fingers on it!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hello Mark,

I'm sorry to hear about your injury.

Please make sure that there are no wood splinters or any dust in the wounds.

I am certainly no doctor or nurse, and I don't want to scare you, but those type of wounds are likely to favour the growth of tetanus organisms.

Just a concerned me talking. Just take good care.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Ouch Mark!

I'm reaching for the liquid pain killer just reading about this!!!

What a timely reminder about safety in the workshop. Power tools are great and fun to use - as long as we remember basic safety and don't get complacent. I was wondering, looking at your set up, why you didn't clamp the piece and move the tool over the wood, instead of the other way around?

OUCH!!!   yea,  sad to hear my friend :(    glad to hear that is all that happened.    back in the day,  I was used to running the big saws in the mill {cabinet shop}.  I was used to grabbing any  thin piece of wood for push sticks.  some of the guys would take the guides off,  but they would come back in to find them back on.......I'm no fool!   I'm sure the admiral was pleased with you.   mend up,  my friend.....you'll be back in the saddle in no time ;)

back in my day,  working with open faced routers........I developed a great  'pull back'  reflex.........especially when routing the edges off of 4" X 4" blocks of wood.   as soon as that  #%@!  wood took a fly.......my hands were in the sky! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'm terribly sorry Mark.....but glad the damage is not permanent.  Darned wood can 'jump' on us......hand or machine powered.

Thanks for posting your mishap ---- a reminder to us all.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Mark, you were lucky sir! Always clamp stuff in mills and drills.

So long as the plane is headed away from your body, you should be okay.

Unless it is a Japanese pull plane of course ;)

Mark, Russ is right on regarding knocking off the corners with a plane it is safe quick and give a great finish.

When you make your support the same really as the v groove one you set in the mill vice just glue a short piece of square in one end as a stop. I would not recommend using a screw or nail because eventually one ends up hitting it with a plane blade. Sharpening the nick out of a plane blade is a pain in the rear.

I wish you a speedy recovery of the fingers.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Mark,

I haven't visited for a while and was shocked to read about your mishap, I'm not going to wax lyrical but I do hope your hand repairs quickly and that your discomfort is short lived.

Take care mate.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mark - OUCH seems the word of the day!  Glad it was not worse - did the liquid libation soothe the aches adequately?

On the bright side, no one has asked for pictures!!!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and return to building the pumps!

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone.  The liquid anesthesia helped as did the realization that I was just being dumb.

The damage is minimal and could have been worse.  It really is my stupidity for not listening to the voice in my head saying:  "Don't be an idiot.. ".  I was taking a series of small cuts on each pass, just got caught by not thinking "what if?".

I'm looking locally for a small hand plane but looks like an online order will be needed.   <sigh>   Meantime, I'll reconfigure the mill tonite and fiddle using clamps to secure everything.   I still want to learn this tool and what it can do.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ahoy Mark :D

Sorry to hear of the mishap but glad to see that the injury was not as bad as it could have been. "Really" you could have bled all over your ship  :P

Thanks for posting this. Having just purchased a new power tool, it has reminded me of the importance of safety.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Mark,

Sorry to hear of your mishap but it could have been worst. I like what you said about learning about everything that can be done with a mill. The only limit is your mind, as long as you have it clamp and in the right jig\vise you can do anything. I went to Eastec 2013 yesterday in Springfield Mass. I have been about 3 or 4 times in the past years and that was how I new about BobCAM. I ended up buying the new version 25. I bought V24 a few years back and have been teaching myself how to use it right. In V24 you have the 4th axes, but it was only for indexing now with 25 you can also turn with the 4th axes so this means you can have the machine do your figure head using BobART and basically anything your mind can think about. I went yesterday because I wanted to talk to a tech without having to have to pay and after he show me what I didn't understand I ask him to show me about V25 and that was when he told me and show me what the difference was, and I had thought I could turn with V24 but found out I couldn't. I ended up buying the new version and got it at what I wanted to pay for it with the add ons that I wanted. It goes for 45000 on the web without the nestling and the lathe. I ended up paying 14000 for everything and then bug them to also send me a shirt. Hell I pay enough money I should get a shirt.The left hand is finally starting to heal a lot more so now to do some more learning. A person is never to old to learn something new. I love my toys. Now next is the house, and then the fun will finally get underway.

Edited by WackoWolf

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)