Licorne by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - TERMINATED LOG

Thanks for dropping by and the kind words Aldo, Juergen, and Mobbsie.

I've been working on the gundeck capstan.  I'm on hold for the foredeck capstan as it's smaller and I wanted to see how the big one went first.  Taken several tries but that part of learning. Mostly, I had issues with the power tools.. the mills specifically in setting things up.  Somewhere around here are probably 10 to 15 bits of things that went flying off before I figured how how to get everything clamped down perfectly..   Live and learn.

I also had to do some research.  The plans and most of the builds I've seen for French ships show the capstan style from the late 1600's to the mid-1700's.  I finally located several pics of some ship models for the mid-late-1700's.

First picture is of the parts (but not the whelps).

post-76-0-05018200-1370576214_thumb.jpg

This was the fun part.. using the rotary table.  Had a bit of problem figuing out how to secure things to it. Took a couple of runs to various hardware stores for some M6 screws and nuts but I got it sorted out.   Below are the parts set up for rounding off and starting the machining.  The spindle has been machined down.  As for the chunk on the left,  I ended up using a tapered wood screw to center the wood square pieces and secured with washer and nuts.  I didn't get a picture of that.

post-76-0-14553300-1370576216_thumb.jpg

After machining in the pawl slots on the bottom and the bar slots on the head, I assembled everything (but not glued) for a size check. Twas a bit too high.

post-76-0-42448000-1370576217_thumb.jpg

After re-sizing the height, I finished the shaping of the head and then reset the height again.... it was still to high.  It's been taken apart, re-machined for height and reglued.

post-76-0-97505100-1370576218_thumb.jpg

Right now the whelps blanks are drying in position and I'll spin it on the lathe to shape them.  Probably tomorrow.  I hope.

Side note.. I have an old coffee cup that is kept about 1/4 full of alcohol.  Simple matter to drop the whole assembly in and in a bit, it comes apart.  Wipe off the softened glue and the parts are as good as new.  Save a lot of re-making parts when some part of the assembly need re-work or replacement.

Edited by mtaylor
Corrected mis-type

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice work Mark!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike.

Ok.. I lied.. not intentionally... I couldn't wait to shape the whelps.  It has a few rough spots to be cleaned up, but I'm pretty darn happy with it.

post-76-0-15156500-1370579070_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

nice capstan Mark...well worth the effort!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

finally located several pics of some from the mid-late-1700's...

Funny I didn't think they had photography that far.... back I could be wrong of course... have been many times before ;)  :P 

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Popeye. 

Michael,

Oops... :blush:   I meant pics of models...Sometimes my fingers out type my brain. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Harvey.   Don't toss the kits... just bash them. :)

Thanks John.  You don't have to worry.   It's back in the bottle now that I'm done ripping the capstan apart. ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Wonderful work Mark.  I'm smiling with your success.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nice job Mark. Of course the re-dos were really just an excuse to play with the power tools some more!!! ;)

Very nice work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Terrific and inspring work Mark!!

(Unlike others, when I see a full scratch built I get ascared and retreat to the safety of my kit and practicums :P )

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

I'm at a point of comtemplating the next step.... more furniture?  I have the fireplaces to do.  Or finish the planking in the Great Cabin?  Or maybe...?   I'm thinking I'll finish the Great Cabin before the fireplaces.  In looking back, I can see errors and areas that could be better overall but when I did them, my skills just weren't there.  But as someone has said, it's the next ship that will be better.  :)

Hmm... I just realized that I'm putting off the exterior planking.. :P  :P  :P   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Isn't it great to have so many choices :) ?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

it might be wise to do the hull planking before more structures are added.    then it can be taken out of the jig........although making the structures now is a good ideas as well......it well protected.  just keep them removable for now,  if you choose a different route.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everyone.  It is I who needs to thank everyone for not only the inspiration but the encouragement to push my limits and become a better modeler.  I'm not there yet, but my confidence level is building.

Decisions, decisions...

Popeye,

The pumps and capstan are loose right now as at some point there's artillery to be built, fitted, and installed.  Fat fingers and small parts in the way aren't a good mix. :)

Harvey,

Your Conny is practically a scratchbuild.. ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

I can see errors and areas that could be better overall but when I did them, my skills just weren't there.  But as someone has said, it's the next ship that will be better.  :)

Hmm... I just realized that I'm putting off the exterior planking.. :P  :P  :P   

lol you will say that on your next build as well, - just that the bits you are not happy with then - will be better than the bits you are happy with on here - thats life - i quess

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks B.E. and Kevin.

Kevin,

You're right.. but then, I think it goes with being modelshipbuilder. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark.... just catching up on your progress, your work is really out standing, and I enjoyed the video, was interesting.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Mark,

I have just been reading through your build, and love what I have seen, except for the fingers, sorry.  I was wondering what glue you were dissolving with the alcohol on the capstan.  That could be useful information to me.  I have been away from my build for the last couple of weeks (my wife's health issues).  I hope I can remember what I was working on when I get back home in another week or so. 

Keep up the good work (CAREFULLY)!

Walter Biles

Thanks Frank.  I posted elsewhere about the videos on this particular ship.. Or you just go to Youtube and search by the name.  Interesting stuff.

Thanks Walter.  I'm using PVA.. Elmer's Wood Glue, specifically.  If you need to dissolve CA, use acetone but do follow all precautions.  That is some nasty stuff.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice job on the CAPSTAIN Mark.........!

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER