What is the best glue for cast metal parts?

I am building a model of an 18th century navel gun by Model Shipways. The model has gun carriage of cast metal and the glue I tried to use did not work very well on metal to metal application.  Does anyone have good advice for me. Any help on what type of glue to use would be much appreciated.

I think we would like to know what kind of glue you used that did not work well.

Anyway two options come to my mind: Cyanoacrilate (Ca for short.  aka super glue or crazy glue) or Epoxy.

I would use Epoxy myself. 

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I also used something like Soudal Fix All, or even better Pattex 100% (solvent free).

This is a one-component glue that fixes everything and is very flexible. But just like the expoxy glue, it can become a mess applying it.

I only use CA when there is no gap at all between the parts.

Current build: Wasa (Corel)

Already build: HMS Fly (Victory Models)

• 4 weeks later...

СA is better to glue metal details, but thus surfaces have to be pure, and amount of glue minimum (literally droplets). Surplus of СA when drying gives a white raid.

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

On a photo the template from aluminum for production of a framework of gun ports is shown 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/82-montanes-by-garward-occre/page-2

Motionless details of a template are stuck together among themselves CA (capacity with CA is visible on a background). The template sustained production of several tens framework and further is suitable for use.

post-215-0-80177100-1363457657_thumb.jpg

Edited by Garward

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

A problem that often arises with cast metal adhesion is that the parts are coated with wax-like substances that are used as release agents from the mould. This presents problems with any adhesive. I suggest that the parts are soaked briefly in acetone and scrubbed lightly to remove these first and then allow them to dry before mounting. I prefer to use thickened CA over epoxy.

Richard

CA usually works well enough for me. As Richard said though, the parts need to be cleaned first. I use vinegar. Also experiment with different makes of CA if you go that route. Some work better for metals than others. I prefer the gorilla brand for metal.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Thanks to all my fellow ship modelers who have givien me good advice on this topic. I sanded the part just enough to give a flat surface, then cleaned with laquer thinner, and after the part wast completely dry I used CA adhesive and it work Well.

Thank You ALL :)

Vern

• 3 weeks later...

One more thing to remember, just like you experienced yourself just now:

Castings of metal always have a release coating to have the parts come off the mold. Hence, this coating is not all that kind to accepting glue. Be sure to remove the coating. Usually a scrubbing with some soapy water and a brush will do it. If not, use some steel wool.
Use any of the glues mentioned, but I still like epoxy for strength and CA for convenience.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

• 11 months later...

Canopy cement

I was at a train show today and a gentleman recommended "canopy cement". He said you could glue glass to metal if you wanted to. Said canopies stay glued to aircraft even during crashes. Also suggested putting a little glue on each surface and allow to get tacky before putting pieces together, like contact cement. Also said a little glue is too much. needs to cure 24 hours. Also, you can use it to make small window. Comes out white and dries clear. will work on wood.

I think I will give it a try.

Omar

Cutty Sark   Scientific kit 1:140ish

Where does one acquire canopy glue?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

But how is it for staying power?  I have heard it gives out after  couple years.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Where does one acquire canopy glue?

Try a hobby shop that sells aircraft...

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)