I see that quite a few builders are using wipe-on poly. What does it actually do in the finishing process and is it usually applied before staining? Details appreciated.

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Wipe-on poly is a protective finish that would be applied after staining. On the other hand, its nice to paint over so I apply it to unfinished wood and then paint.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

By "paint " do you mean colors like red, white, etc?

I don't exactly remember but I thought I read that someone put it on before stain. To me, that seemed unusual in that it would block the stain from being absorbed into the wood.

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Yes, paint colors. Once the wood is prepped I apply the poly and paint after. It makes a nice smooth finish. I don't think its possible to stain after applying poly as it would prevent the wood from absorbing the stain.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Thanks. That what I thought as well. . .Coming from a modeling background using "dope" for finishes, we always had to blanket cover the wood with silver or gray first when painting colors like white, yellow or red. This prevented having to shoot heavy coats in order to get good coverage. Weight was always an issue too. Do the acrylic type paints from Badger and others cover that much better so as to not need a primer or blanket coat first?

I haven't used primer over the poly. I just paint over the poly. Usually two coats is enough with badger paint.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard