Harriet Lane by trippwj - Model Shipways - 1:144 Scale

Thank you, John.  It is a challenging scale to work at (very unforgiving of any slips), but still enjoying - just challenged for building time!  Wild, rainy, windy day here today, so heading over to my little corner to work on some more of the teensie weensie timey wimey spar parts.  Think I'll work on the main boom today.

Thanks for the kind words!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hello Wayne

Tell Almanza that the cannons fire torpedos, he sounds as bossy as Al.

I cant even imagine working at this scale, The hobby's tough enough, where do you go from here, blindfolded ship builing, then blindfolded ship in a bottle? 

Amazing Work my friend. Its so easy to forget just how small the scale is on this kit (3/32" = 1' if I remember correctly, over a 1:100+)

Keep on Riggin'

Shine On -/\=

Keith

Thanks, Keith & Buck.  This is one of three I am working on (a little at a time).  Doing one solid hull, one POB amd one POF.  Here is a comparison of the scales for the 3:

The Harriet Lane was 180 feet in length, the Ranger is based on the William Doughty plans for a 51 ton revenue cutter of about 57 feet on deck, and the Emma C. Berry is about 40 feet between perpendiculars.  All are nearly the same size as a model - just the bits and pieces are a lot smaller on the HL than the others!

post-18-0-60145400-1362946749_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

cool comparison. Hurry up and finish so I can be a good copycat ;)  hehehe lookin good though and thanks for your help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Well, have gotten a little further on the ol' girl. 

Still working on the deck furnishings - have installed the handlines on the walkway for the starboard paddle wheel housing, working on the same for the port.  Still need to finish the wheel house and install it aft and install the ladders from the deckhouse to the paddle wheel housings.

Have completed the main boom and installed onto the main mast, now working on shaping the gaff and carving the jaws.  Next up is assembling the gaff, fitting it out with blocks and the getting both installed on the main mast.  No pictures for this update, but I promise to get some up soon!

Wayne

Epictetus

Sounds like you're barreling right along Wayne.  Don't worry, MOST of us can wait for pictures.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I haven't caught up with your build for some time Wayne; youve made great progress and she looks great.  Interesting comparison you have there.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Very nice Wayne!!!  Have really enjoyed watching you and Sarah go at this vessel.  Mine is still on the shelf waiting it's turn at the table.   Love the pic of the 3 builds!! I have 2 at the moment, not sure if I could go at 3 or not (tempting for sure) pretty sure the Admiral would have a field day with me if I did =)

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Wayne, I can really appreciate the scale that you are working at. I spent months with my 1:50 scale swift sitting on the table next to Sarah's Harriet Lane and the difference is stunning. Now I am attacking a build at nearly the same scale and I have to say it is intimidating.

Your ship looks great and like Sarah said hurry up so she can copy you!

-------------------------------
In Progress Build:

Robert E. Lee by Scientific a.k.a "The Bob"

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

I may be wrong, but a year ago there were no Harriet Lane's on the Forum.  Now we've got two coming down the stretch.

Great work Wayne  ( Sarah too!).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Keep it up Wayne, can't wait to see Pictures (I'm taking over for Sjors while he is at the Dead Man's Ridge Walk) Picture Picture Picture.... NOW :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Following the post on Sarah's log about rigging, I have spent the past couple of days trying to sort out what was what.

This first picture is straight from the US Coast Guard historian - color is a tad off, but shows the sails and most of the rigging.

post-18-0-68439900-1364153023_thumb.jpg

The picture below takes the plans provided with the kit and highlights the running rigging that is included with the model.  Since it is not provided with sails, there are numerous blocks and details missing.  As you can see, many of the lines would belay to a pin rack along the side of the ship.  These are not included in the kit nor shown on the plans, although there are some cleats shown along both sides of the ship that could be used.

post-18-0-46087300-1364153039_thumb.jpg

In terms of rigging her with sails, working from the USCG drawing and some judicious analysis of Biddlecombe and Murphy & Jeffers, it is possible to come up with a reasonable method for rigging the sails.  Based on the tight confines at this scale, and the myriad other lines involved already, I am opting to not include sails, so plan to stop at the rigging as shown on the plan.

This picture gives some idea of the running rigging involved in rigging the sails realistically - hence my taking the "easier" option of bare poles.

post-18-0-44292700-1364153726_thumb.jpg

Have been working on making the gaff for the main mast - have it shaped, sanded, currently making the jaws.  WIth any luck, I can give you a photo update tomorrow.

Wayne

Epictetus

Nice work, Wayne.  This will make Sarah happy!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Yea Pictures!

So by bare poles, you dont mean just masts and standing rigging? I'm a assuming you mean yards, and minimal running rigging, just no sails. With some of the obstacle's you've encountered, maybe you mean just sticking dowels in and saying done :dancetl6:  

Sarah's gonna be real happy with this info. I think she started that peterboro to let you forge the way.

Nice research Waynedinand Magellan.

I tend to agree with you. show off the rigging and detail, even though the sails for that 1:144th would be postage stamp sized.

Personally I dont know how you work at this scale, it boggles my mind.

Edited by themadchemist

My HERO!!!!!! Thank you!!!!! Oh this helps immensely. :dancetl6:

Keith I believe the red, yellow and green lines are technically running rigging but they would still (I believe) be there regardless of if sails are there or not.

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Thanks, Keith n Sarah. I will be putting on the yards and running rigging shown in the first picture (the braces etc) as those are used to adjust the yards.

Wayne

Epictetus

Good evening (or insert appropriate time of day for your location).  Finally, I have a small amount of progress I can show you.

As I mentioned, I have been working on rigging the main mast.  Lots of little pieces here.  Start with 4 deadeyes for the topmast shrouds.  Then, on the forward side of the top, need to have 2 blocks for the fore tops'l braces.  On the aft side, 3 blocks for the gaff rigging.  I still need to add one more block at the crosstree level for the gaff head.

post-18-0-42974000-1364519703_thumb.jpg

This view is rather close - as you can see, there is still some cleaning up to do on the pieces.  Looks much better from 12 inches without the magnification.

post-18-0-63489700-1364519947_thumb.jpg

Also still working on the main boom.  Need to add 2 more cleats.  The jaw saddle is simply rigging thread wrapped around the mast then stiffened with CA.  Parrell is thread with 1mm beads (smallest I could find).

post-18-0-87095100-1364519786_thumb.jpg

So, continuing to work on the gaff, getting ready to pre-mount the chains and deadeyes for the main mast then it will be time to step the main mast.  Will not be mounting the gaff until after I step the mast.

Many thanks - advice, suggestions or recommendations are always desired and graciously recieved!

Wayne

Epictetus

Neat - did you end up making the cleats smaller?

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Completed Build:

Just a smidgen - a little bit of careful file work on the sides, ends and throat and they are scale at about 18" long.  Figured that was probably close enough at this scale!!!

Wayne

Epictetus

Harvey -

The green lines are the lifts for the fore course.  The topsaill and top gallant yards also have fixed lifts and a halliard to raise/lower.  See the two snippets from the isntruction manual below (very similar to what is shown in Underhill and Murphy & Jeffers).

post-18-0-88323700-1364521931_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-28487300-1364521944_thumb.jpg

Keith - Thanks for stopping by!  Has been a year (as of this past Sunday) since I bought the lady, but still having fun with it.  Probably another month or two before I can say she is finished.

Wayne

Epictetus