Harriet Lane by trippwj - Model Shipways - 1:144 Scale

Hi Wayne,

Very nice on this tiny scale…..

Thanks for the drawings with the names on it.

Now I know a little what I'm seeing...

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thanks Wayne. I had forgotten about fixed lifts.

Gee, does that make them standing rigging or running rigging?

Harvey

That's a good question Harvey.  I've just tied some things that start as standing rigging and turn into adjustable block and tackle type lines (running rigging??)  Perhaps more common then we expect.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie,

I presume it is still running rigging as it is i.c. part of the topgallant yard rigging.

On wikipedia they state (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_rigging):

Running rigging of a square-rigged ship

Lifts, adjust the tilt of a yard, to raise or lower the ends off the horizontal.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Yup....that's it Carl.  Thank you!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks for the enlightenment Carl.

There's always things like that that blur the line. For example, I've sailed on boats that have fixed backstays (standing rigging) and running backstays (tightened and loosened on each tack). They act like running rigging, but I guess they're standing since they help hold the mast up.

Well, a bit more progress today.  I am still working on the main mast - I am installing the forestays and topping lift prior to installing on the hull - to these old eyes, it is a lot easier to seize these knots off the hull than on it.  I still need to add a block on each stay before I step the mast..

Topping Lift temporarily tied to the main boom.  There will be a block at the end of the lift and then a line seized to the boom that runs through the block, back through a sheave in the boom and belays to a cleat on the side of the boom

post-18-0-88394500-1365279493_thumb.jpg

Mast rings and boom jaws on the cradle.  The line coming down is one of the forestays for the main mast.

post-18-0-05612000-1365279496_thumb.jpg

Profile view with the main mast dryfitted - almost looks like a ship now!

post-18-0-12137100-1365279499_thumb.jpg

Also installed the fife rail at the foremast today.

post-18-0-54732300-1365279501_thumb.jpg

Have installed the stanchions and handrails on the starboard side.  Still need to add these on the port side.

post-18-0-57894600-1365279503_thumb.jpg

Back to getting the last little bits on the main mast, continuing to manufacture chainplates for the shrouds, then once I get those mounted I can finally install the main mast.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Nice progress Wayne.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

She's really coming along Wayne.  Good work!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks, John - it is a little at a time, but it is progress!

Augie - appreciate the kind words.  Once I get the main mast stepped I guess it will be time to join the "ratline" race with y'all! 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing the completed model.

Thanks, Geoffrey.  It is coming together a small piece at a time - taking it slow on these last pieces of rigging to get them right!

Wayne

Epictetus

HI Wayne, just catching up... your build is looking real good... you'll be finished before you know it... very interesting looking ship...

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Good progress Wayne, Nice to see it all coming together.

I bet you finish your ratlines before Sjors. :D

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Looking good Wayne.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Thank you, Sarah.  

As you may remember, i was not totally thrilled with the way the chainplates looked on the the foremast.  I tried several times to come up with a solution but couldn't get any of my attempts at silver soldering to turn out clean enough.  I opted to try something different on the main mast.  I am using heavy line with a liberal application of CA to simulate the chainplates.  Instead of nailing them to the hull, I am using sime wooden battens (think rubbing strakes) to help hold them down.  I got the starboard side installed, just need to paint the strakes.

Thoughts?

Chainplates on the Foremast

post-18-0-60556100-1367182329_thumb.jpg

Chainplates on the main mast

post-18-0-90378100-1367182327_thumb.jpg

So - do I paint the wood white or black?  I am leaning toward black to help hide the inconsistencies.

Until next time -

Wayne

Epictetus

Chainplates look good Wayne.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ahoy Wayne :D

I will go one step further, The whole thing looks great. I have worked on plastic at that scale. Wood, I can only imagine what it must take to get those results. Great job.  

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Thanks, Augie, J. and Keith.  Almost into the home stretch now! 

I opted to go with the white - let me know how you think it looks (I borrowed that super-sized penny from Sarah for the pictures)!

post-18-0-56273500-1367202738_thumb.jpg

Overall view - main mast is just loose fit for now.  Once i get the larboard chainplates installed will finally get it stepped and then add the stays and shrouds.  Main stays are just loosely to the eyebolts for the time being. Also finally got the rudder installed and wheelhouse mounted at the stern.

post-18-0-32140800-1367202822_thumb.jpg

Next step is larboard (port) chainplates, then install the main mast, gaff, and associated standing rigging.  Still a bunch of little bits to finish (some cleats, the boats, the binnacle and bell) but starting to sense the end coming near.

Wayne

Epictetus

I wouldn't have thought white, maybe it was the color of the wood that swayed me, but the stark white looks really good as a accent, especially in the full broadside shot.

That penny really puts things in prespective. From a comparison it looks that the paddle wheel housings were about a quarter to 1/2 dollar size. Like I told sarah, the wide part of the paddle for the peterboro is bigger then the paddlewheel, that kinda puts scale in prospective. IIRC the Peterboro was longer the HL also, at least hull length.

Love your build Wayne and thanks for visiting my site.  I wanted you to now that I lived in Fayetteville for several years teaching at the U of A.  GO HOGS!!

Jerry

just caught up with this build ( so may logs to go through :) )

looks really nice Wayne :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Nice progress Wayne, she looks absolutely great.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Looking good there Wayne. I like your penny but it's not mine, your's seems to end in a 4....mine ends in 72! hehehehe  You'll be there soon!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Thanks, Keith, Jerry, Adrieke, Anja, John and Sarah.  I got the chainplates for the port side made last night - with any luck I can install them tonight.  Of course, if I do that, I loose my excuse for not getting the main mast stepped and rigged....

Jerry - I think that, given a choice, I would take Naples over Fayetteville most of the year.  Thanks for stopping by!

Wayne

Epictetus