Harriet Lane by trippwj - Model Shipways - 1:144 Scale

So, continuing to work slowly on the HL.  I have the port chainplates and lower deadeyes installed, but before going any further on the rigging I wanted to take a step back and finish all the deck furniture so as to avoid working around the rats nest of lines.

I am about to start on the catheads - these beasties are tiny.  The piece is 3/32" square.  I am obviously not going to be able to install any sheaves in this.  I think, possibly, maybe, that what I will do is drill a leading and trailing hole for each sheave, then put a very small groove between them to simulate the opening where the sheave would be.  I also think I will follow what is shown on the plan below and just use 2 instead of 3 sheaves.  Any other options you folks can see?

post-18-0-22876900-1367687099_thumb.jpg

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Ahoy Wayne :D

I am watching "eagerly" to see how you deal with this. Inquiring minds want to know

You build is coming along nicely BTW :)

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Your plan is sound Wayne.  Those holes better be about # 78.

Are the catheads painted?  If so, the grooves will be good.  If they are natural you might want to highlight the groove with a bit of pencil to make them stand out.

Steady hand, my friend.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Wayne,

You could use the needle of a seringe to carve the groove in the wood. You will need to cut the needle straight and sharpen it slightly to be able to use it as a chisel

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

J., Augie and Carl -

Thanks for the suggestions.  I opted to stain the cathead.  Here is Mk-I of the cathead,  reeved to a double block with a hook in the anchor chain at the shank.

So - should I re-do this?

Many thanks!

Second cathead - pre-assembly.

post-18-0-24788500-1367886784_thumb.jpg

First cathead - overhead view.  If'n you look closely you can just make out the line in the groove.

post-18-0-62905700-1367886777_thumb.jpg

Side view showing how it will be mounted to the anchor on the model.

post-18-0-02510000-1367886780_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

As for the build, I feel "redos" are entirely up to the Shipwright. Me;I am empressed that anyone can make any of this stuff at that scale. The way you have the anchor rigged to that block is amazing, What are you working with there, five maybe six molecules 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Nice cathead and sheaves Wayne.  I had a tough enough time at 1:64 !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Wayne,

Nicely done.   The technique of "faking in" a sheave is one of my favorites.............

Anchor looks good as well

Sam

Thank you, Sam.  At this small scale it seemed the right thing to do.

Looking forward to the Essex when she comes out!

Wayne

Epictetus

As for the build, I feel "redos" are entirely up to the Shipwright. Me;I am empressed that anyone can make any of this stuff at that scale. The way you have the anchor rigged to that block is amazing, What are you working with there, five maybe six molecules 

I think these work out to about 8 molecules each...you should try working the thread through them thar tiny holes!  Used a #78 drill bit which put it so small the embroidery thread just barely fit through.

Wayne

Epictetus

Nice cathead and sheaves Wayne.  I had a tough enough time at 1:64 !

Thanks, Augie - i am looking forward to trying a couple at the larger scale - although i am a tad concerned that my mistakes will be that much bigger :huh: :huh: :o

Wayne

Epictetus

Thanks, Augie - i am looking forward to trying a couple at the larger scale - although i am a tad concerned that my mistakes will be that much bigger :huh: :huh: :o

Don't panic Wayne.  Even if the mistakes stay just the same size they look smaller at a larger scale :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hello Wayne, :)

Just bumped into your build log. some good construction work indeed. Small scale is always difficult, but you are managing quite well. Keep it up mate. I shall follow this log.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Hey there Wayen,  boy did I have a lot to catch up on!!

Just got done catching up on your log and very nicely moving along!  The heads look great (they are so tiny!!)  

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

• 3 months later...

Not much progress to report, but I think I know how I am going to handle the repair.

As you can see below, the jibboom has broken off cleanly at the mast cap. 

post-18-0-28740400-1377003560_thumb.jpg

As a result, all of the fore stays etc. are now rather slack.

post-18-0-98595800-1377003560_thumb.jpg

I am going to replace the jibboom and all of the fore stays - a couple were not particularly great anyway.  When i do that, I should be able to get a nice uniform tension on them all, and also increase slightly the tension on the back stays (rear most shrouds?)

Wayne

Epictetus

sorry to hear about the spirit boom.......did that happen in the move?   you could drill a hole in the centers and install a brass rod,  but it would probably be best to simply replace the entire part.   you'll fix it......I know you can do it.  if you can move your whole family from arkansas to Maine.......you can move mountains!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wayne.....too bad about the jib..... :(    Guess you'll have to use steam power for a while........ :P

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

good luck on the repair!!!!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick non-progress update.  i have removed all of the offending parts (basically, the jibboom, forestays, etc - pretty much all the rigging forward of the fore mast).  My plan was to resume work by making a new jibboom, but have put that on hold.  Due to circumstances totally of my own foolishness, I have two fingers on my right hand (ring and pinky finger) that are currently less than effective. 

need to give them a few days to heal then will ease back into it (and thanks, Colorado, for the encouragement - I sincerely appreciate it!).

Wayne

Epictetus

Thanks, one and all, for the kind words.  While still a bit sore and not yet back to "normal", the fingers are more flexible and less painful, so have put some time in on the HL this weekend.

Just prior to our packing, the main top mast snapped off right at the cap.  I had repaired it, but alas it did not survive.  Spent the weekend manufacturing a replacement (used a long toothpick as I was out of suitable dowel and didn't want to wait for an order to come in).  While waiting for primer and then paint to dry, I installed the several blocks onto the gaff.  Once the top mast was put into position, I rigged the gaff on a temporary basis just to see how it would look.  I think I need to replace the synthetic kit supplied thread with something better.  This doesn't really want to relax.

Still working on a replacement for the jibboom.  Sanding a 1/8" dowel down to 5/64" and it is taking quite a bit of time.  Of course, if the Dremel had a good charge it probably would have been much easier.

Here are a couple of photos of the main mast with temporary running rigging.  Hope you all had a nice weekend!

post-18-0-23409400-1380487865_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-24074000-1380487866_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-05955300-1380487867_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Epictetus

Simply great photos.  Thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

GREAT to see you back in the shipyard.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I really do need to visit New England some day, the views are quite lovely, thanks for sharing.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Very nice Wayne, and yes Shaz you should visit New England it will be a very worthwhile experience.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

nice bit of progress you've done there.   with the Billing's kits,  I get cotton thread.   it is nice,  but it is the worse,  when it starts to get fuzzy.    I used some of it by staining it with India Ink......does quite well in keeping the hairs down.   if there is a craft store near you,  look in the jewelery dept........I've found some bead threads that work real good.......and they can be found in different thicknesses too.   for the Nordkap and the Cux 87,   I used polished hemp thread.   it's great for large scale kits,  and looks just like real rope.  it is a bit stiff and unruly,  but it can be shaped by pinching it in your fingers.   you'll find something,  I'm sure  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch