Harriet Lane by trippwj - Model Shipways - 1:144 Scale

I think we have a new builder on the forum, no hang on it's Wayne, welcome back mate. :D  :D :D  :D  :D  :D  

Good luck with the new catheads, looking forward to seeing the finished item.

mobbsie

Smart alec!  Thanks, Mobbsie!  Still working on them.  Invested in a new Dremel this weekend - time to move into the power tool age!

ready and waiting for more pictures  :)

Hopefully more pictures this week, Adrieke. 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

you know.......you could have adjusted the angle of your cuts.........but a small detour in scratch building never hurt anyone.  just as long that we don't lose you down the rabbit hole  :)     good to see you back at the table.....looking forward in seeing what you come up with ;)

Not much choice with these - while the first attempt was ok, the angle was all wrong for the location on the hull.  On a real ship, these would have been a single piece so wanted to get rid of the very obvious joint.

No worries on the dark side - I have enough kits to keep me challenged for a year or 3!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Yay! Wayne is back at the table!!

Good to see you back with the project and look forward to more!!

(Nice adjustments to the catheads!!)

Thanks, Adam - the pace I am going, you will have yours done and in a case before I finish my catheads!

Good to see you back at the build again Wayne - now, I just need to motivate myself also   :)

cheers

Pat

Thanks, Pat.  Has been tough getting motivated (too many new things to see and do since the move).  With winter settling in soon, and the early sunset now, I should be back at the table more regularly.

Wayne

Epictetus

I have been continuing work on the catheads - lots of sanding and filing.  Finally have 2 that look almost the same, now to paint them then drill some itty bitty holes at the ends to simulate the sheaves.  No picture of them yet - after the painting and drilling, though.

Also have been reworking both masts.  I opted to stay with the current shrouds on the fore mast (primarily because there would be far too much risk if I took them off to replace the chainplates!).  I have replaced the foremast stays and the running rigging for the gaff on the main mast with some of the line I got from Chuck - this is much easier to work with!  Also rigged the lower yard on the foremast.  Have installed all the chainplates for the main mast, and will (with any luck) be stepping the main mast either tonight or this week.  Need to do a check on other odds and ends that need to be installed on the deck and bulwarks in that area to be sure I get them all in before I lose access with the shrouds etc.

I PROMISE I will have more pictures before the end of the week!

Wayne

Epictetus

Looks good Wayne, like the pictures....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hi Wayne,

Glad to see you are back at it! :)   Then again, it's about the season where you'll have plenty of time work on it.  Being on the edge of civilization, the weather may keep you bottled up for quite a while.... :P   Or perhaps you hibernate? :D :D :D

:cheers:

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

No updates this week - put the catheads aside for a few days while awaiting some new workshop items.  About 1/2 way through installing the main mast - when I get that done will post some pictures of the end result.  Thus far, only one part I am not really thrilled with but unless i want to start the mast over from scratch it will stay as is (that side, for obvious reasons once you see the pictures, will face the wall).

On the road until Friday so no workshop time until then.

Wayne

Epictetus

Note from moderator

Hello Wayne, friends and followers,

Due to the recent course of events this log has undergone some considerable editing.

The off-topic comments have been removed and some posts made by Wayne, his friends and followers have been edited.

I'm truly sorry this had to be done.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

• 4 weeks later...

So - progress continues (SLOWLY!!!).  Too much time on the road this month, but home now through mid-January (with any luck, at least...)

Moving along with the rigging - one backstay left to install on the main mast and then start belaying all these lines.

The doublings get rather busy at this scale!

post-18-0-96068700-1399240167_thumb.jpg

Not the best shot, but gives you an idea of the number of lines involved even at this small scale!

post-18-0-52829500-1399240168_thumb.jpg

Once I get the lines all belayed will start on the ratlines - using fine embroidery thread to try and stay in scale.  WIll be putting them on about 3/32" apart.  I may go blind in the process......

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Epictetus

wonderful update Wayne..........she's looking great!    yepper!  rigging can be a lot of fun ;)   good to see you've made some progress!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looks good Wayne, good to see you back....tedium...it's our lifestyles....

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

Finally some pictures !

It's busy up there Wayne.

Looks like the SI  :D  :D  :D  :D

But great rigging job !

And now you have to finish her  ;)

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Wayne,

Great to meet you on Skype today.  Your Harriet Lane is looking superb - obviously worth the effort of the research and re-dos.  Looking forward to seeing you bring her to completion.

Hi Wayne

Your rigging sure is looking great, looking for more up dates after Christmas. We my Admiral and I want to take this time to wish you and your family a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I want to thank you also for all your help in my quest to find a line drawing of the fishing schooner Annie M. Parker. It looks like I am a lot closer now, but I still have a way to go as yet, Thanks again.   Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

Thank you, Lawrence - it is a pleasure to help where I can with the research on the Annie M. Parker.  She has such an interesting story! 

Wayne

Epictetus

Hi Wayne,

Great to meet you on Skype today.  Your Harriet Lane is looking superb - obviously worth the effort of the research and re-dos.  Looking forward to seeing you bring her to completion.

Thanks, Grant - 'twas a pleasure meeting you as well!  I did locate that bit about cricket - I think I now grasp the broad details, but still uncertain whether it is those that are out who score the run or if it is the ones that are in? 

Oh, well - still don't fully grasp rugby, either, but that is a topic for another time!

Wayne

Epictetus

• 3 weeks later...

Progress continues, albeit very slowly!  Each step now seems to take a goodly bit longer as I plan out the sequence, and at the same time try to keep from blocking other things I still need to do!

The major accomplishment is moving the Model onto the stand - I had to cut down the stanchions about 1/8" but that was fairly straight forward (thanks to the new Dremel!)

View of the Fore mast (with my ships superintendent Almanza).  Have started to belay the lines from the lower lift.

post-18-0-08403500-1389474874_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-39878900-1389474872_thumb.jpg

With all of the shrouds set, I have started on those miserable rat lines.  I have not yet calculated how many are needed - I think I would disolve into a deep funk if i knew!  The shrouds are .018" diameter from Chuck - I love this stuff!  So much easier to work with than the synthetic that came with the kit.

post-18-0-51650800-1389474873_thumb.jpg

Last, a couple of views of the full ship. 

post-18-0-98212700-1389474872_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-66284600-1389474871_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Epictetus

Really coming together nicely, Wayne.  Those shrouds do look good.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looking good Wayne, glad to see you back in the shipyards....

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

rigging looks very good Wayne.   good to see your full speed ahead!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Rigging is looking very nice Wayne. Have to agree with you on Chuck's rigging thread - it's a real treat to work with.

Dont count how many rat lines and knots you have to do, it will overwhelm you, just tackle one shroud at a time, and you will find a nice rhthym and discover, it goes much faster than anticipated.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Really coming together nicely, Wayne.  Those shrouds do look good.

Thanks, Augie.  This is probably my third or fourth iteration on some of it but I like the way it looks overall.

Hi Wayne

Great start on the rigging, she sure is looking good, well done. Do you think that Chucks shrouds are that much nicer, may look into that when I do get a bit closer. I did get some blocks from Chuck , they are great and will be a treat to work with.   Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

Thanks for the kind words, Lawrence.  I can only compare Chuck's line to the synthetic line that came with the kit.  Chuck's is a lot easier to manipulate and form, looks much more natural as well.

Looking good Wayne, glad to see you back in the shipyards....

Thanks, John.  Not much to show but at least I am moving forward again!

Wayne

Epictetus

rigging looks very good Wayne.   good to see your full speed ahead!

Thanks, Popeye.  Not sure full speed is very fast, but it is moving!  Still a great deal of little stuff to do on the deck but can work that around the rigging.

Hi Wayne,

Almost finished........

Great job on the shrouds !

It's a beauty !!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thank you, Sjors!  Not nearly as impressive as your work on the SI, but I am quite pleased for a first build.

Wayne

Epictetus

Rigging is looking very nice Wayne. Have to agree with you on Chuck's rigging thread - it's a real treat to work with.

Thanks, Grant - switching to his rigging thread made a huge difference in both my satisfaction and the ease of rigging!

Wayne

Epictetus

Dont count how many rat lines and knots you have to do, it will overwhelm you, just tackle one shroud at a time, and you will find a nice rhthym and discover, it goes much faster than anticipated.

LOL!  My better half offered to buy some rat poison this weekend if that would make it any easier!

Wayne

Epictetus

LOL!  My better half offered to buy some rat poison this weekend if that would make it any easier!

That approach only works if you take it before you begin.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Really nice work Wayne!  Looks really good and YES, chuck's line really does make a difference!  I havn't had a chance to use it, but when I pulled mine out and spooled them you could tell it was some good stuff!

That finish line is getting closer my friend!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Lawrence,

Do yourself a favour and use Chuck's line for ALL of your rigging. :)

Sorry Wayne - back to your ship.

Edited by gjdale