HMS Bounty Jolly Boat by DCooper - Artesania Latina - 1:25 - SMALL

Your boat looks fantastic. It's very inspirational to me as a beginner myself. I have the ME Bounty Launch in the closet waiting for me to get a bit more experience and build up the nerv to start it. Thanks for taking the time to do a build log. It's a great service. :)

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Progress;

JollyBoat28.jpg

JollyBoat29.jpg

JollyBoat30.jpg

That's pretty much the standing rigging done.  Now for the running rigging and the odds and sods.

Still have no affinity for the rigging but at least some headway made.  Back to work tomorrow so I will have to finish this one on the weekends.

Steve --  I have about six pairs of those cheater glasses scattered though out my work area.  I can't work without them now and I find the cheap 2$ shop ones just as good as my expensive reading glasses.  Well not really the prescription one are perfect for reading :)

Evan-- I am honoured Sir, Glad you like her.

alde -- Give it a go!  Nothing like actually making a start.  Plenty for redoes on mine I can tell you.  And much I would do differently but I didn't know until I tried.

Thanks for all the comments.

Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

So, Seven years.

Sure doesn't seem that long ago....

This one has sat in pride of place in one of my cabinets unfinished all these years.  I get her out from time to time and to dust and clean her.  But I have always been put off working on her as the oars needed making next and I'm not good at making multiples of subassemblies.  I either mess them up or ( ominous foreshadowing ) don't make them all the same.  Well with retirement nearing and the grey hairs multiplying I thought I'd just get on with it.  So here's the results.

1527462161_JollyBoat33.jpg.12ff84b709ac9aff3c1fb7d01f960550.jpg 

Do you see my mistake?  I was so happy they all came out the same size and shape then blew it in the painting.

1299098776_JollyBoat32.jpg.9477625bd2859888427757f8532bd564.jpg

I think I can burry my sins where you can't see it on the model so all is not lost.  
The next step is making a little jig out of brass to help me cut and file all the notches for the oars and to make sure they are all the same size.  I'm terrified that I'll mess up the spacing but can't wait another seven years to work up the courage. So once more into the breach. 

I would like to ask if anyone has some suggestions about trying to save the sails provided in this kit.  They have a horrible dark green rope all around their perimeter which apart from looking dreadful doesn't suit my paint scheme.  I was thinking I could remove and replace it with some heavy neutral coloured line.  There is a good video on Youtube showing how to hand sew it on.  Based on watch that a few times I think I could just manage it.  Thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Here's what came in the box.
1772992669_JollyBoat31.jpg.4ddc84f204abce43405b484d2c3c1d2f.jpg

I'm also looking at the booms and what not left to do.  I was thinking of replacing the cast yoke with a wooden one.  Ideas or suggestions on how to do that?  Lots of things left to do but nice to have a little more progress on the little Jolly boat.  She's one of my favourite of all my models built.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• 1 month later...

I'm building the same kit, my first, and have enjoyed your build log as it helped me out quite a bit.  Hope you don't mind, but I will be using some of your bashing ideas along the way.  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.  Me being a newb, where do you get the inspiration to alter the standing rigging?  It really looks great along with the horse for the boom.   

Edited by Peanut6
delete redundant info

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats