Bounty Launch by KeithW - FINISHED - Model Shipways - SMALL - kitbashed

Thank you for the condolences everyone. If you look at the Viking Ship in my signature, that was made for him. I gave it to him for his 40th birthday, which was not all that long ago. I was going to build a Vasa for him as well. I guess i'll do it for his children.

(edit) here is a picture of us. I'm the Asian guy on the left. Daniel, bless him, has left us.

post-1526-0-54362600-1395678424_thumb.jpg

I don't know why I am still awake. I better go to bed now :(

Edited by KeithW

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thanks again everyone. When I get home, all I want to do is go to my little hobby room and do work. It does keep my mind off things.

Anyway, I have finished painting the figure of Captain Bligh. This is what he looked like:

post-1526-0-54255900-1395751671.jpeg

I tried my best to sculpt a figure in his likeness. I think I have only partially succeeded.

For those who are interested in painting technique, this is how I did it:

1. Sculpt the figure and thoroughly sand it. Then clean it in soapy water and dry.

2. Prime the figure using the recommended primer for your brand of paint (I used Mr. Hobby Primer, which works for the Vallejo paints I am using).

3. Apply a uniform base coat - in this case: flesh for face and hair, blue for jacket, ivory white for vest and trousers, leather brown for boots.

4. Use a wet palette to blend colours, then repaint the figure.

This is how a wet palette works.

post-1526-0-53592500-1395751689_thumb.jpg

Place absorbent material in a container. In this case, I used a disposable plastic lid with disposable kitchen wipe.

post-1526-0-06872500-1395751694_thumb.jpg

Fill the palette with water until it is slightly below the level of the folded kitchen wipe, then place plain paper on top (I used typing paper).

post-1526-0-83898900-1395751700_thumb.jpg

Add your colours and blend. Here are the three colours I used to paint the face - basic flesh, red, and beige. You can see that the variation in colour is smooth, allowing me to paint different parts of the face in subtly different shades.

post-1526-0-46782100-1395751705_thumb.jpg

Using the blended paint, paint your figure. I like Vallejo because the pigments seem to be ground much more finely than other brands, so it is good for detail work.

Why use a wet palette instead of a normal (dry) palette? Two reasons: 1) it keeps your paint from drying out. Vallejo acrylics dry VERY FAST. If you use a dry palette, you are racing against time to paint your figure. 2) it helps dilute the paint and makes it flow better.

It is now more than 24 hours since I painted my figure, and the paint in the wet palette is still usable even though conditions here in Melbourne are pretty dry and warm at the moment.

Edited by KeithW

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

Great work on your William R Bligh, Keith ... although he does look a little on the grumpy side.

(I guess that's what made him such a great leader)

:)

I'd really like to have something similar sitting at the back of my Launch. 

What material is he made from ??

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks Steve. You would be grumpy too if you were sitting in a crappy boat that I built :)

Bligh was made from Super Sculpey. Read Chuck's instructions on how to use Sculpey here: http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-furniture-and-deck-fittings.php

Also look at Doris' Royal Caroline build log. Somewhere in there she has a tutorial (with video) on how to use Sculpey.

Edited by KeithW

Regards, Keith

Yep. I've watched Doris' video. I think I'll give it a shot ... a bit further down the track.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Haha I don't agree with you about the crappy boat, but I do love Captain Bligh! 

I thought you had done a great job sculpting but the painting has brought him to life (and thank you for the details on the wet palette too)  He looks terrific!

Yes Steve, thanks for the tutorial on the wet palette technique. I have filed that one away for later.

• 2 months later...

After a few months hiatus from modelling I am back, with some new toys to play with. First, my new lathe - a Sherline model 4410. Here it is pictured with the optional 4 jaw chuck, holding an oar:

post-1526-0-58303300-1403451959_thumb.jpg

Here are some oars. The from bottom to top: cut from the kit, (middle) after turning on the lathe, (top) after being sanded down with my new Byrnes disc sander:

post-1526-0-12582500-1403451963_thumb.jpg

post-1526-0-66376900-1403451968_thumb.jpg

And finally, a picture of my model as of right now. Note that I have added BOUNTY lettering to the prow of the boat:

post-1526-0-06097600-1403451975_thumb.jpg

post-1526-0-41221100-1403451979_thumb.jpg

I have to finish this model - it is taking way too long! And I have to make room in my modelling space for my next project, WHICH HAS FINALLY ARRIVED!!!!!!! I am excited and intimidated at the same time. Watch this space for a new build log very soon!

Regards, Keith

Ah, and she's a fine little boat. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Keith you have done a fine job on the boat, your Bligh looks great also.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you Bindy, Bob, Michael, and Rich. The boat is FINISHED! I am waiting for my DSLR to return (I have loaned it to a good friend to take some honeymoon pics), then I will take some studio shots of this boat. I could have done more work on it as per the other build logs - e.g. make cutlasses, turn the barrels, etc. - but it would have made the finished result look too busy. Well that's my excuse anyway. Members in Melbourne will be able to see it tomorrow night when I bring it to the club meeting.

The real reason was to clear space so that I can get started on my next project, HMS Royal William (see my signature).

Edited by KeithW

Regards, Keith

Massive congratulations on your finished build Keith!!!

i can't wait to see all of the photos when you do get a chance.  I am guessing that this wonderful hobby is like writing, or painting in that when you are finished there is always more things you could do, or things you could re-do and if you did you would never ever finish haha.

I can't wait to see all you do with your Royal William :)

• 1 month later...

Keith, just found a read through your log, wonderful work and a great result - well done indeed.  I really appreciate you sharing your techniques!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 1 month later...

VERY WELL DONE KEITH.

MARIO

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

• 3 years later...

Keith, I just want to say a big "thank you" for this build log. I know it's over three years since the last post, but that doesn't make my message any less relevant. I initially stumbled across your build on the overclockers forum a couple of weeks ago, and as a result of your work, I've now been inspired to have another go at wooden ship modelling (after a miserable failure 10 years ago). I aspire to your level of craftsmanship and attention to detail.

From one Aussie to another, well played mate!