'HMS Victory - Building, Restoration and Repair' by A R Bugler.

I am very lucky to have received the full two volume copy of this book and plans from my partner AJM77.

From what I can see it is an excellent book and set of plans for Victory.

Has anyone else got a copy or seen one and what is their opinion? Can't find any review online.

Jim

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

You are indeed a fortunate fellow, Jim! While I don't own a copy, I have seen this tome. It appears to show the ship's restoration and only fairly reflects her state at that time. It does not show the ship 'as built' or in her various other intermediate appearances. I understand that some of the features of her restoration have since been queried or disproved. That said, it appears to be an excellent and exhaustive document on her 20th century restoration.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 1 month later...

Both of books are excellent but do not expect that either one shows the ship exactly as it is today or at Trafalgar. You will need to use multiple sources and even then make a couple of choices. The focsle bulkwarks are one of the most contentious issues. The carvings on the taffrail are another.

Not to wax too poetic. But a real wooden ship is a living thing. It changes continously if slowly over time. These national treasures that are preserved for hundreds of years also reflect the vision of thier successive caretakes over the years

Good luck and please post picture of the results

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

• 1 month later...

Not to wax too poetic. But a real wooden ship is a living thing. It changes continously if slowly over time. These national treasures that are preserved for hundreds of years also reflect the vision of thier successive caretakes over the years

Michael, if you are quoting this (or, perhaps an original thought on your part,. . . great), we have to remember that 'real wooden ships', small or large, can be indeed a treasure. And when we build a model, we hope that it will be saved by some of our kids or others, with or without our names as the modeler.. 

However, if it is a 'real' ship (or boat as I used to have), it is not a living thing but a 'pleasure'.

I had many of the latter in the San Francisco Bay.

Sorry, I just had to throw this out.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

• 8 years later...

Re: A.R.Bugler's "'H.M.S. Victory': Building, restoration & repair Hardcover".

I think the best description of this publication was the one said to me by a friend of mine, the late Rod Searl, at the time Honorary Curator of Sailing Ships at the Melbourne Museum here in Victoria, Australia.

After showing me his copy he strongly advised me, if I was ever going to the UK, to buy my own copy. 2-3yrs later I did but unfortunately, 20+ yrs afterwards, it was lost during a house sale/move.

Rod's description included the statement "You could build Victory from it". I still think that sums it up!