HMS Victory by gil middleton - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:72

Gil - Now who is talking about an Obituary? Rocking chair? Somehow I don't see that fitting you.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Floyd,  I decided some time ago that life is so interesting and full of challenges that there wasn't room for a rocker in retirement.  However, I never get as much done as I'd like.  Some day, I might even learn how to make a R/C sailboat and you can be the professor.

Canoe, or is it Lawrence?  The gear diameter is 32mm (1 1/4"). I think the cost from Ahow Models was about $45.

Good luck on your build.

Cheers, Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Hi Gil, I think I read somewhere that you are a retired surgeon. Well, i'm a physician! I wish I was a surgeon, it would help with all those fine cuts and knots. I suppose that's why my model looks like a complete shambles compared to yours! 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Amfibius,  The knots are a given. Around a gazillion I'd guess. However, when you finish your build, they will play classical Russian music and hold learned discussions on European history. On mine, we'll tie knots.  I couldn't find your build log. Have you started one?  Cheers, Gil

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Gil, I have a completed model of the HMS Bounty by AL which I am too ashamed to post. My other models were a San Francisco and a steam powered boat which I gave away. I am waiting for my next model to arrive, which will be the Viking Oseberg ship by Amati. After that, I am thinking of attempting the Wasa. The Caldercraft Victory is on my bucket list, but I don't think I will live that long! 

By the way I just looked up where you live on the map. I have been to Seattle! I think I may have driven past Kirkland on my way to Vancouver, but I am not sure if that was the route my friends took (they were doing the driving). If I head over to Seattle again I would love to drop in and take a look at your beautiful ship! We tend to go somewhere for a ski holiday every year, but for the past couple of years all of us have felt rather poor so we've been skiing in Australia :( 

Edited by Amfibius

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Continuing with the fore topmast yard.  The parral was fashioned with brass deviders (partially blackened to simulate wood) and glass beads. The beads showed an unnatural gloss.post-68-0-21019700-1364332653_thumb.jpg

A touch of flat clear acrylic toned down the glossy look.post-68-0-64127000-1364332720_thumb.jpg

JoTika specifies the topmast yard tie passing through a "shroud truck" before reaching the tackle.  I missed that while rigging the yard ties, but solved the problem by making my own shroud trucks.  What!  You don't know what a shroud truck is?  Neither did I. Longridge shows the truck.post-68-0-11069600-1364333020_thumb.jpg

I looked in all my 350 photos of the real ship and could not find (or recognize) a truck in the shrouds.  What I did find was a sliding block in the topmast yard tie tackle. Instead of the yard tie passing through a shroud truck, the upper block slides up and down on the shroud.post-68-0-77030000-1364333318_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-94161600-1364333350.jpg

Having no reference as to which was correct, I opted for the simpler shroud truck which seemed more likely to have been used  in 1805. David Steel, "The elements and Practice of Rigging and Seamanship, 1794, mentions Shroud Trucks used in the rigging. Perhaps our naval historians will set us straight. Rather than use the castings, which needed to be placed before completing the tackle, I made the shroud trucks from 3/32" O.D. styrene tubing, cutting a slot lengthwise to fit over the yard tie and bevelling the edges in order to lash the truck to the shroud.post-68-0-70246700-1364333871_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-43390200-1364333909_thumb.jpg

A simple drawing (or scratching on a telephone pad) shows the process.post-68-0-24179900-1364334026_thumb.jpg

The topmast yard tie passing through the truck which is lashed to the shroud..post-68-0-46967300-1364334113_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-13877400-1364334138_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-49489700-1364334159_thumb.jpg

This arrangement was likely used to avoid fouling the yard tie with the shrouds in high winds.  If left off in a model, I wonder who would notice. But what fun would that be.  Cheers, Gil

Edited by gil middleton

adding in the little details like these,  is what make this build so interesting Gil.  your build is the first that I've ever seen of these........so cool!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

You are the best. Thanks for this post.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

That's really cool Gil. You're certainly setting the standard! The Gold Standard, that is!!!

What a professional...I finished my Jotika Victory yards last June, and then I decided to make the boats. I have not even started the rigging yet. But, I could rig the cannons somewhat satisfactory.. so maybe I'll succeed. And Gil has given (a) great guidance, thank You!

Edited by Modelman

HI Gil,

I just re-read your log and I'm still impressed with what you are doing.

Thanks for the detail pictures of the rigging.

I enjoy every shroud and rope that i see.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Erebus and Terror (Not a great name for a ship. Sort of like the time between leaving the surface and hitting the bottom.)  But many thanks.  And Modelman, nice to hear from Finland.  Popeye, Mort and Grant, Daniel, Kooyu and Sjors:  a gathering of old friends at a model workshop.  Thanks for your kind comments. 

Those of us that have never sailed in a square rigger, (me) would do well to note that the JoTika rigging plan calls for the yards to be down, as might be the case during a refit, prolonged moorage or even in severe gales or storms at sea, lowering the center of gravity of the ship.

Critiquing my rigging, the upper Jeer blocks of the lower yards should be more tightly adjacent to the tops, allowing slightly more travel to raise the yards.  The topmast yards on the other hand, can be raised the full length of the yard tyes forward of the mast, while the tackle for the yard tyes (aft of the mast), needs a scope at least as long as the tyes forward. (photos below)

It is difficult to imagine a ship's crew striking (taking down) the topmast and topgallant mast in the most severe storm conditions and later hoisting the masts, yards and rigging at sea.  And we think model rigging is a challenge. 

Main topmast yard tyes forward of the mast, showing how far the yard can be raised before bending on the sail.post-68-0-39800000-1364511542_thumb.jpg

Yard tye tackle aft of the mast.post-68-0-47996500-1364511816_thumb.jpg  And a better view showing the scope of the tackle.post-68-0-51310200-1364511879_thumb.jpg

Tackle attached to an eye bolt on the channel.post-68-0-24382800-1364511966_thumb.jpg

Main topmast yard tye tackle terminating at kevel just forward from the poop deck ladder.post-68-0-64532800-1364512054_thumb.jpg

A better looking shroud truck.post-68-0-09259500-1364512109_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-11164400-1364512122_thumb.jpg

rigging I've never seen before.......even at 1:96 scale.....superb workmanship.......emphasize the word 'ship'!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Gil,

What a superb job you are making of this build of the Victory. I have read somewhere that attaching the Topsail Halliard Blocks to the Backstays as shown in the HMS Victory pic was a safety feature so to speak. This was done to prevent them falling onto the deck if the Ties were severed during battle,they could just slide down the Backstays to the Channels. A falling 26" double block could do a lot of damage :mellow: Not sure if this was a permanent fixture though. The Ties did run through trucks on the Backstays as you have done.

Keep up the good work :dancetl6:

Dave :)

Gil,

You might want to take a daysail on Lady Washington when she's in the area. If there's a little wind you can help them "Let go and Haul".

I find that sailing (both on our boat and other boats) helps me better understand and appreciate the hows and whys of boat/ship design-which translates into a more accurate model.

Thanks,

Harvey

One of my finest actual sailing experiences was sweating the jib on the Californian. I had my feet firmly planted on the bulwarks and heaving with all my might on the Staysail Jib sheet as she sailed under the gate. It was over 20 years ago and i still remember that day. :D

More recently I had a chance for a sail on the Amastad. The crew thought I was weird. I didn't want to sit aft like the other tourists and hear the story of the history. I wanted to Sail! And I was willing to pay for the chance to spend 1 day as a member of the crew.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

I know some New Englanders have little affection for "Dude Schooners", but you can learn a lot by spending a week on one. We spent a week on the Lewis R French out of Rockland about 20 years ago, and it was really enlightening to learn the workings of an old schooner. And I still want to go back!

Thanks,

Harvey

Popeye, I think it's called Nautical Trivial Pursuit.

Dave, thanks for the insight.  A couple weeks ago, I'd never heard of a shroud truck.

Harv and Floyd,  hearing you guys reminisce about sailing adventures brings to mind the smell of salt air and visions of the open sea. I think it's about time to paint, varnish and head up the coast.

Cheers, Gil

Gil - Can I be your Son or Grandson for 2 weeks? My wife just doesn't understand. she says unless the water is warm she isn't going. And if I leave her behind she will go off the Italy with our daughter.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Hello Gil

I read through your log last night and didnt comment as I just didnt know what to say.

Your work is just fantastic. The detail is so perfect that sometimes I'm not sure if your photographing your build of sneaking in pictures of the real deal.

The Mast/Yard and rigging detail is great and I have a hard time believing you get that perfect finish from water base paints.

This place and the builds never cease to amaze me.

One thing I wanted to comment on is the scale of your ratlines. It seems that the ratlines to shroud size is almost always too close to the same size, probably due to the material provided by the kits. Your ratlines are just amazing in there proportions, but then all your rigging is amazing to me.

As a new person to this hobby I really appreciate the build logs of such great models, it give me a goal to aspire to. As well as a tutorial to always reach greater heights.

Thanks for reviving this one, I'm glad your son was able to retrieve the pictures. Give him our thanks.

Ah, the Mad chemist, or is it Keith?  Thanks so much for your comments.  I agree with you completely. On the old log, I commented that the line labelled 0.1 mm appeared to me to be 0.2 mm or larger, or about twice the size of what would be in scale.  Also, while JoTika specified the natural line for the ratlines, against the black shrouds, the appearance was almost white. I eventually toned down the contrast using a black "wash" literally painting the ratlines with a very dilute black paint which helped somewhat.  In retrospect, I would have chosen to use black thread for the ratlines.  Hopefully, we never stop learning.  Cheers, Gil

Edited by gil middleton

Keith of tmc is fine. Actually I answer to anything, just dont call me late for supper.

The white/light ratlines are quite stark but with pictures its always hard to tell colours, as with the yellow ocre which looks bright yellow in some photos probably due to the flash.

If you don't mind my asking, is there a fee for passing through the Panama canal? That trip you took sounds like a great adventure. I cant even imagine what it was like back before radio contact.

John, Always nice to hear from my mentors, Many thanks.

Keith,  If I recall, the fee was about $1,800 each way. That covered an agent, Pilot (every boat is required to have a pilot aboard) and four line handlers or fewer depending on the boat's crew.  However, that was in 1999 and 2002.  It would be a little less without an agent, but then one might wait for three weeks to get through and miss the weather windows for hurricanes etc. It was indeed a great adventure.  Cheers, Gil

Thank You Gil for the added information.

Your indeed lucky to have experienced such an adventure. I dont know about anyone else, and I don't mean to pry (if so, tell me so) but I would love to hear more tales about the adventure. For the land locked people like myself, my imagination can not even start to conceive what it was like or involved. I grew up a navy brat and can remember going on board ship with dad, but we moved from the coast when I was in the 5th grade. I've always missed it.

I can only imagine that it changed the way you view the world, something so fantastic had to be life changing.

Nikos Mikro

Καλώς ήλθατε στο μοντέλο πλοίου κόσμο (Welcome to Model Ship World). My Greek is zero, but it is amazing what computers can do. Thanks.  Gil

Keith,  I suspect that opening a dialog on our three year offshore adventure could overtake the build site. Perhaps I can start a dialog under "General Discussion."  Cheers, Gil